• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Lump after injecting T

Guest Justin38

Guest Justin38

Ever since I've been taking T I always get these lumps. I used to inject in my thigh and then the lump would appear the day after and would take some days to go away. I didn't like it so I switched to injecting on my glutes. it's less painful there and it's easier. but I still get these lumps and they last for a week. they don't hurt or anything, just for the first few days and then they're okay. but I don't know if that's normal to get a lump EVERY time? maybe my body is just very sensitive. I do massage the injection site for a good 5 mins after and it still doesn't work. does this happen to any of you? I'll ask my doc next time I see her

• Admin

Is the bump reddened? If so, contact the doctor by phone NOW, that is an allergic reaction, probably to the "carrier" or non hormone part of the shot, and could be corrected by a different manufacturer's formula for the "carrier". It could also be a minor infection and shows you are not cleaning properly before giving the shot, or keeping the needle sterile.

There are too many reasons that it could happen. Call the doctor, they may want you to come in and demonstrate how you are administering your shots. Do not fool with allergies though.

Hi Justin,

On my pre-op dose of Estrogen, the shots would cause painful bumps that usually lasted several days. The doctor told me that as long as the weren't red or warm to the touch, they were normal. One thing that he suggested is to vigorously massage the area for about two minutes after the injection to spread out the fluid into the muscle. Nowadays my dosage is much lower and those bumps don't happen.

Not sure if that helps. Best of luck!

Love, Megan.

• Forum Moderator

It is my understanding that the lump is the T solution you have injected into the muscle and that they are normal. The less fat you have in the area the more noticeable it may be. Also that some soreness with them is normal sometimes but as Megan said if there is any redness or warmth it is an indication of a problem

Still a good idea to ask your Dr too. T is suspended in different oils and it can also be an allergy to that. I've even heard of peanut oil being used but don't think any US companies do that. I noticed if I inject on a day I am not hiking or exercising my leg gets sore but if I do a lot of walking afterward it seems to disperse the fluid and not get sore.

Johnny

Guest Justin38

thank you all :)

the bump isn't red, it's my skin color but the bump does get itchy too I forgot to mention this. only the first two days it's like that though. I'm doing my other shot tonight so I will see what happens and I'll do everything extra to prevent the bump. I will excersise or walk after it as well, I've never thought of that. I heard taking a warm shower before giving the shot also helps

Guest Erwynn

Seems like we usually have a choice of cottonseed or sesame seed oil in the U.S. Your itching worries me, frankly. I'd talk to my doctor about that.

I do get a bump sometimes, and massaging the area does help prevent it. The bump I can ignore, but I have enough things that cause me severe allergic reactions that I wouldn't ignore itching from an intramuscular injection with a seed oil. I would probably try the other carrier oil to see if the itching goes away.

Guest Sarah1967

I take E and I never had any type of bump or redness or anything after I take my injection so you might call your doctor like Vicky said..