• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Self

Guest Kati

It seems to me that cross dressing involves a number of selves. Some view it as a self-revelatory experience or a self-fulfiling experience. However, there is a flip side to the selves. Cross dressing can also be a self-absorbing experience or self-indulgent experience. There are times it can be just plain selfish. I wish it wasn't so, but it is. It is so easy to get so wrapped up in self that we don't take into consideration the feelings and needs of others in our lives. We don't really count the cost of Cding. I wish I could put a positive spin on the question of self, but I can't. I still think that selflessness is a virtue. How out-moded is that?

Kati, everyone has self interests. I have seen so many within the community deny it is selfish. I am the sort to accept realities rather than try and deny such because of a bad connotation.

Being selfish can also be seen as taking care of oneself.

It is common when we are kids to be told not to be selfish to share, etc. So it beats into our heads that it is bad. We all need to take care of our needs, our desires etc. So some amount of selfishness is fine. It only becomes a problem when we become so self absorbed or self focused that we aren't there for others and don't find an appropriate balance.

I take it, since you are thinking of this, something about it is bothering you. That in essence says there must be something in you that does care to balance out what you are feeling is selfish.

I suppose I have been troubled by some of the posts I have read here and elsewhere. Cross dressing can be a pleasure, but it does happen in a vacuum. There is inherent in Cding the potential of hurting or disappointing someone dear to me or whose good opinion I greatly value. My post was simply me thinking out loud.

Drea, it was good of you to write. Your kindness is appreciated.

• Forum Moderator

Kali,

i lived for years feeling as you describe. I believed for most of my life that i was selfish for just being me. If i was honest i would hurt others. What a conundrum that makes! Do i keep lying or get honest about myself. I have come to believe that i have to be myself and try in the process to hurt others as little as possible. I no longer believe that i am selfish for being who i am. The realization has been like dropping a rock and finding truth instead of dishonesty.

Hugs,

Charlie

Guest Brenda Hailey

Is their hurt or disappointment worth more than yours ? If so why?

I suppose one could assign a malicious intent on crossdressing to hurt someone ,but how realistic is that really?

You did not choose to be the way you are, but you do choose to hide or lie about it. Dishonesty and Lying carry just as much hurt and disappointment as telling the truth, but in truth you will finally be set free. The cost of freedom paid in full by that decision no matter how hurtful.

Isnt "their" judgement or expectation of you not a selfish indulgement on their part as well?

Striving to live the most honest and truthful life you can is not selfish. You could be depriving them of the best friend they could ever have known, "the real you", or not, but how would they ever know?

Selflessness is a virtue but hiding is not a selfless act.

Brenda Hailey

Guest Freegrl

Hi Kati,

Cross-dressing is just a part of myself. I shop as a male for my female, and I enjoy my body much more and while I could go out in public without too much aplomb, but I'm saving that for a special day (dress shopping where the fit matters). I think that cross-dressingg is part of me that I don't need to fight anymore. The mirror reports that I look passable, and I love the challenge of it, and the girl in the mirror is often very cute and seductive. I don't have an SO and want to explore myself before I explore someone else, but if yes, I think that it's normal to have a different sense of selves even for non-CDers.

Is it "self-ish?" I really don't think so. It really depends on if you feel that you're still looking answers or if you've found good answers but are still looking for better ones. :)

Almost all of my closest loved-ones know that I've done technical x-dressing during Halloween and they consider it an odd hobby among my other odd hobbies. It makes _me_ happy for now to let them know that I'm active again after a decade+ of inactivity. I know I'm really blessed to have such understanding from those that know me best.

Oddly enough, the worst backlash I've had are crippled friendships with three male friends who are gay.

But, I am who I am. I might be selfless and in the next moment selfish, and those who I love and who love me will work it out!

