• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Testify at a Senate Hearing?

Guest Markietoo

Guest Markietoo

I find myself in a rather difficult but interesting situation. I've been asked to testify at a State Senate Hearing dealing with my old job (I retired 2 years ago). Living now full time as a woman, my working life was as a man. My testimony would be very helpful to the Senate Committee holding the hearing being that I ran the Section that they are looking into. No one else has the background or experience that I have and this places me in a serious conundrum. I do not wish to be a public figure at this stage of my transition and there is a good chance that the reporters who are following the issues being discussed will take pictures and write about my testimony.

This public hearing is a wonderful chance to help change the way the Department deals with elder abuse investigations. I also see this as a possible opportunity to present myself as a responsible, articulate advocate for the elderly who also happens to be a transsexual. The committee staff already knows about my TG status since I had to tell them to see if they would not want me there at all. I also would have to testify under oath and have to identify myself with my, still legal, name, which is male, not the name I now use, Markie. My thoughts on this are in conflict but I'm leaning toward going to the hearing next week and give them my testimony. I worked for over 24 years trying to help the elderly and it was my passion, not just a job. This situation has forced me to confront my fears and to balance those with the need to use my experience to further the cause I spent so many years working with. Protect myself or do something for the greater good of our society. Sounds so self important to say it like that. I may just need to put on my big girl panties and go.

Thinking about going to the State Capitol to testify made me think about something rather new for me: What am I going to wear??? Make me laugh and go look at my closet.

I'm interested in what you all have to say about this situation. Appreciate any insights folks have to offer. Thanks!

Markie

• Forum Moderator

What an opportunity to help others and yourself at the same time. The awkwardness of the name seems to be the only big problem. It is only a problem if you are trying to be stealth and it sounds like the committee already knows your status. I ran into a somewhat similar situation soon after going full time. It ended up with a local newspaper speaking mostly about my art but also mentioning my being trans. For me it was OK. I felt like there was no one to hide from any longer.

Each of us have to do what we are comfortable with. I love your wondering what to wear. Perhaps . That is excitinga great opportunity to get a flattering suit? A makeover and a mani , pedi. I would have trouble resisting but also know you must also think of how it will help those you want to hurt. Sometimes i've been afraid that being trans might take away from my goal.

Let us know. That is exciting.

Hugs,

Charlie

• Admin

Markie -- as another state retiree whose pending transition was known when I retired, my personal feeling is GO and be PROUD of what you have done and are doing. The capitol press will be there, but I have met them too, and they will treat you with dignity and respect. The fact you have let the panel members know of you, and their holding out the invitation to you still indicates they are hoping for special input and a new way of thinking of things. Elder abuse is a topic about us and others who are some of the MOST vulnerable. I know I would jump at the chance if my agency wanted me to go and do what you are being invited to do,

As far as what to wear, I have a black skirt and blazer that would be my choice, along with a ruffle front blouse, white or pastel, and black pumps and purse!! Age appropriate, stylish business woman and State Official.

• Admin

I agree with Vicky. I think you should go for it. As for the press, unless you made an issue of your being trans, or talking about trans issues in relation to elder abuse, it is not an appropriate topic for a story about your testimony or the legislation. It is irrelevant, unless you make it so, and you should point that out to any reporters who bring it up.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest April Kristie

Markie, Truly a conundrum as you say. T pride is important to all of us, but as you mention you are retired and perhaps after two years some of the topics at hand have evolved past your close scrutiny? Or you just might be on top of it all. It would be a great step for the elderly and perhaps even you. As Vicky and said this is about your knowledge and perserverance in this area, if they allow you to visit with them, pull up those big girls panties and take them by storm!

As always I wish you the best in your decision.