• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Saved By A Hair Clip -- Near Reading By A Small Person

VickySGV

• Admin

This actually happened a few weeks ago, but I have time to tell about now. I like clip in hair bows, flowers, fancy barrettes and the like, and try and choose one that goes with my basic outfit for the day. My hair does NOT style for more than the time it takes to get to the curb after one of my hair appointments. The hair ornaments do make me feel better and as you will see in a minute give crucial cues to people that I am female, and also my choice of hair color is not one that a male would use in day to day life, in plain words, it is a GIRLS COLOR.

I had been shopping in a local mall and was waiting in line to get some foundation in the color I need. I had been generally chatting with the young woman in line ahead of me who had a pre school close aged boy and girl with her. They were fraternal twins which ran in mom's family due to an inherited trait of ovulating from each side simultaneously, something her doctor had confirmed somehow. Mom herself had a twin brother. <Complete girl talk with no hesitation.> The little boy joined the conversation to ask me why I was so much taller than his mom, and actually suggested I might be a boy. This turned mom beet red, but sister saved the day by telling him "no thilly she has a pretty flower in her hair, boys don't wear them"!! That was the end of the gender quiz session. :lol::ThanxSmiley:

Accessories, accessories, accessories!! They can make you for sure.

Guest Motormouth18

That dang height Lol (I'll take a few inches 5 ft 6 in is kinda of short). Accessories do help both MtF and FtM, imo. My watch(men's timex) helps pass a bit. I'm glad that something you like works to your advantage. :)

Kids seem to notice things that adults overlook.

• Admin

Cute story, Vicky. Perceptive young lady, too. Yup, accessories are awesome, and so is costume jewelry. :)

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

A good example of laying out as many clues as you can. Hey look…… earrings, hair color, jewelry, makeup, clothing, breasts……Mmmmm might just be female despite being tall.

Great story.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest April Kristie

Yes indeed, children speak their little minds. Like it was said once: children say the darnedest things! I do my best to avoid them, as there is not enough acroutrememts made to hide my height. However, I did have a nice time today getting a Mani/Pedi amongst a salon filled with nothing but short women! And was not giggled at or made to feel uncomfortable. Yay!

• Forum Moderator

That's a great story Vicky, ahh the things kids say.

Yep hair accessories are way cool, can't have enough of that stuff, enjoy....

Cyndi -

• Forum Moderator

Made me smile. Thank you for a very nice way to start the day

My daughter and granddaughter love those hair accessories too

Johnny

Guest LizMarie

Occasionally trans women get accused of "going overboard" on the femininity side of things. But often this is done for a reason - to help override the remaining cues that say "raised as a male" to anyone observing. It can easily be overdone but it's actually a wise strategy to find and place emphasis on key visual cues that say "female". If you observe women at the shopping mall, you will find all sorts, and many of them have a few male features as well. But the presentation of the entire package, the self-confidence in that package, and the lack of hyper-critical self-sensitivity ensures that they are seen as who they are. There are lessons there for transwomen to consider as well. :)

• Forum Moderator

I just love some of the things small children say! :)
I can picture things as if I were there (as I would loved to have been).

Thank you for sharing

Tracy x

• 4 weeks later...

For a guy, the analogue cue seems to be a tie. even very masculine-dressing women generally don't wear them. Only works if you're a bit dressed up (business casual and up), but still very helpful.

I learned something in the last few years. Accessories are so cool, but they don't seem to last. Hair accessories get broken, necklaces break or wear out, one or more ear rings in a set get lost. I have to keep replacing them as I can afford to. Back in the day, I often wondered why she spent so much money on girl stuff. I could buy a wrench and it lasted forever, or so I thought. Never enough tools, but girl stuff? Well now I get my Karma, I may be cheap, but I'm still high maintenance. Giggle. It inspired my poem:

I Love My Stilettos!

A poem by Jody

Now, with each step of my journey I grow. Click, click, my heals sing as we go.

After many steps I am forced to wear the shoes of others. Some are appealing and others quite painful! As I leave those shoes for my own again and then others once again too, I step along repeating click, click, each time more I grow.

I now realize that each time I have to wear the shoes of others, they were the very ones I had stepped on the toes of past. This knowledge makes my shoes so much better fitting and more comfortable, amending me now more than I know.

I will learn the dance steps before I am gone. I can fly to the heavens on just the weight of my heart! Glorious springs of joy, fountains of warm tears from blue.

What a marvelous miracle, not only am I transforming, I am also transcending too. I could have never have had this before, or without my metamorphosis new!

Copyright 2.6.2014 JodyAnnTaylor

Well shut my boy mouth! Now that I know what girl is all about. Giggle. Hug. JodyAnn

• Forum Moderator

Nice dear. I love the line about being the ones i stepped on. I certainly understand that one. I didn't understand many things about being a woman either. Time and experience gives a new perspective.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Megan_Lynn

Was at eat n park last night for the midnight breakfast buffet seen a woman who had to be at least 6'6' tall . looked at her a few times and could not see one thing that would make me think she was trans at all and i am one who can usually spot a trans person very easily. For some reason in the city of Pittsburgh and surrounding area there are very large number of tall 5'10" to 6'2" woman..To many trans woman worry about their height when they do no need to. So few realize that alot of the top models are very tall 5'10" to 6' .. Even the pop singer Taylor Swift is like 5'11" tall. Think of it this way when one is tall then less people can look down on ya....

Guest LizMarie

When I am downtown in Houston, there are plenty of women nearly my height, at my height, and above my height. I am 5 foot 10.5 inches tall. I originally worried about my height, but once I started looking, especially at professional women downtown, my fears about height vanished.