• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Fashion for 20-something's

Guest AliceHakurei

Guest AliceHakurei

I'm really naive when it comes to fashion. My dad and stepmom helped me pick out my first set of women's clothes, but my mom says I look kind of dated, or am not dressing my age. I'm wondering what brands are the best for girls in their 20s, and what styles. I don't want anything that is too sexy, like halter or strapless, or really short skirts, but I would like to know what kinds of things I should be wearing. Are there good fashion websites? Are there specific do's and don'ts? I've kind of had it with having to wear nice guy clothes to certain events because my mom won't let me wear anything girly because it seems too dated.

Guest Sarah Faith

Yeah largely what Maria B said, Denim Shorts and Jeans are both pretty popular, summer dresses too.. I go with jeans and various kinds of graphic women's tees all the time, Personally when I shop for clothes I just try to buy what speaks to my personality. :)

Guest nomnomnom

I tend to dress like a business woman every day with pencil skirts and expensive looking tops. Mainly because my dresses seem to keep getting shorter by themselves :S

agreed with what everyone else says. Just casual jeans and a flowing top, maybe a cardigan

• Forum Moderator

I'm an old thing so dressing 20 is way in the rear mirror but the young girls i see are mostly in jeans with simple tops or long skirts. Regions and tastes vary. Try going to the mall and looking at what most of the girls are wearing in your region. For me, at least, it is more important to blend in than to create a fashion statement.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Sabrinaxx

It depends, I'd say try on different stuff and find your style. When I bought my first clothing I went for a dress and then I bought a skirt and jeans to see what I liked and fit me best. Still you can find me wearing something simple at one day and something very colorful or edgy on the next. At the moment I'm very into skinny jeans paired with blazers. I don't know too much about shops in the USA, but I like shopping at H&M and forever 21.

What also helped me was looking at what my friends were wearing and picking out what I liked. Once I was out I ended going shopping with them. I don't know if you do this as well, but since they're likely to be your age they probably know what is age appropriate.

Guest LauraJen

I tend to dress like a business woman every day with pencil skirts and expensive looking tops. Mainly because my dresses seem to keep getting shorter by themselves :S

This is pretty much what my dress sense is, simply because it's my personal style, and it's just what I identify with. For a few years I tried out various kinds of clothes. A lot of the times when I am seen in female mode these days it is in a blouse and a skirt. Maybe when in full time though I would opt for jeans sometimes.

To the OP, within reason there isn't really a way you should dress. I probably dress slightly older than my age (I'm 23) but I often get complimented on my choice of clothes, plus I identify with what I wear, so does it really matter? As long as you're not dressing provocatively, just go with what you feel you identify with and, as Sarah said, what speaks to your personality.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I personally wouldn't go by whatever Cosmo has in their issues because a lot of it is so darn expensive!

I think the best way to go about this is to simply go to mall stores that cater to your age range.

I'm talking Wet Seal, Charlotte Russe, Aeropostle, Abercrombie & Fitch.

Whatever is in style right now, they'll carry it. It may not be in the magazines but if it's in one of these stores, it won't be dated and out of style.

Perhaps go in with your dated clothes and find a cute, nice lady employee your age and tell her you need a style makeover but you have a limited budget and want to get like one outfit to start with and some ideas for other outfits that you can get later.

or if you don't want to go the "She's All That" route with the dramatic makeover, again go to said stores and look around and see what you like and what you don't like. Pick out things you like and/or look good on you and see what else you can pair it with. You cannot cannot cannot go wrong with a great pair of jeans that are figure flattering and the right length. You can dress them up, dress them down. The key is finding a pair that works with your body, not a pair that's just 'okay'.

And if you're trying stuff on, get an opinion of one of the other girls in there, not necessarily a store employee but a fellow customer by saying "how do you think this looks on me?"

Good luck and have fun! Fashion should be fun, not a chore. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Try:

forever21.com, bebe.com, bcbg.com, gojane.com, asos.com, singer22.com, nastygal.com <3

You could also explore the teenvogue.com website (not just for teens!), and look up and follow a few fashion blogs on tumblr.com

• 7 months later...