• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Happiness is possible, even for us addicts

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I wanted to post this quote from the Big Book otherwise known as AA. For those who do not know it is the main text of the AA program. It is from a transgendered Skype AA meeting i attend.

here's a quote from the Big Book:

". . . we aren't a glum lot. If newcomers could see no joy or fun in our existence, they would not want it. We absolutely insist on enjoying life. We try not to indulge in the cynicism over the state of the nations, nor do we carry the world's troubles on our shoulders." AA 132

If you ever join us on a Sunday in the Chatrooms in the substance abuse area you will probably see some pretty silly non serious stuff going on. Often when i enter the rooms of AA i find the same. Laughter, chatting and enjoyment of my fellows. I never thought this possible before i found sobriety.

Hope you can join us at 9:00 EST on Sunday if you are feeling you have had enough of drugs, alcohol and the life they give us.

Hugs,

Charlie

• Forum Moderator

Please don't get the impression that our play doesn't mean we are serious. I crawled into the rooms of AA, shaking and out of control. Alcohol nearly killed me several times which only made me drink more.

It was for me a chance to live and find that i could be of use to others. Laughter grows on us. Life is simply beyond my wildest dreams now.

Hugs,

Charlie

• Admin

Recovery is life or death. What's so dang serious about either of those things? We don't ever get out of life alive anyway? I do notice that only the AA / NA members here get some of my humor.

In AA if we are having fellowship, we base it on some principals of living life honestly and with a shared set of past behavior, but in any meeting I have gone to it takes only moments for every eye and ear to turn to the person who is suffering and laughter to become concern and welcome. Laughter is often at our own absurdities of thought while we were abusing our drug of choice!! We do listen carefully, and while one persons problems may take our focus for a while, another persons triumphs no matter how small will be acknowledged as well.

Guest erinanita

Some of us were dragged into the compulsion to drink and/or use drugs because we were trying to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders. It has become a global community but still we alcoholics need only be concerned about ourselves and our fellow alcoholics and our common problems. I am constantly drawn to my meetings for the love and laughter. I can now feel right at home there.

I would like to attend the chatroom meetings. Is there a special procedure to get into that?

Erin

• Forum Moderator

Erin just sign up for chat. It is a separate sign up and you will be asked a few questions, a procedure meant to remove some possible problems. You will need to install Java which is a free download that you can google to find.

When in just scroll down the rooms to find substance abuse. We usually start at 9 eastern and end around 10 or when we get tired.

Hope to see you there. There are also AA trans Skype meetings which are not part of Laura's but that i enjoy a great deal.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Brenda Hailey

I looked at my one year chip the other day and read it, (I had forgot what what it said it had been so many years that I had not cared to look at it)

After reading the inscriptions on the front they where the same as I vaguely remember them, BUT now I am not.

I realized I had achieved that coin but had not actually done any of those things on the coin to actually deserve having it other than being sober for 1 year.

At the time I got that coin I had quit drinking 2 years prior, but had not even begun to address the real reason why I had been drinking in the first place "Transgenderism" (had I actually known what it was, I feel I might have) but obviously I wasnt ready.

Looking back at my life all the things that went wrong with it ,including alcohol have all been a symptom of the main issue itself, which was NEVER addressed.

I find myself NOW finally living what is on the front of that coin and it all makes so much sense now, the coin was right the whole time, I just couldnt see it.

I just kinda wonder where that leaves me now. I seriously dont struggle with alcohol any longer it has been 15 years and its honestly the least of my worries or desires to ever start again, and I feel in my heart I have finally found in myself what the cause of all the past pain really was. I have found sobriety doesnt necessarily guarantee one will find the answer to their problems right away because it took me another 15 years to find it. Granted I stopped working steps and being with a sponsor and all that goes with AA,but I find myself finally understanding the words stamped on that coin more now than all the time I have been sober.

I made it 15 years still blindly suffering without anyones help but now I finally have the answer and know in my heart I can finally move on with my life because this is IT. My entire lifes struggle is now known and coming out in the open. I still feel I owe that in largest part to being sober,but I am seeing that my sobriety wasnt all it was supposed to be either.

I guess what I am saying is I feel I finally deserve the coin in all it says. I just dont what know what that means for me from here on out. I am not sure going back to AA would actually help me at this point. Revisiting an old foe and reliving that pain would be good for what? I want to move forward that baggage can stay at the station,so to speak.

Just some honest thoughts I have been having.

Brenda Hailey

• Forum Moderator

Brenda, i hear you. I have been lucky in so many ways. I have kept going back to the rooms and that has made me look at the coins and other sayings in such a different light. Sobriety has come so much more for me than not drinking. The program has given me not only that but at the same time i have grown and found the ability to be honest with myself, the support i needed to do so and the love and fellowship of others. Some of these it has been so beautiful to see grow as well. You are always welcome back to the rooms. Not to share the pain you once found in the midst of addiction but to share the way sobriety has helped you to be true with yourself and others. You could be helping yourself and perhaps others to find what you have found.

For me at least sobriety open so many doors. Some slowly some quickly and i do believe there are more ahead.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest erinanita

I have transitioned during the time that I have been attending AA. I just did not actually come to meetings during the seven or so years that I was making these changes in my life. When my changes had run the course I came back to AA. AA has always been home for more than thirty years, even when I wasn't attending meetings. It means acceptance and support. It means that regardless of what my current problem is I will not turn to drugs or alcohol to deal with it. The fact that I had a desire to transition was something that I would never have been able to face without becoming sober. But I think now it is important for me to return as well so that I can do my part in carrying the message to those who still suffer, especially those that are or may be thinking of transitioning.

Erin