• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

"Turnabout Intruder," a Star Trek Memory

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

"Turnabout Intruder" was the very last episode of the original series, with Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, et. al. It is widely derided as sexist, badly acted, and suggests that overly ambitious women are probably mentally unstable.

I was talking to a colleague today about Star Trek, and this episode popped into my mind. How many of you have seen it, or know about it? The memory brought back strong emotions, for reasons that will make sense to most of you.

The plot involves a brilliant and beautiful woman who was spurned by a young James Kirk. She harbors a lifelong resentment of his career, his power, his virility, and comes to hate her own body, which she considers to be a "prison" of sorts. Sound familiar, FtM's? She comes into possession of an alien device, that she tricks Kirk into, that switches her mind with his. He wakes up in a female body, and for most of the show, no one (rightly so) believes him when he says he is Kirk.

So why my strong memories of this? Not because it was Emmy Award material, for sure. Imagine how a trans teen would feel, seeing a character's male mind suddenly and "magically" put inside the body of a beautiful woman. Oh, my goodness, how I did daydream after watching that episode; imagining myself in Kirk's place, being put inside that body, and instead of wanting out, wanting more than anything to stay right there. :( Over and over again, I played that scenario inside my head, thinking how wonderful such a device would be, and how sad that it was just a T.V. show.

FtM's would, of course, identify with the female character, but only insofar as the desire to leave her body, not in a desire to hurt anyone else.

Fantasy can be a useful thing. It can inspire and instruct and give rise to dreams. I still don't have that machine, but I've achieved some measure of that dream that I had back in 1969. :) As for Kirk, he should never have given that body back. LOL!

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Motormouth18

I have the last season on DVD(I'm a huge trekkie). I'll have to dust it off, re-watch that particular episode, and then I'll give my feedback of it.

Most of TOS had women in situations/positions that I don't like/wouldn't want to be in.

Guest fantomphlame

I remember that episode so well. It always made me sad afterwards, but I always wanted to see it again anyway because of how much I longed to be released from my birth-assigned gender. When I was younger, my parents would do runs of their DVD set of the show, and I always wondered why that episode was taboo. Until I talked to them about people who have gender identity issues and learned what they thought of that.

But yes, it brings many contradictory feelings. It is largely sexist and annoying, but it does involve my ultimate dream of just magically waking up in a woman's body.

• Forum Moderator

Yeah, I watched it as it first aired, and just about all them first run on Friday nights back then, except this episode first aired on a Tuesday. I was and always will be a "treky".

That episode hit my physci as a young person I was only 10 or 11, do I ever remember the fantasy of the body swap. As grew older and watched it later in life I realized how superficial the program really was, but wow just the fantasy of being somehow being changed into a woman, was extremely powerful for me. And now some 44 years later it's becoming reality. For me this was to be the future.....

Cyndi -

Guest frida314

In the same era, I reread "I Will Fear No Evil" by Robert A. Heinlein many times.

(Cut & pasted from Goodreads):

Johann Sebastian Bach Smith is immensely rich; and very old. His mind is still keen, so he has surgeons transplant his brain into a new body; the body of his gorgeous, recently deceased secretary, Eunice.

But Eunice hasn't completely vacated her body...

With what you've said about the Star Trek episode, I so much daydreamed living as Smith. At that time, I had not associated what was in my mind with what I could be in daily life. As I remember, the conversations Johann and Eunice, existing in one mind were deliciously witty. Thank you Carolyn, there was so much good sci fi then.

Guest April Kristie

I too grew up ensconced in the fantasy world of Star Trek. Gene Roddenberry was way ahead of his time and this perhaps well meaning but the very poorly acted episode did stick with me for a long time as well (Shatner you always were a major ham). Thank you Carolyn Marie for the reprise of the engram! I too felt that fantasy of the easy changeover to female, but did not like the woman they chose as the subject. I lived in an abusive household and her anger resonated differently for me. Male anger is a bugaboo I have tried to stay away from, hence the term so many placed on me of gentle giant, most never knew how really gentle! Finally, could we ever really think that this fantasy of changing over would be so easy? We all know how hard we have to work it to make it real!

