• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

An Orchi Story

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I didn't have to wait too long to achieve my New Years Resolution for 2014. Yesterday I had an orchiectomy. :thumbsup: For those who don't like reading TMI, you are welcome to stop here and go read a nice thread in the Fashion Forum. For those otherwise inclined, please slog on. ;)

It took about three months from the time I submitted my paperwork to my GP proving my request for an orchi was "medically necessary," to having the surgery. Mostly it was waiting for referrals to be processed, waiting for appointments, getting lab work and an ultrasound done, and getting a spot on my surgeon's schedule. Everyone along the way was supportive, kind and respectful. My surgeon, a urologist, was especially nice, and told me she had done many orchi's, but never one for my purpose, and had read up on it before our first appointment.

The hospital's Outpatient Surgery Center staff were great, and no one batted an eye when they found what I was there for. No one mis-gendered me. To my surprise and great relief, I was even allowed to keep my wig on during the procedure.

I'm not going to get into the surgical details, because I think you can guess what's involved. I will say that my surgeon's research had found that by removing some of the scrotal tissue, she could cause things to lay flatter than they otherwise would, giving me a more natural appearance down below. Heck, I might even feel comfortable wearing a bathing suit. :)

The surgery took about an hour, and recovery another hour. The pain was no more than a 5 on a scale of 1-10, and I have a good tolerance for pain. They gave me a scipt for narcotics, but I only took one last night as a precaution, and didn't really need it. This morning things are a bit swollen, so I won't know for a day or two how it all will look, but I'm hopeful and excited.

If you're wondering why I chose this route rather than GRS, its because 1) I'm nearly 60, diabetic, and not keen on major surgery with who-knows-what side effects; 2) I'm happily married and have no practical use for a vagina; and 3) I've never had significant dysphoria regarding my body parts.

What drew me towards getting an orchi was not having to take a T-blocker for the rest of my life, which was having some minor side effects (Spiro is a diuretic, after all), and feeling more comfortable and confident about my appearance. Sure, its a half-way measure, but its a half I'll gladly take.

I haven't had any insurance issues so far, and don't think I will. But I'll let you know if I get a bill for $5,000 in the near future. <_<

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Congratz Carolyn!

Very happy to hear all went so well and that you were treated so well too.

hugs

Johnny

• Forum Moderator

Carolyn that was a very helpful post for a girl wanting for the date to be set. I'm required to get a chest x-ray and an keg but will get the script for those soon i hope. Yours reasons for the procedure are virtually identical to mine except that i'm a bit older; otherwise Bingo! Your post helps to alleviate some of the fear. I've had survey before that was extremely rough so it is nice to hear someone confirm that it isn't so bad. Again thanks for posting.

Hugs but gentle ones,

Charlie

• Admin

Congrats -- Over the past year I have gained a ton more of respect for what other people choose to do and where they put their (dis) comfort level with surgical changes in their body. The physical discomfort from any of it is an affirmation of our understanding and acceptance of who and what we are. Fast healing and good health to you. (I have over half the bottle of pain pills from my adventure left over, and I have a LOW LOW pain threshold. :o )

Guest LizMarie

Congratulations, Carolyn!

Everyone's needs are different and you addressed yours, which is what is important! Good for you!

I hope your recovery is swift and without interruption! Quite a way to ring in the new year, hmm? :)

Guest DianeATL

Congratulations and I fully understand your reasoning. I hope your recovery is fast and uneventful, please keep us posted on your progress and post surgical results.

Hugs,

Diane

• Forum Moderator

Congrats Carolyn and all the best to you in the recovery.

Hugs

Cyndi -

Thank you for the information. Any solution seems completely out of reach for me. I just have to accept that. I cry most nights and it never gets any better. I hope that is your rainbow, that does make me really happy for you. Way hug. JodyAnn

Guest Brenda Hailey

Heck, I might even feel comfortable wearing a bathing suit. :)

If you're wondering why I chose this route rather than GRS, its because 1) I'm nearly 60, diabetic, and not keen on major surgery with who-knows-what side effects; 2) I'm happily married and have no practical use for a vagina; and 3) I've never had significant dysphoria regarding my body parts.

What drew me towards getting an orchi was not having to take a T-blocker for the rest of my life, which was having some minor side effects (Spiro is a diuretic, after all), and feeling more comfortable and confident about my appearance. Sure, its a half-way measure, but its a half I'll gladly take.

Congratulations, I am happy for anyone who feels happiness as a result of going forward with their lives.

Your reasons quoted here also give me more food for thought as I try to figure out my own needs, not to mention my admiration for your bravery.

Brenda Hailey.

