• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

3rd week on T-some depression?

Guest RyanT52

Guest RyanT52

I accidentally posted in the MTF forum rather than here. I saw the M and went for it, lol. I last posted in September. It's amazing how much has changed. Good stuff mostly (some pretty big stressors but also some good).

I started on 2/13 at **cc

After 5 days I felt some uncomfortable irritability so the next week injected .**cc

and then yesterday injected .**cc. I was thinking if I injected weekly it would even out the levels.

My doctor said it was fine to do that. She wanted to start me off at .*cc every 2 weeks

The first two injections I felt good-calm, tired, then more energy. It felt right (the irritability was a little uncomfortable but manageable)

Today I've had some depression and fatigue. I do have a chronic illness which my doctor knows about but all my symptoms had disappeared with the first injection. It was awesome.

I'm not sure if the depression today has to do with some external factors (trying to figure out how to come out to my family and a couple other stressors) or whether its by body adjusting or its too low a dose.

Anyone else had this? Thoughts? Suggestions?

After 3 months I'll double my dose after I get my blood levels back.

Also for those who are worried about self-injecting. It's a breeze! Put a song you like on and go for it! I have a little ritual now (I was way nervous about self-injecting).

Edited by MaryEllen
Removed dosage amounts per rule 18
  • Forum Moderator

I'm sorry that i haven't shared your experiences. All i can suggest is speaking to your doctor. I know with E different forms have different ways of getting us to the levels we wish. Best of luck and i hope it evens out for you. Time alone might be what you need.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Our bodies are highly individual and how they react to T is as well. What works for me may not for someone else and the type of T can make a difference as well since some esters are longer lasting than others. I use a compounded blend of each to level out mood but compounds can be more expensive. Your body can also change how it reacts as it struggles to adjust to the enormous change you are putting it through. That's why we need tested more frequently at first. To make the situation more complex there are some medications that affext T levels. One prescription pain killer actually drops it to near zero even in cis men but because their systems make up for it and replace the T on their own many Drs aren't aware of it or think about it. Another common problem is that thyroid medication and T interact to some degree and thyroid medication usually needs to be decreased some when on T. Having thyroid levels off can cause a host of problems like depression and irritability.

It may not be any of those things. May not even be the T or may be that your body needs to adapt to the changing hormone levels and it will even out. Hormone fluctuations affect some people far more than others-look at the difference in PMS among women who have the same hormone changes and some are miserable several days a month while others barely react . Some men feel the euphoria of starting psychologically and then after a few injections a let down at how little has changed in reality-at how long it takes. It can be on a level below conscious thought too. Or when something else triggers a depressed feeling it can be easy to think first of this major change in your life when it is something else at the base of it.

In other words it is a very complex situation with many possibilities and no one easy answer. I agree that only your Dr can really help you determine what is best to do here.He may well want to do another blood test to be sure this dosage is working for you. I have seen one person need four times usual dosage while for someone else the standard dosage is too high. And if a dose is too high for your body then it is converted into E. It is a delicate balance that varies by individual. It can take awhile to get it right for some which is frustrating but in the long run you'll get there.

Johnny

Guest RyanT52

Thanks Johnny. It's hard to figure all this stuff out. I was so happy with my first shot. I am on a a few medications for my illness. The doctor was aware of them and didn't make any comment.

I'm also having increased fatigue this week. With my first shot I had more energy and thought my chronic illness was gone!

I'm curious about the compounding T. If you read this and have a chance would it be possible to PM me what it is?

I'm going to make an appt with my doctor next week but it will likely be awhile before I can get in. I'll ask her what she thinks of the compounded version. You and I have an illness that are cousins so I'm wondering if that would work better for me also.

• Forum Moderator

Ryan the compound I use is based on the same formula of the blend that is the number one prescribed form of T in the world but not available in the US because the manufacturers don't want to go through all the red tape involved in a class III substance. I'm not familiar enough to give you a good description of the blend and why it is in those proportions. It is called Sustanon and my recommendation would be to research it and print out the information and take it to your Dr. It will give him the right proportions of T types and perhaps even the reasoning behind it. Not suggesting that you would -but others may read this and it can be tempting to try to secure it illegally which is a very bad idea. First you have no way of knowing the proper dosage for your individual chemistry and second it is the most counterfeited drug in the world. Many of those counterfeits, most of which are not even T, are in dangerous suspensions as well. Someone committing a felony by selling it in the first place isn't going to care much about your health or the consequences if it kills you.

Good luck with the Dr visit. Each Dr has his own ideas and reasons for the way he prescribes so my last advise is to always discuss things with your Dr and go by his advise because he knows you and your body personally and has the training no one here does. I can tell you what I do and why but that may not be appropriate for you and only a Dr can know that for sure.

Johnny

Guest MrAwesome

I'm thinking of a couple possibilities. For one thing, I think there's sort of an initial high you get, an adrenaline rush starting T because... Well, OMG You're starting T!! So maybe what you initially felt wasn't so much the T but rather your own excitement? Or it could be your body adjusting because you initially had a lot of estrogen in your system, now your body is being taken over by testosterone, you're probably not producing estrogen the same as you were, in other words your hormones are all funky and it's going to take time for you to steady out and adjust. It took me maybe a month? before I felt completely levelled and normal with what I had. I also was started on a dose that was too high though. Which was maybe good because I reacted so well to it.

Anyway, I think you'll just have to see what happens.