• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How to pass

Guest Katiecambell

Guest Katiecambell

Can anyone give me some tips on how to be more passable in appearance? Any make up tricks for mtf? I have a hard time applying my mAke up and unsure if I do it right.

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Katiecambell,

If you look at You Tube Videos, there are a lot of Good Make-Up Tutorials.

Also, do you have a girlfriend or other female relatives they would also be a good source for Make-Up Tips.

Just because you are MTF, the Make-Up tips are very similar.

Additionally, the more you practice the better you will become at it.

I do not know how comfortable going out, but many shopping centers have stores that contain a Beauty & Make-Up section.

Usually, if you buy their products, they will show you how to apply them.

Avon sales reps are also a good source. Remember, salespeople want you to purchase their products so they are willing to show you how to use them.

Hopefully, this is of some help to you.

Hugs,

Carla

Guest Katiecambell

In am not out yet and the one girlfriend I got that knows lives in another state I will try you tube some of the videos I found hard to follow in the past.

Guest Bellexia

Attitude. Go out with confidence, if you are nervous the entire time people will pick up on that. Appearance wise, carla is spot on, hit up a friend, youtube has a million videos for this and always practice practice practice :)

Eyeliner was always the hardest for me, I ended up switching to a liquid, I can use the pencil now easier as well, you just gotta practice sug. That is always the biggest thing, makeup takes time, trial and error.

• Admin

It took me nearly 8 years to get my makeup to where it is today, which, if not passing, is acceptable and appropriate. (Lets face it mine has to be acceptable and appropriate since I am full time.) Your first goal should be general skin care, and that includes elements of your (shudder) shaving (shudder) such as deep skin cleansing and moisturizing using almost any regimen you can afford. This will help make your face a "blank canvas" for your other make up. For general makeup, less is the best. I do not use eyeliner most of the time, but do have some fun type metallic sparkle for special occasions. Forget about mascara as one of the first things to learn. Go for a foundation that closely matches you skin color, but that evens out the color and hides blemishes and razor nicks. Most beauty supply stores have sample pallets of eyeshadow, which is my next step in learning preference. Start with one color and go for the three I generally use, one on the actual eyelid, one on the upper area between eyelid and brow, and a third and darkest one in the crease between the lid and brow process.

When you take off the makeup, also carefully wash and mositurize your face. No more than one or two remakes per day since most people I know get tired and screw it up big time.

• Forum Moderator

I have spent some time working on "my look". It has turned out fairly simple. A little powder on my nose, mascara, eyebrow penciled in and a touch of rouge to highlight my cheeks back to my ears.

It seems to be enough and goes quickly so i can get on with the day. I am fortunate in having a light beard in both color and density so i don't need to mask it. As i have seen that is the hardest thing to mask if your beard is dense and dark.

Once you are comfy the rest seems to fall into place and we can simply be ourselves.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Sarah Faith

Katie, I learned how to do my makeup relatively quickly by obsessively researching on youtube. Another thing that helps especially when starting out with makeup is to keep in mind that less is more, don't try to over do it work on the basics first and go from there.

Sarah

Guest Katiecambell

Thanks. I am going to take all this advice work on it over the next few weeks and post some pics and see what everyone thinks of my progress.

Unfortunately, when I first started "dressing" in the late 90's/early 00's, there wasn't any youtube or tsroadmap, so I bought a book I found at Barnes & Nobles called Making Faces by Kevin Aucoin; it was a great introduction into the world of make-up application and I still highly recommend it for anyone starting out.

And, as always, confidence in yourself, and lots and lots of love too! :)

• Admin

Kevyn Aucoin had about 3 or 4 makeup books that helped me out too. They are still in print.

Guest Katiecambell

here is my first experiment with make up just basic lip stick eye shadow and mascara. and thanks for the book recommendations I will defiantly look into them.

• Admin

Both wigs would be OK but you have both of them too far down on your forehead to be as pretty and realistic as they should be. Here is a link to my gallery that shows where the wig goes on your forehead http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?app=galleryℑ=7734 and sits in relation to your eyebrows. I posted those pictures, along with three basic wig styles because I do get questions from newer girls about this. Another tip is to brush tnem out with a wide, plastic bristled brush while holding the wig by the front, and brushiing from the tips up to the roots / wefting so the hairs are all eparatedd. Turn the wig around, hold it by the neck edge, and then do the same thing. Don't worry if a fair amount of fiber comes out in the brush, all wigs have 5 to 6 times the fiber it takes to look good.

Also, try a bit more smile!!

Guest Amanda Whyte

I like the darker one better but both are nice.

Vicky, I ALWAYS put my wig on too far down. My friend always adjusts it for me. It just feels like it is going to fall off that far back. I know it is the right way but just doesnt feel right.

• Admin

Vicky, I ALWAYS put my wig on too far down. My friend always adjusts it for me. It just feels like it is going to fall off that far back. I know it is the right way but just doesnt feel right.

For a feeling of security, use actual hair pins or bobby pins through the wig wefting into your own hair. It also helps you to ehjoy the motion of your hair. A wig cap can also help the feeling. Also be sure to adjust the elastic at the back of the wig so that it goes under the two bumps at the lower back of your skull, but not so tight as to give you a head ache.

• Forum Moderator

Katie, I like the darker one as well. Definitely try putting it up a bit. Also if the bangs are in your eyes have them trimmed. Most wig stores or chemo support groups will recommend a trip to the hairdresser with a new wig. I give the bangs on the one i love now myself but have enjoyed professional help as well. It isn't easy to do if your not comfortable in the outside world but it helps if you can. And Amanda is right smiling makes all of us prettier. I have spent my life trying to get women to smile and now i just try to do it. Easy when your happy and i usually choose to be. Frowning just hurts.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Katiecambell

This is me. I have been taking every ones advice and wanted to post a picture to see what everyone thinks. feel free to critique it and let me know what I need to change to look more lady like. thanks :)

• Forum Moderator

I'm sorry Katie but the images are a little small and dark for me to try to help. I do notice the smile . I think i spent much of my life trying to get women to smile. They always are prettier smiling and i try to remember that. I give smiles as a gift as i can. I think we are all prettier with that smile.

Hugs,

Charlie