• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

With death of transgender student, a community mourns and redoubles its efforts

Guest LizMarie

• Admin

That is a shame, and a tragedy. Mindy sounds like a very complicated, psychologically damaged person. As her parents said, we'll never know exactly why she took her life. I suppose it was a combination of many things.

There was a feature on "60 Minutes" last night, about the lack of beds and treatment options for teens and young adults with severe psychological problems. Few seem to care about such issues, especially government officials and legislators. No one wants to spend any money, and its only a priority for the people directly effected. This is a national problem, and not just a problem for trans folk.

Thanks for posting this, LizMarie.

Carolyn Marie

Guest KimberlyF

There was a feature on "60 Minutes" last night, about the lack of beds and treatment options for teens and young adults with severe psychological problems. Few seem to care about such issues, especially government officials and legislators. No one wants to spend any money, and its only a priority for the people directly effected. This is a national problem, and not just a problem for trans folk.

It's not just an issue for those needing a bed. Mental health is considered secondary if at all in our society.
  • Admin
.t's not just an issue for those needing a bed. Mental health is considered secondary if at all in our society.

For once, we agree, Kim. There were abuses with the old system of warehousing psych patients in horrid asylums. But when they closed those, the promised local facilities were quickly forgotten about. Even insurance doesn't help much; once you use up the 2-3 psych sessions allowed by most plans, you have to pay full freight. And that's if you can find someone. Some of these mass shootings could have been avoided with treatment available.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Brenda Hailey

"These kids are so brave,” Urbanski said. “They’re navigating a world that doesn’t understand them, rarely even tolerates them and is often openly hostile to them.”

Cant help but cry reading the article.

I am in awe of the kids brave enough to do this and be themselves. I has taken me decades to even consider it and I am still scared I cant imagine how hopeless and lost many of them feel doing this as children.

Having had one foot over the edge most of my life, I am glad I finally put it back on solid ground and am living my life the way I should have always lived it.

I cant help but think how many kids would not be lost if people just cared.

I had no idea the homeless rate among trans kids was like that. I wonder what it is like in my own town.

A room and some caring support could make all the difference in someones suffering life. I suppose if I wasnt living such a sheltered life of my own I would know more about this stuff.....hmmmmm

Brenda Hailey

Guest KimberlyF

.t's not just an issue for those needing a bed. Mental health is considered secondary if at all in our society.

For once, we agree, Kim.

Carolyn Marie

And it's still Jan! :)

image_zps4f737f74.jpg

Mindy was confused by many things. I read the article and what connected with me was the anger she felt. She lashed out at her own family until they had to place Mindy somewhere else. When I was going through my issues there were many, many times I nearly lashed out at friends and family but caught myself. What I find disturbing is that many mainstream TGLB organizations do not have the problems of suicide and homelessness at the top of their agenda.

My heart goes out to her parents. I have a friend who has a teenaged son they had to relinquish to state dependency to get him into proper intensive care for his problems. He'd become a danger to his own family.

My daughter has some emotional issues for which she is medicated, and I worry all the time that no matter how much love and support she has from her family, it might someday not be enough. Our jails are filled with people who never would have landed in trouble with the law if we had effective mental health care for them.

And the reminder that being trans doesn't mean that it's someone's only problem is a poignant one. I hope she can find peace in her next life that she didn't have in this one.

• Admin

I have a daughter that was hospitalized many times a year over 15 year period with mental health issues. Improper monitoring of a drug they were giving her lead to kidney failure for a period of time and had us in ICU with her for 10 days. She was closer to death at that point than most of her suicide attempts. She is now at her longest time without a self harm act-out, but it is not ever going to be certain. She is alive for now though at age 34. Her aunt was never hospitalized but had many of the same problems, her aunt killed herself two and a half years ago with a gun she should never have been able to purchase because she hid most of her MI from the world and our family would never admit that it could happen to one of us. Few family members accept the real problems my daughter does have.

Denial of the problems and fear and disbelief that our fellow humans go through the very real hell that they do is one of the chief learning needs of this century. Hell is not always a place to go after death!!

Guest Megan_Lynn

For once, we agree, Kim.

Carolyn Marie

And it's still Jan! :)

image_zps4f737f74.jpg

Well we all know why its so cold out now hell has frozen over...lol

Once again we something that is so sad and should have never happened.

When it comes to a lot of mental issues we have become a disposable society for many of our people.

Mia