• Admin

In the same era, I reread "I Will Fear No Evil" by Robert A. Heinlein many times.

(Cut & pasted from Goodreads):.

I love that novel. It's one of my favorites of Heinlein, probably for much the same reasons you gave, Frida. When you think about it (and there have been many threads here about this subject), fiction in books and film are filled with gender switching characters and situations. One has to wonder whether some of the authors were themselves trans. I'd bet on it.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

This is the one episode of Star Trek I have only seen through a couple of times because I loathe it. I had not sat down and thought about it in a long time -nor did I analyze it at the time beyond feeling deeply insulted and offended by the portrayal of the woman. The unmistakable implication that wanting to be a man drove her mad and made her so unstable. Hysterical. I in no sense identified with her-it was Kirk I identified with -and felt there was nothing masculine about her at all. After the switch she was portrayed in the most sexist way any character in Star Trek ever was to me. Hysterical and both mentally and emotionally unable to handle command. Because she was a woman it was clear.

One thing I did wish was that such a machine existed because i was sure there were those who wanted a female body as I wanted a male ine. And I was sure I would not be a caricature of a man with a woman's brain either. She was no FTM. Not the way she was portrayed.

I wonder how other FTMs feel about the episode? I can see where there would be mixed feelings for many trans whether FTM or MTF seeing someone able to do what we longed to do but delivered with such a negative message about the female gender and the impact of the gender dysphoria we feel

Johnny

One of the premises of that last episode of TOS was that in Star Fleet, only males could ascend to the rank of Captain. :banghead: This was even after the Russians had flown a woman into space. A 'transparent aluminum' ceiling, so to speak and to mix eras. It is not an episode that is shown regularly. I do not believe that the alien device used was ever brought up again in later Star Trek series, although TNG did have an episode about a planet that forced its people to live celibate lives and deny themselves any feelings of gender nor sexual attraction.

I, too, was quite fascinated with such a mind-switching device.

Guest ValerieD

One of the premises of that last episode of TOS was that in Star Fleet, only males could ascend to the rank of Captain. :banghead:

That was never actually stated - the exact line is "your world of starship captains doesn't allow women", which could also be interpreted as frustration that captains are married to their ships and that any romance is secondary to command. Given that Lester was clearly mentally unstable, I don't think we can rely on her actions for any indication of Starfleet policy.

I have a feeling that Roddenberry had given up on doing any form of quality control by the point this episode was made. The sexism in this episode is very uncharacteristic of a series that was otherwise very progressive for its time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 236 Guests (See full list)

• Mirrabooka
    • Stefi
    • April Marie
    • Vidanjali
    • Karen Carey
    • Lillie B
    • Birdie
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

