• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Considering stopping dilations

I'm a little over a year postop. And, not that dilation takes a bunch of time or energy. But, as I'm doing it, I keep asking, "why?"

Dilation is sexually pleasurable, but not enough to be an attraction.

And, keeping the vaginal canal open for other sexual activity - not gonna happen!

About the only reason I can think of is hygiene, like brushing one's teeth. And, even this reason isn't so good with me - I have a post-op defect that is aggravated by dilation, and poses an infection risk.

In spite of it, I try to dilate every two days, though twice a week is probably more accurate.

I've avoided asking my surgeon, because he wants to do more surgery on me. But, I will write him one day soon and ask...

Has anyone else considered this? What else should I be considering?

Thank you! Megan

• Admin

I admit that I have gotten sloppy the last few weeks, and instead of 1:24 that my instructions say to do, its more like 2:72 a couple of times recently and I am not afraid of it that way, but I know what can happen if I keep it up, namely I will go too long and screw things up. There are just too many different recommendations and schedules out there. I am not considering dilation cold turkey, I am not as certain of my future and like to keep the "options" open. Stick with your idea of the letter to the doctor, I know quitting is not for me. :dunno::dunno:

• Forum Moderator

I only hope that you will take good care of yourself. Please do get in touch with your surgeon. I can understand why it seems a chore but perhaps like flossing it gets easier but just doing it. My situation. in both health and relationships will keep me from having to dilate. I can see it could become a chore but if your doctor can help please do get it.

Best to you dear,

Hugs,

Charlize

You speak of hygiene which raises questions. I don't have answer on that but there are conflicting pieces of information out there.

It used to be you dilated once a week after the first 6 months or year (at least those who went to some surgeons). Douching was also kind of a standard keep things clean and a once a week dilate and douche wasn't uncommon. People would report that if they didn't douche there would be an odor.

Then I heard it stated one shouldn't douche because after some time a natural equilibrium of bacteria and chemistry in there would develop just like with any woman and douching would just mess that up. That any odor was caused because this natural chemistry wasn't allowed to develop. The suggestion being that the odor was came about because of douching perpetuating a cycle.

That sounds fair enough, but how can a natural chemistry/bacteria balance for if one is dilating daily and introducing the associated lubricant?

I guess what I am saying there may be more than just one option

I know there are people who stop dilating because they have interest in maintaining depth. I've never heard any comments about having a problem outside the expected of losing depth, but absence of any comments doesn't mean there weren't any issues.

Certainly if dilating aggravates an injury and you have no interest in vaginal intercourse the desire to discontinue is understandable.

Guest Leah1026

You have yo do what's right for you and your circumstances.

Me? Personally, I'm almost 7 years post-op and still dilating 2-3 times a week. It's important to me. I worked too hard to get where I am to just slack off and lose it. Also, another reason was my depth was marginal to begin with and I feel it's imperative to dilate to maintain what I have. In addition, while dilation is a chore, it's a chore I like doing. It's the most personal kind of "me time". Maybe eventually I'll back off my regimen, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DesiB

Megan, I am so jealous of you having a surgeon who is still interested doing more follow surgery for you! I really need it but my experiences have left me with serious trust issues within the medical profession (my surgeon stopped taking to me a year ago after a bad experience with her, then 6 months ago my primary care physician quit on me so she would never have to see my private parts to apply silver nitrate or do a prostate exam), so I'll just continue being abnormal for the rest of my life--at least it's in a private area.

But to make my dilation routine a bit easier, I keep (the green) one in my shower and use it for just a few minutes every day. Then I try to do a full hour long dilation once a week (with the orange), but often go longer between sessions. I don't think it has cost me any loss of girth or depth and I am finally starting to see a little less bleeding from the chronic granulation tissue (2 & 1/2 years post op). Anyway, I would never consider stopping completely.