• Admin

Just an update here; its been six days, and all is well. The swelling has almost completely disappeared, and things look like...well, as I had hoped they would look like. :) The sutures were the self-absorbing variety, so no need for a follow up visit to the doctor right away. I'll wait a few more days before trying on my jeggings, but I think I'll be pleased when I do.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Hmmmm interesting comparison ratio --- Orchi @ 6 days is equivalent to 6 weeks for something else!! :D:lol::o:thumbsup:

• Admin

Last, final comment on this subject;

I tried crossing my legs for the first time since the surgery, and guess what?

I can, and just like a natal woman!! :score::thumbsup::groupwavereversed:

If my surgeon was here, I would plant a big wet one on her cheek.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

I looked over my Anthem Blue Cross account info, and saw that they had posted the cost of the orchiectomy. I was shocked to see the price tag: $18,270!! :blink::o That's close to what I thought GRS surgery would cost. I am certainly glad insurance covered it. I don't think I would have had it done if I had to pay it out of pocket. Talk about sticker shock.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

OUCH!! My bill was $23,500!! $5230 difference!! And I stayed in the hospital 4 days as well!!

• Forum Moderator

That is really high dear. Dr McGinn's cost is less than a third of that. I'm glad to hear about your quick recovery. I will hopefully be able to post the same. i'm due March 15th. They moved me ahead from March 25th. It was a great move as the 25th is my wife's birthday. It wouldn't be the best present for her. For me, with my heart condition, i feel this is my best path.

I am so looking forward to stopping spiro. My blood pressure is simply too low and i even fell the other day when i stood up. Between that and the dietary problems of dealing with potassium levels as a vegetatian i'm looking forward to the results if not the process.

Hugs,

Charlie

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

I finally found the answer to the high cost of my surgery. I mentioned it to my GP, and she looked up the surgeon's letter detailing what was done. The surgeon listed not only the orchiectomy, but also a scrotoplasty.

The surgeon had discussed with me doing "a little extra" to make things look more natural. It sounded like a beneficial idea. What my GP told me was that any time a doctor adds any kind of "plasty," to a procedure they are free to charge pretty much whatever they can get away with. If you have a mole removed, calling it a moleplasty will jack up the cost considerably.

If I had been paying out of pocket, the surgeon would have been obligated to tell me the cost so I could make an informed decision. As with most medical issues, once its covered by insurance, we don't usually ask, and the docs don't usually tell. I learned a valuable lesson. I'm not sure I would have declined the extra procedure anyway, but at least I would have been forewarned.

Live and learn. ;)

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest KimberlyF

The evil insurance companies many times pay more for things like this than what someone off the street would pay out of pocket.

OUCH!! My bill was $23,500!! $5230 difference!! And I stayed in the hospital 4 days as well!!

So far BCBS has paid $62,000 to just the hospital for me. That has already been finalize. That doesn't include the surgeon's fee or the anestheologist's fee. And if I paid cash it would have included 3 nights in a recovery suite that I had to pay out of pocket as someone with insurance.
Guest Jenni_S

To echo Kim, my visit to Trinidad cost my insurance company $42,817, after I add up all the "Amount Paid by Plan" lines on the EOB's. The cash price quote, at the time, was $18,000. So, the insurance paid, oh, about 2 and a third more than I would have paid had I plunked down the cash on the counter.

Guest LizMarie

Health insurance in the US is a widespread scam, Carolyn. Both doctors and the insurers use it to milk as much money as they can from the system. As noted, the cash prices for these surgeries are often far less. This is true generally too. There is one rather well-known surgical center in Oklahoma that does various surgeries (not trans related surgeries) that charges strictly cash prices. They are endlessly booked forward and their cash prices are 20%-25% of what hospital bills often are.

I my experience most hospitals and docs bill people who don't have insurance 5 times as much as what they will accept under a contract price with insurance company. Happened to me a few times, recently my dad got a bill for close to $170K for emergency surgery and hospital stay and then accepted $33K as full payment.

A 25% discount below what hospital bills often are is a pittance when compared to the 75% to 80% below the billing price hospitals accept on contract price.

Now if that is 25% less than the contract price insurance companies pay that be great...heck if it was 25% above what the insurance company contract price is that would be a bargain compared to the billing price.

I don't think anything in this healthcare is doing anything about the costs. The focus is entirely on insuring young, healthy folks pay their fair share so there is enough to support the older and sicker people. And along the ways the insurance companies get to benefit for all the subsidies paid by the government cause the unsubsidized rates are more than what many could afford. Or for people like one of my sisters, can't afford even with the subsidy.

I suppose in the next election cycle we can put in Clinton if she runs and she can continue with the intent to make it illegal to pay a provider directly or have healthcare on your own outside the government prescribed plan.

Ah I misread that 25% as a discount when it was meant to say bill is 25% of the total. Yep that sounds about right. Puts it a bit over what the insurance companies contract price is. Sounds like a good deal.