• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

And... I'm here.

Guest FreshStreams

Guest FreshStreams

Hey!

My name is tyler :)

I'm female to male.... That's about it. I don't really know what else to say here.

I'm nineteen years old and I live in new jersey, with my parental units. I go to school full time for communications and I'm out to my peers. I've attempted to come out when I was in the hospital my junior year of high school but once I got back, I found my stuff in a bag, ready for me to leave again for another few weeks. I agreed to comply with my parents after a month of not having a home, because it was winter and I had no other family. Now, they still refuse to acknowledge who I am and I try to find peace on the internet.

Most people tell me to find a place in school where I'll have peace, but In all honesty, people in school are just as ignorant. I've gotten just about every derogatory comet there is to be made. I'm the president (for the 2nd consecutive semester) Of my schools gay-straight alliance and still have to deal with the constant bullying, especially from people in my club.... (I hope someone sees the irony in this... That I'm the trans male president of the schools gay straight alliance, which is supposed to be a safe zone, and I'm still bullied within the walls of the club on a regular basis. Still. People seem to like me.

Anyway, I've been talking to much.

It's nice to be here!

Welcome Tyler! I am sorry you are having to deal with the bullying, it is not right... no one should have to deal with that. Anyway this is a safe place to discuss what you want (within the rules, please take a look at the terms and conditions section). No one will ever bully you here, and if they do, you let a mod know immediately, we don't stand for that around these parts :)

Guest Plaid Chameleon

Hello Tyler,

You know, some people are just ignorant and especially in highschools it's like a breeding ground for stupidity. I grew up in NY and while I never said a word to anyone about my situation I knew others who'd faced discimination. I find that the LGBT community seems to have it's own inner pecking order. The gay/lesiban community can sometimes be.....unagreeable in regards to the trans community. It's a completely different animal in a sense. I found there are a lot of people on this site who understand and are willing to offer support. The chatrooms are also really fun...and a little bit disturbing at times, but in a good way. There's just a lot of happy people. It's funny, I've never met someone form this community that isn't just a regular guy or girl looking to live their life like everyone else. I'm good at fading into the background but I hope one day things will be different and people will finally come to understand that there is no such thing as normal, there are just people and everyone is different.

• Forum Moderator

Welcome to Laura's dear from another Jersey girl. It sounds like you are having a rough time but are moving forward regardless. The LGB community often does not understand. I've been a member of one for some time. At this point i've managed to find friendship and acceptance there. When i first joined there was a learning curve involved. Fortunately as one gets older bullying becomes less; at least that has been my experience. I was amazed at the support i found at my old school when i returned there for a conference. Things are better than they have ever been. That being said it is far from perfect still as you have noted.

I'm glad you have joined us here. Laura's has been a great help to me and so many others. Enjoy not being alone.

Hugs,

Charlie

• Admin

Welcome to the Playground, Tyler. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles at home and at school. I am a bit shocked by the behavior of some of your fellow students. I understand that there is a lot of misunderstanding among the LG community about us, and some bad blood. But why would someone take the trouble to join a club like that, and yet be unwilling to get along with all the other members? But as president, you should have some ability to change the atmosphere for the better. Have you thought about putting together a "Gender 101 Training" course, to fully explain the issues involved in being TG, and to explain how to be an ally to a transgendered person? I have found that such training is usually welcomed, and really helps.

As for your parents, all I can say is that it won't last forever, and that people do change, albeit slowly. You will get past this, and hopefully they will come around when they realize that they will lose you if they do not.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest LizMarie

Welcome to Laura's, Tyler.

Unfortunately, lots of GLB people don't understand trans folk.

Here's an article from a gay man who finally realized his own misunderstanding about trans people, and in realizing that, was finally able to become a trans ally.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-hunt/dear-trans-persons-everyw_b_4468127.html

Perhaps you can show this to a few of those in the club, as a starting point, and discuss the article to get their impressions? Engaging them in a constructive yet positive manner might bring about the change you seek.

You are safe here at Laura's. We strive to make this place as safe as we can. I hope that we can be a resource to you as you continue on your journey of self-discovery.

Guest miss kindheart

Hi Tyler,
<<< hug >>>
Welcome to Laura's Playground.
Please feel free to come over and chat sometime.
The Chat room does require another registration that is separate from from your forums one.
Please read the chat room rules before coming in, and expect a short interview with one of the chat room moderators.
One of the things that they will ask you is if you read the rules. :)
We all look forward to seeing you.
:wub: vanna