• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Doctors visit

Guest kimberly c

Guest kimberly c

Hi Girls, have been to a woman doctor in the past few months, during these visits she has seen me from the waist down. My

legs were not shaved even though my upper body is. The question is my next visit will be for a physical and this

time of year I do shave my legs, should I go clean shaven its natural for me.

Love Kim

• Admin

I would say go however you are most comfortable. It shouldn't make any difference to the doctor.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest ~Phoebe~

I have gone to see my personal physician dressed in female attire. The doctor never questioned my appearance. I also have an INR test every two weeks at the clinic for blood coagulation as I take warfarin. I visit the anti-coagulation nurse after the blood test to go over the results and discuss any changes in dosage. I visit her in female attire and she has never questioned my appearance. A few weeks ago a new lab technician came out to the waiting room looking for me. He didn't call my name and went over to the reception desk to see I I had checked in. Then he came back, called my name and he looked surprised as I was wearing a skirt, women's top, make up and I have my hair permed. So he was not expecting to see a male dressed as female :rolleyes: . The technician didn't mention my appearance and took me to the lab to draw blood.

I went to the hospital about a month ago on an emergency. I had one of my congestive heart failure events and called the EMT's via 911. I had painted my finger nails bright red a few days before, I was wearing grey warm up pants with a pink stripe down the sides of the legs and pink low rise socks. I was wearing pink panties, but never had to pull down my pants to reveal those :blush: . One of the emergency nurses seen my female type pants and socks and red nails. He asked me if I were on hormones. I just responded I liked to dress in female attire. He accepted that answer and nothing more was said. I spent three days in cardiac care unit. All the nurses both male and female never questioned my appearance, one female nurse commented on my red painted fingernails though. Said she didn't paint her nails as wearing latex gloves when dealing with patients caused the nail polish to stick to the gloves. One day one of the nurses was wearing a faux pearl necklace, I told her it looked nice and she said it was 'pearl Friday'. I said I forgot my pearls at home and she had a good laugh B).

Phoebe

Hi Kim,

I really wouldn't worry about it. First time I got examined by a female Doctor at my local VA hospital, she was like, "Darn, you have less hair on your legs than me!" :lol:

So woman don't always shave down there all the time anyway.

Cassie

• 1 month later...

Like everyone else has already said you should definitely go however you like. All doctors in general whom I have met have all been very non - judgmental and have all been extremely professional in how they have treated myself. If your doctor does make you feel uncomfortable and / or treat you in a judgmental way then DEFINITELY find another doctor.

Doctors would meet and treat ALL types of people both good and bad and I strongly believe that the transgender community would not be a group of people whom the general doctor would have a problem with. EVERY single doctor I have dealt with who knows of myself being a transsexual has treated myself in an extremely compassionate, professional and caring way.

For me the only problem that I have had in seeing a doctor who either already knows or is going to find out of myself being a TS has been my own insecurities.

Wishing you the best of luck! KimberlyC

Guest KatyDesire

Kimberley, any doctor with a half decent training has pretty much seen it all. (trust me on this - I'm a doctor!) They are trained to look dispassionately at a patient. If you walked in with three heads they would probably just check to see if they could write you up for a medical journal article, and start a discussion with all three of you!

The reason s/he needs to know is that it could make her more alert to certain medical disorders, for example breast cancer in a genetic male, severe depression, and so on.

So while you might find it a bit embarrassing, she is really only worried about your medical condition - and the hot date she has on Friday ;-)

Your doctors office is really somewhere you should feel safe. If you don't, get another doctor.

Hugs.