• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Endocrinologist Timeline question

Guest Jamie23

Guest Jamie23

Hey everyone,

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!! I have great news, I have an endocrinologist appointment the 23rd!! I have a question regarding how long it takes to starts HRTs. What exactly happens when you go to your first appointment with an endocrinologist? Are they going to just order a blood test and then will I have to reschedule another appointment to start HRTs or should I expect taking HRTs after the first appointment??

Thank you

Congratulations on your initial Endo. consult, Jamie. :friends::thumbsup:

I received a letter of confirmation of my appointment with my Endo. At the same time I received a bloodwork order which needed to be done 1 month before the consult. Keep in mind that I'm in the Great White North aka. Canada.

My Endo. did a question and answer interview and a physical examination.

At the end of my initial 1 hour Endo. consult I had a Script in my hand for Estrogen and T-blockers.

Hope some of the above info. is useful.

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

• Forum Moderator

Hi Jamie, I would contact the end's office and ask what blood test they might require. I did that and it did help move me along the path a bit quicker. At the same time there is no rush even though i know it's hard to believe. Many of the things we do make an instant change so try to breath deep and enjoy the journey. It is a sweet if sometimes slow ride. It is even sweeter if we can accept that pace.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Jamie23

Hi Jamie, I would contact the end's office and ask what blood test they might require. I did that and it did help move me along the path a bit quicker. At the same time there is no rush even though i know it's hard to believe. Many of the things we do make an instant change so try to breath deep and enjoy the journey. It is a sweet if sometimes slow ride. It is even sweeter if we can accept that pace.

Hugs,

Charlie

Thank you for responding!

I def have to learn how to be more patient and enjoy the transition even though it can be quite scary and exciting.

Guest Jamie23

Congratulations on your initial Endo. consult, Jamie. :friends::thumbsup:

I received a letter of confirmation of my appointment with my Endo. At the same time I received a bloodwork order which needed to be done 1 month before the consult. Keep in mind that I'm in the Great White North aka. Canada.

My Endo. did a question and answer interview and a physical examination.

At the end of my initial 1 hour Endo. consult I had a Script in my hand for Estrogen and T-blockers.

Hope some of the above info. is useful.

Joann

Thank you Joann!

This is a huge step for me and I am so excited! That is awesome that they gave you a script after the first visit. Do you know if most endocrinologist require a blood test to determine your HRT dosage or usually is there a standard dosage for everyone in the beginning?

This is a huge step for all of us.

The calm and the peace I'm experiencing is truly priceless. :D

However HT/HRT is not for all of us and should not be entered into lightly.

My understanding is that the bloodwork is to determine some of your internal organ functions.

Cholesterol, Liver function, Hormone levels, Testosterone levels etc..

I don't think it is used to determine you HRT dosage. I'm sure some one will correct me if I'm wrong.

I wish you peace, success and prosperity on your Journey, Jamie.

Joann

• Admin

Congrats on your endo appointment, Jamie. Like some of the others have said, what the sequence of events will be varies from one doctor to another. Mine would not write an Rx until after she saw the test results. The baseline testosterone and estrogen levels are very important, as are liver and kidney function, and your history of other illnesses, such as heart disease. A good endo will take all of that into consideration in determining the proper mix of drugs and dosages. Good luck!

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest April Kristie

Jamie, congrats on your first visit! I just had mine last Monday, as I WAS a DIY'er it was imperative that I get there and my GT got me In pronto. I had to stop estrogen for two days to establish that all important baseline. The endo gave me the questions about my life and where these feelings came from, what I am taking now of any type, and family history. I have another appt. next Wed and hope to get a patch of estrogen as he alluded to that. The estradiol pills I was taking are metabolized in the liver and the patch as I understand it is not. I also have gynamastia and had my first breast exam by a strange man! It was mortifying LOL!