• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is it odd to be a guy who likes make up?

Guest Anewbeginning14

Guest Anewbeginning14

I like have been wearing black make up since I was 12. I'm actually really good with make up in general of all sorts of styles. I also have long thick shiny black hair. I like that too. At the same time the way I dress isn't much different from my friends who are all guys. My mom says I'm too feminine to be a guy because of this and other reasons but honestly I don't feel like make up changes anything for me I still see myself. Idk does she have a point?

Well the goth look can be really cool, but not for all occasions. Giggle. Let's look at that from another angle. Men that wear make-up? Actors in movies, television, stage plays all wear heavy amounts of make-up. Not to mention news castors, TV commercials and public speakers. I'm sure some are not fond of it, for most it is tool of the trade. If you like it and it causes no harm then I think it may be acceptable. Other people's perceptions may make for difficulties, so you have to evaluate your own situation and act on it accordingly.

No I don't think you are weird, but you may need to think it through and stay very adaptable. Hug. JodyAnn

• Forum Moderator

Odd perhaps. I don't see a lot of men in makeup. I can also see how wearing makeup might bother your mom. I do not think it means they you have gender problems however. We all express ourselves differently. Try to understand how she and others might see it. If it is what you want then perhaps if she doesn't object too strongly, why not. Just remember we do things to our looks for more than how it looks in the mirror. Perhaps asking why might help.

Hugs,

Charlie

• Forum Moderator

If that's what you like to do, do it. Don't worry about others, be yourself....

Hugs

Cynthia -

Guest Motormouth18

I'd say that it's not very common, but not too abnormal. The Native American men used to wear war paint on their faces to scare their enemies when going into battle and as part of cultural ceremonies.War paint could be considered a form of make up. Just a little something to show that some "manly" men wear make up. If it's something you love, do it. :)

• Admin

Lots of good advice here, hon. Like everyone said, if you like it, do it, as long as it doesn't interfere with something, like trying to get a job. Wearing makeup doesn't make you anything except a guy who likes makeup. Period.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Anewbeginning14

Odd perhaps. I don't see a lot of men in makeup. I can also see how wearing makeup might bother your mom. I do not think it means they you have gender problems however. We all express ourselves differently. Try to understand how she and others might see it. If it is what you want then perhaps if she doesn't object too strongly, why not. Just remember we do things to our looks for more than how it looks in the mirror. Perhaps asking why might help.

Hugs,

Charlie

I wanted to just clear up. I actually was raised female... And my mom thinks I'm too feminine to move into living as a guy.

On a normal day I wear black eyeliner black lipstick foundation for a paler look and shape my eyebrows. I have long hair that looks like it would be better on a girl. I wear dr. Marten boots black skinny jeans a simple t-shirt and leather jacket etc...

On a nice occasion, I'll dress like any other girl because that's what's expected of and is why I wear more feminine clothing and more mascara and fake eyelashes blusher and sometimes eyeshadow. I like make up so it's no big deal. I don't wear dresses ever though.

People usually think I'm a guy anyhow when I'm encountering strangers because I'm tall and built like a male more than a girl. I don't have hips or anything. Only things I have feminine are my voice and chest. And my breasts are very small you can't see it unless I'm shirtless and my voice hasn't come in all that much yet. Kids actually will say stuff like is that a boy or a girl when I am dressed up completely feminine because I don't really look like a girl. I have a condition called 5-ard so therefore my body is going to mature into basically phenotypically male if left untreated.

My mom thinks I'm too feminine that I'll regret transitioning to live as a guy. I don't identify as female I never have so I know I won't regret it. But I guess from what I've shown her she's convinced because of this that its not plausible to her.

Guest April63

I think it's okay. I know some guys that dress like you as well. I don't think that makeup and long hair are necessarily feminine, but rather they are stereotypically feminine. There are ways to wear makeup and long hair that still have a masculine ring to them. I think there are fewer guys that choose to do so, but I don't think that means you can't or shouldn't transition.

April

• Admin

The purpose of makeup can be to create visual cues as to who and what you are. I have a male friend with a "port wine stain" skin discoloration who could just wear a beard and cover it, but does wear tattoo cover foundation, and likes using "guy liner" mascara and eye shadow. I wish I had his $$$$, so he is by no means a social outcast. (He is nowhere in the Trans* territory either.)

Just take stroll through the Castro (for non SF folks, look it up) and you will see plenty of men wearing makeup ;) There's nothing weird about it, heck just a few hundred years ago most men of affluence in europe wore some sort of makeup (not to mention extremely feminine clothing).

• Forum Moderator

Although things may be somewhat different in the area where you live I'll add my experience.

I use makeup (includes foundation, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, blush and lipstick but in moderate amounts - no extreme colours) everyday including at work. For work I dress totally male in shirt, tie and trousers etc. My job includes travelling over a fairly large part of eastern England visiting people from all classes and races in their homes.

With all of that it is seldom my makeup is commented on and when so it is usually favorably (some of my best discussions on makeup is with women on these visits).

It surprised me a little but even when noticed in the street it is seldom commented on (just a few wierd looks).

I am somewhat older so am a little out of touch with the local teenage / student population but I do not see many males wearing makeup locally (I live in a somewhat conservative area - not a large city with its greater extremes). Even so I am confident wearing it - my experience has been good.

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

I'm sorry i didn't understand or know your situation. Sounds to me that it totally depends on how you want to be seen. It sounds like you have a cool look. As a guy or when i was passing as a guy i never wore makeup but that was different generation. I remember when guys didn't have long hair. I cried when i had to get a crewcut and was so glad when styles changed in the 60's. It sounds like you enjoy yourself with friends and that alone should help to make a decision.

Hugs,

Charlie

If you're happy and comfortable with your look then who gives a **** it is 2014 and I see plenty of guys in makeup. Back when I was a guy...all of like six months ago :) I always had nails and a bit of "guyliner" also like bright red and black hair. I like it who cares who doesnt. As long as it doesn't put you in a dangerous position then go for it. Your look sounds really cool :)

Guest Alternative Emo

Alright I thought I would clear this up. I too wear make up. I have foundation that makes my skin look.. flawless and I wear (GUY)liner and eye shadow. Back in the day guys did not normally wear make up but today has changed. Make up is not just for girls. the whole idea of gender assigned roles is crap. If you are emo, scene, alternative, goth, etc.. that that's what you are. as far as a phase.. completely different topic. Being a musician I always wear the leather, studs, black nail polish and all that. Nothing wrong with dressing different or pushing the limit. No one is getting hurt and if someone walking down the street has a problem with how you look, that's THEIR problem..

Was at the grocery store and this cowboy (old guy) stalked me around the store and kept verbally harassing me about everything. He would say stuff like "do you like dressing like a freak?!" or "I wouldn't be caught dead dressed like that!".

Ignorant people remain ignorant and harsh unless we stay ourselves and prove, people like us are harmless. Now if the guy would have tried to physically harm me or try to start something with my sister, I would have contacted the proper authorities but bottom line is just be yourself.

if you like wearing make up, wear make up. Every Transguy, Transgirl is different. Some are strict short hair, macho and some dress a little more feminine but that doesn't make them any less a guy. You are who you are.

This is something that is hard for a lot of people but every bio guy is different. Some wear make up some dont. We are guys. always have been so just be yourself.

Hope that helps.