MossycupMolly
    Newest Member
    MossycupMolly

1. Angelo christoper
      Angelo christoper
      (38 years old)
    2. Joslynn
      Joslynn
      (61 years old)
    3. Kaltia_Atlas
      Kaltia_Atlas
    4. Rika_Lil
      Rika_Lil
      (40 years old)
    5. Summerluv
      Summerluv
      (19 years old)
    • Mirrabooka
      Friday May 17th is IDAHOBIT (International Day Against HOmophobia, BIphobia and Transphobia).   Do you acknowledge or celebrate it? Do you do anything special for it, like taking part in any organized events or activities?   I'm not an activist and I prefer to fly under the radar, but I am slowly becoming aware of important dates. I have been aware of the date of IDAHOBIT for a few weeks now, but other important 'rainbow' dates have not been etched into my brain yet.    I will wear my favorite pride t-shirt as a token acknowledgement of the day, but it probably won't be seen; cool weather here will mean that it will be hidden under a sweater.    
    • Mirrabooka
    • Mirrabooka
      Happiness for me comes from being cognizant of the things that make me feel good.   Sunshine.   Pandering to my inner woman.   Knowing that some people in my life really 'know' me.   Vacations, and Eggs Benedict at an alfresco cafe.   My wife and I being telepathic.   Grandchildren.   Music.   Wine!    
    • Ivy
      True.  Every trans death is not a hate crime. There is so much hate expressed by some people, that we kinda get to expect it.
    • KymmieL
      happiness to me is being ME. At all times, and it has yet to happen.
    • Vidanjali
      Hello & welcome, giz! Your post makes me remember how excited I was to join here too. I also had queer friends at the time I joined, but any of my trans friends lived a long distance away. So most local queer friends are gay & I felt uncomfortable coming out to them bc I couldn't assume they'd understand genderqueerness. So it was a thrill to join here and immediately have access to do many wonderful, genuine, kind & thoughtful friends-to-be.   Are you saying you're concerned that if you come out to your queer friends that somehow your parents will find out?     My love, I just want to affirm that that's not a weird dysphoria. It's just dysphoria. And we definitely get it. You're in good company here!     Look forward to seeing you around here & getting to know you. I shoot for androgynous appearance as well, leaning towards masculine.   Hope you're having a splendid day!
    • Heather Shay
      Listening to a YouTube mix for me and this song came up and I immediately fell in love again and just want to play music with like minded musicians playing OUR music and feel the joy and fulfillment even if no one else gets it. I love to fall into the music....  
    • April Marie
      Welcome to the forums, giz! We’re so happy you found us. You’ll find lots of information and many wonderful people here. Each of us is unique but we all share similarities as well. Look around, ask questions and join in where you feel comfortable!
    • Heather Shay
      NPR tiny desk winner 2024 - REALLY ENJOYED - simple song with wonderful melody, retro sound, reminds me of Billy Preston....  
    • Heather Shay
      What is happiness for you?
    • Birdie
      Funny.....   The day-centre transportation director told me yesterday morning that I was to receive an award, my picture on the website, etc... for having won the billiards tournament (I knew better).   Later that afternoon he returns to "shake my hand" and tell me, "thanks for participating."   I could have told him that was all I would receive earlier. I'm not well liked by management. 
    • Heather Shay
      Feelings are joyful as happiness spreads.
    • Heather Shay
      The Power of Feeling our Feelings: a story of joy and pain https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1683051267452-AAZVC5ZJZ5E2XRBOOPRE/unsplash-image-rOKbmUbcOVg.jpg Does “joy” feel like a distant memory or an intangible experience for you?  Are you on the journey of seeking more joy in your life? Maybe you’ve found this blog, as in your healing journey, “more joy” is the beacon that gets you through the tough times, and you are fearlessly on the quest to learn more about trauma, anxiety and depression and how to support a more joyous life. If that sounds like you, then welcome, this post is for you, and if that doesn’t feel like you that’s okay too, I invite you to stay for a story. Let me tell you a story about a woman named Ellie who came to therapy with the goal of “wanting to feel more joy + lightness in her life”. She sat on the couch across from me…she was so eternally wise, and self-aware. She had worked so hard to get to this place of understanding herself, but she still felt stuck and nowhere closer to her joyful, fulfilled life. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684948947151-PH97YWGUXYF7JJT25K1I/image-asset.jpeg She came back session after session, explaining her struggles and breaking down the gritty details of who she was, until one day I said, I paused her again in attempts to help her connect more with her emotional experience, For the first time in her therapy experience, Ellie was still, she took a moment to check inside and find her sadness…she was really being with her emotional experience. Sometimes as humans we can be aware of feelings, but struggle to FEEL the feelings, tuning in to our emotions and letting them take up space. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684949533886-EOI9VPKBEQ2EZHERTYT1/image-asset.jpeg All of a sudden she felt her throat getting tighter, her heart sinking, and tears welling up in her eyes. She said, as she began to cry, “ yeah I feel so sad because…” I so ever gently interrupted her again “hey Ellie it’s okay, can we just let the sadness be there, it's SO important why, and also its SO important to just feel, so just feel sad my dear”. Ellie, hearing this, felt her shoulders drop and soften in surrender, and spent the next minute or so letting her tears flow, crying, and being guided by me, to find support in her own breath and the pillows and blankets on the couch. This somatic release, was exactly what she needed. She cried, while I held space, providing compassionate support and company, until Ellie felt a huge sense of relief wash over her body and exclaimed “woah that felt so cathartic, I feel lighter”.  I cracked a very stereotypical nerdy therapist joke and Ellie let out a HUGE chuckle, beginning  to laugh deep into her belly, and that feeling of lightness transformed into a moment of JOY! Could it be? Ellie settled into a feeling of calm after her chuckle with me and asked, “What just happened? For a moment there I felt so light and wow, I really laughed. Is that joy? How is that possible?” I then began to share a bit of on emotions…."Let me explain the connection between our pain and joy. They might be more connected than you think!” Emotions are an integral part of the human experience. They provide us with valuable information about ourselves and our environment, and they can motivate us to take action or change our behavior. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684950220510-2BYGYE4A5XKZODNS2I0Y/image-asset.jpeg However, it is common for people to try to avoid or suppress emotions such as sadness, anger, and fear.  They may try to explain it away, finding logical and “cognitive” ways to cope with the pain…. While this may seem like a reasonable strategy to avoid discomfort, it can actually have negative consequences, including a reduced ability to feel positive emotions. Our emotions are interconnected and interdependent, they are all processed in the same areas of the brain. The neural pathways that process pain are called the nociceptive pathways. The nociceptive pathways send signals to the brain's pain center, the somatosensory cortex, which processes the sensory information and generates the experience of pain.   However, the same neural pathways that process pain can also process pleasure and joy.  This is because the somatosensory cortex does not just process sensory information related to pain; it also processes sensory information related to other physical sensations, such as touch, temperature, and pressure. When we experience pleasure and joy, these sensory signals are processed in the same way as pain signals. However, instead of activating the pain center, they activate the brain's pleasure center. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684950865903-TQRJXIIXD3SHELV065QA/image-asset.jpeg This means that the same sensory channels in the brain can be activated by both pain and pleasure, but the experience we have depends on which part of the brain is activated. When the pain center is activated, we experience pain, and when the pleasure center is activated, we experience pleasure and joy. Pain and joy are actually closely related to each other, cousins if you will! In other words, our emotional experiences are not isolated events, but rather a complex and dynamic system of interrelated experiences. When we try to avoid or suppress our perceived negative emotions, we are essentially shutting down a part of our emotional experience. This can create a "numbing" effect, where we feel less overall emotion, both positive and negative.  This is because the brain processes emotions as a whole, so if we try to suppress painful or uncomfortable emotions, it can also reduce the intensity and richness of positive emotions. Research has shown that people who struggle to identify or express their emotions, particularly painful ones, often experience lower levels of overall emotional experience, including positive emotions. This is because our ability to experience positive emotions is dependent on our ability to process and regulate negative emotions. By suppressing negative emotions, we may be hindering our ability to fully experience positive emotions. _____________________________ So, to wrap up this short story with a nice bow… Ellie was able to FEEL into her sadness, thus allowing her to FEEL into the depths of her own experience of joy. She was activating “stuck” pain and moving through the experience, using those key areas of the brain, so her JOY was fully expressed as well. This is why….I extend an invitation for you to FEEL it all my dear, the heavy and awful, the light, and all the emotions in between. These different parts of us, make up who we are. If it feels too scary at first that's okay, maybe find a trusted friend or a therapist that can help support you in feeling safe  to express your emotions slowly, bit by bit, over time.  And If you are ready to lean into those heavier feelings, let them out, because the pain that you may be avoiding feeling, just might be the very thing you need to feel, to then welcome and unlock the feeling of JOY. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684950934538-PW47TOU8LXR9AINGG53F/unsplash-image-ktPKyUs3Qjs.jpg At Integrative Psychotherapy we help clients engage in therapy so they can feel more comfortable in their skin and befriend alllll their emotions.
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.