• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A possibility that hormones would be ineffective or unusable?

Guest Daphne21

Guest Daphne21

To be honest I don't even feel that this is really worth posting but here goes.

I'm finally seeing a gt, (I've had two appointments now) and if everything goes as well as I'm hoping, I may very well have a letter recommending me for hormones by my third appointment in January. One of my friends asked a question that I honestly can't say for sure that I know the answer to. What if the estrogen doesn't... work?

To be honest I don't believe I've heard of such a thing before but I could be wrong in assuming as much. So really I'd just like to know, is there a chance that a person would not be able to take hormones for some reason? Is there a chance that they wouldn't affect someone?

I personally feel that the answer should be obvious but I could be wrong. I'm always willing to learn so if you've heard of something like this then perhaps you could pass on that knowledge.

Guest Daphne21

There are many reasons why it's unhealthy to take hormones. For everyone taking them, there are associated risks - liver and kidney disease, blood clots, etc. But, some of us have other diseases that may make these risks much higher, and therefore unsafe to take. So, yes, it's a possibility, but relatively small possibility.

Just for information's sake... Would a person have any way of knowing if they were affected by any of these problems beforehand or would it be something that would be found on the spot? And if a person isn't able to take hormones... then what? I myself dread the thought but I want to be prepared and know my options so to speak if it happens.

Anyway, thank you for the help and for replying so quickly! :)

Guest LizMarie

To the best of my knowledge, all the reasons for denying hormones are other issues such as blood pressure, weight, cholesterol levels, kidney and/or liver function, etc.

Normally an endocrinologist does a full blood panel before beginning HRT to establish baselines for everything. That blood panel will also identify abnormalities that might stop administration of HRT. But usually such abnormalities can be fixed by other medications.

For example, 3 months after I began HRT I began to have blood pressure issues. My endo did not stop HRT but did not advance the dosage while my GP and I worked on the blood pressure issue. Once that was back under control, my endo has made two subsequent revisions to my HRT regiment and may make more.

• Admin

Daphne, the advice you've received is spot on. At your age, if you aren't already aware of serious medical problems, it is very unlikely that there would be any medical reasons to prohibit taking estrogen. You will also need a testosterone blocker, and there are different ones available. Without that, it is unlikely the estrogen would have much effect. In the right combination, HRT drugs will almost certainly have some physical effects. What those are and to what degree you will experience them can't be predicted. There are many, many threads in the "HRT Therapy and Effects" Forum that detail what those effects should be.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Sometimes I wonder worry if there is an estrogen equivalent to Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome. (a quick search shows there has been only one such documented case).

I am pretty sure the estrogen will work, but it depends on what you mean by "working." How effective it will be in feminizing ones body will vary from person to person.

Personally I have only met one example ever of am older male that claimed he was on hormones for three years. I am not exactly sure of the context of the question you are asking, so I make assumptions. In my example this person did not externally feminize well, appearance, mannerisms, appropriate female grooming or attire. There were virtually no cues to clue in that he was female. It appeared that he was the opposite of a trans chaser with the primary motive appearance of being the trans chased.

For me the total downfall was the complete lack of female thinking, temperament and socialization. That was the very thing that made me steer clear of him. If you look at genetic females in a whole group there are very many that have masculine features, yet there are no cues to a gender variation of any sort. His alpha male conversations and skills, outed him hands down above all else.

All those cues would make most genetic women run in another direction. Not that he seemed to care. That is why I sing my song so long about studying genetic females of all ages, get into your female head, make friends with cis women and get into their female head. They will probably love you and fully accept you as a sister. I don't recommend that as an angle to get women into bed. They have an even better creep meter than I have. Giggle. Some MtF females pass without ever taking hormones. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Hug. Jody

Hi Daphne,

I started taking hormones at age 51 and three years later I'm wearing C cups. At your age estrogen will most likely act very quickly. Your puberty isn't quite finished so some male physical aspects haven't finished changing yet. For example, facial hair hasn't completely set in, and hair removal shouldn't be as expensive as what I have to pay. I bet you will be amazed at the changes with the right estrogen/anti-androgen mix.

{{{Hugs}}}

Jenny

• Forum Moderator

Health is important and any good MD will make sure that you do not have any counter interactions. I had trouble for a bit with my heart and my cardiologist that made me quit for bit. A change in how the E was administered and i was back into business. HRT has been good for me. I didn't wake up instantly in the correct body but it is slowly changing the body i'm in and i am finding peace in that alone.

Hugs,

Charlie

Daphne, I changed my avatar tonight to my current picture. Hormones won't change bone structure. Look in my gallery to see just how much my face has changed in two years. That's with NO facial surgeries, electro or laser of any kind. I'm satisfied with my mug, thanks to God, hormones and the Boob Fairy. Giggle.

Get the rest of your act together girl friend, because your feminism is well on the way! Hug. JodyAnn