Go for it!

lotsa luv,

-tina

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 268 Guests (See full list)

• Mmindy
    • RaineOnYourParade
    • Karen Carey
    • Birdie
    • Ivy
    • Petra Jane
    • KathyLauren
    • Thea
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

MossycupMolly
    Newest Member
    MossycupMolly

1. Angelo christoper
      Angelo christoper
      (38 years old)
    2. Joslynn
      Joslynn
      (61 years old)
    3. Kaltia_Atlas
      Kaltia_Atlas
    4. Rika_Lil
      Rika_Lil
      (40 years old)
    5. Summerluv
      Summerluv
      (19 years old)
    • VickySGV
      I have not heard about it here in California, but then again we have events of various sorts going on very often, and not just in the June Pride Month.  We have Trans Fashion Week going on at a hotel complex over in West Los Angeles for the next three nights featuring shows by Trans fashion designers and modeled by Trans and NB people on the runways there.  I missed a chance for some free tickets and while I know and love many of the participants I do not want to pay for the tickets which will be in the $50 to $75 range, and which at those prices are nearly sold out.  (Not to mention $25 valet parking each night at the venue complex.).  There will be actual high end fashion buyers there though and it is an area where we are gaining some good footing.  I also admit that NONE of the fashions are going to be anything at all that would fit my basic personal style but look fine if not crazy on my much younger Trans siblings who will model them. (Ok everyone else keep on @Mirrabooka's topic.)
    • Ivy
      TBH, Never heard of it.
    • Mmindy
      Welcome to TransPulseForums @gizgizgizzie    I hope you find this place as helpful as I do. I’m also in a slow transition living in the androgynous world. I’m out to my grown children and my extended family with mixed support from them. Some have cut me out of their lives and others want me to be their flamboyant family member.    Best wishes, stay positive and motivated    Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • Davie
      To escape Gaza is already an achievement. And then to be trans?’: the women defying national and gender boundaries. https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/may/16/yolande-zauberman-documentary-the-belle-from-gaza-cannes-film-festival
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Accidents happen.  So do heat-of-the-moment murders, without premeditation or trans-related hate.  It will take a trial to really figure it out.     One thing we can see from this is that it is people in our circles of acquaintances, friends, and partners who are the ones who usually hurt us.  Not someone random. We have to be careful who we trust.
    • ClaireBloom
      You look so cute in that pic Ashley!  
    • Birdie
      A bit of bra humour...
    • Mirrabooka
      Friday May 17th is IDAHOBIT (International Day Against HOmophobia, BIphobia and Transphobia).   Do you acknowledge or celebrate it? Do you do anything special for it, like taking part in any organized events or activities?   I'm not an activist and I prefer to fly under the radar, but I am slowly becoming aware of important dates. I have been aware of the date of IDAHOBIT for a few weeks now, but other important 'rainbow' dates have not been etched into my brain yet.    I will wear my favorite pride t-shirt as a token acknowledgement of the day, but it probably won't be seen; cool weather here will mean that it will be hidden under a sweater.    
    • Mirrabooka
    • Mirrabooka
      Happiness for me comes from being cognizant of the things that make me feel good.   Sunshine.   Pandering to my inner woman.   Knowing that some people in my life really 'know' me.   Vacations, and Eggs Benedict at an alfresco cafe.   My wife and I being telepathic.   Grandchildren.   Music.   Wine!    
    • Ivy
      True.  Every trans death is not a hate crime. There is so much hate expressed by some people, that we kinda get to expect it.
    • KymmieL
      happiness to me is being ME. At all times, and it has yet to happen.
    • Vidanjali
      Hello & welcome, giz! Your post makes me remember how excited I was to join here too. I also had queer friends at the time I joined, but any of my trans friends lived a long distance away. So most local queer friends are gay & I felt uncomfortable coming out to them bc I couldn't assume they'd understand genderqueerness. So it was a thrill to join here and immediately have access to do many wonderful, genuine, kind & thoughtful friends-to-be.   Are you saying you're concerned that if you come out to your queer friends that somehow your parents will find out?     My love, I just want to affirm that that's not a weird dysphoria. It's just dysphoria. And we definitely get it. You're in good company here!     Look forward to seeing you around here & getting to know you. I shoot for androgynous appearance as well, leaning towards masculine.   Hope you're having a splendid day!
    • Heather Shay
      Listening to a YouTube mix for me and this song came up and I immediately fell in love again and just want to play music with like minded musicians playing OUR music and feel the joy and fulfillment even if no one else gets it. I love to fall into the music....  
    • April Marie
      Welcome to the forums, giz! We’re so happy you found us. You’ll find lots of information and many wonderful people here. Each of us is unique but we all share similarities as well. Look around, ask questions and join in where you feel comfortable!
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.