• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Makeup

Guest kimberly c

Guest kimberly c

Hi Girls, I would like to know where is the best store to learn about makeup. It would be better for me to learn

in person than from a youtube video. Thanks.

Love Kim

Hey Kim,

If you have a Macys close by they are good at showing you how to do your make up and what works well with your skin tone and eye color.

Kattja Katt >^..^< Mew

• Admin

Sephora, MAC or Ulta are all very welcoming to us, and have quality products. I won't tell you how much I have spent at all of them, even my heart skips a beat thinking about it. My hair stylist is at my local Ulta salon and she is great. Your first goal is to find your foundation color and possibly DAY eye makeup. Get the materials for it, go home, practice, and go back later for evening and special event help.

• Forum Moderator

It is certainly best to learn with a person in real life. Be advised however that every one of us is different. Some stores will sell you more than you need. I find that i don't need a foundation but just use a touch of powder. Like so many things we are at a disadvantage as we didn't have the help of our moms or girlfriends to help us develop a style. Finding that style takes a bit of time but is so much fun.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Kimberly,

I have also had good luck with Macy's.

I am also going to try Sephora's. They have a service called "Customized Make-Up Application"

It cost $50.00 for a complete Facial Makeover, and the $50.00 is applied to the cost of the Make-Up you purchase, so the service is really FREE.

If you should decide on Sephora's, they have a large Make-Up Collection.

When I called Sephora's HQ, they recommended that I start with the Sephora Collection which is the cheapest line because you will need to practice, practice and practice.

I wish you Success in your Make-Up Journey,

Hugs,

Carla

• Admin

I've also been going to Sephora from the start, largely because of the friendly and helpful staff. Like all department store cosmetics, theirs are pricey, but the quality is good. I bought a set of brushes three years ago, and I'm still using the same ones.

I had help from my son's GF on the application techniques, but I'm sure the store staff will be just as good. Just don't get pushed into stuff you don't want or need (mascara is over rated, IMHO). Some cosmetics at lower end stores are fine. Lip gloss, eye liner and eyebrow pencils from Maybeline and CoverGirl are good, and not at all expensive. Good luck, hon.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rosabella

I love Sephora. They have been so accepting, pleasant, helpful with picking out make-up and showing me how to put it on by putting it on me in the store. I've been to three different ones and everyone in all of them are very helpful.