• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Greatest Generation new profile pic

• Forum Moderator

You will notice that I've put up a new, temp, profile pic. It's my dad and grandpa. Dad's in his uniform and I think that he'd had a few beers. lol. Anyway, to me my Dad will always be a hero. In WW2, he and his platoon sargeant were the only survivors of a German ambush. Dad was shot in his right shoulder and his sarge in the belly. Dad, drug sarge almost a mile back to the road where they were rescued by a passing jeep. Yep, they both survived and spoke on the phone about a year before dad passed away.

I stand and salute all military members at Lauras. If you see a military person this weekend, thank them, give them a hug and even a kiss on the cheek- they're worth it.

Mike US ARMY

• Forum Moderator

My father served as well in the South Pacific. He was a young surgeon and was in a field hospital that was set up on the beach with the first wave. Hiding behind a dune he did his best to save lives. He rarely shared his experiences but through him i learned to respect all who had served. I have always been a pacifist and attended Quaker meetings when younger. My 'service" was in trying to keep us from going to war. Before Iraq it was so disappointing to see how small the protests were in Washington. Our brave soldiers should never have been subjected to that. Certainly not in any way their fault but a pity none the less. May all of our soldiers someday have a chance to not go to war.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

Thank you so much for this thread, Mike. It's wonderful of you to honor your father in this way. We owe our soldiers, sailors and air personnel so very much. They have too often sacrificed for causes of folly, but WWII was not one of them.

I worked for the VA for three years, and saw first hand the ravages of war on people's bodies and minds. Sometimes the care was first rate, but too often it was not. I hope that the VA can get itself straightened out, but its been going on far too long to have much confidence in it, or in our politicians to do anything but talk about it. Our veterans need better than that, and their care is a national shame.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

My dad arrived in LeHavre France a week after D-day and from there was sent to Liege, Belgium as part of a specially trained security group dealing with German POW's many of whom refused to believe the war was over. Other aspects of his job were assessing the damage done by the war, and finding unexploded ordnance. His stories to us always contained the elements of humanity that each side held and that the civilian survivors endured. He continued as an active reservist until I was nearly 25 years old.

I was medically unfit for military service which I know disappointed my father greatly.

Even though my dad was staunch Army, one of his proudest days was when my son graduated from the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis. Maryland. After the mandatory 5 years (in my son's case 7 due to nuclear power school additional time) my son is in Active Naval Reserves where he was activated full time for one year at the NATO allied command center dealing with Afghanistan. Last October, my son took his Navy education and a masters degree in Nuclear Engineering skills to work for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission on projects dealing with peaceful and safe uses of nuclear energy.

• Forum Moderator

My dad arrived in LeHavre France a week after D-day and from there was sent to Liege, Belgium as part of a specially trained security group dealing with German POW's many of whom refused to believe the war was over. Other aspects of his job were assessing the damage done by the war, and finding unexploded ordnance. His stories to us always contained the elements of humanity that each side held and that the civilian survivors endured. He continued as an active reservist until I was nearly 25 years old.

I was medically unfit for military service which I know disappointed my father greatly.

Even though my dad was staunch Army, one of his proudest days was when my son graduated from the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis. Maryland. After the mandatory 5 years (in my son's case 7 due to nuclear power school additional time) my son is in Active Naval Reserves where he was activated full time for one year at the NATO allied command center dealing with Afghanistan. Last October, my son took his Navy education and a masters degree in Nuclear Engineering skills to work for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission on projects dealing with peaceful and safe uses of nuclear energy.

Hi Vickey,

It sounds to me like your Dad had a pretty dangerous job there with the unexploaded ordance. It's a job that I never would have wanted,

I know that you and your Dad had to be "poppin' the buttons off prould", of your son the day he threw his hat in the air. Any man or woman that can survive the acadamies is one super smart person and I see by your son's mos that he is one of those guys.

• Forum Moderator

Thank you so much for this thread, Mike. It's wonderful of you to honor your father in this way. We owe our soldiers, sailors and air personnel so very much. They have too often sacrificed for causes of folly, but WWII was not one of them.

I worked for the VA for three years, and saw first hand the ravages of war on people's bodies and minds. Sometimes the care was first rate, but too often it was not. I hope that the VA can get itself straightened out, but its been going on far too long to have much confidence in it, or in our politicians to do anything but talk about it. Our veterans need better than that, and their care is a national shame.

Carolyn Marie

Hi Carolyn Marie,

Sometimes my Dad and I didn't see eye to eye but I will always honor him for the man that he was. Strong, truthful,kind, careing and gentle when need be. Whenever I pondered a question about how a man might do it , all I had to do was bring my Dad into focus and I had my answer..

Yes, war does terrible things to a soldiers mind. They see, hear and do things that no one should ever have to endure. My Dad, his 2 brothers and a neighbor man would set down on the porch sometimes and talk about the war. . The most upsetting would be Clyde's talk about the concentration camps he encountered.

I too, hope and pray that the VA gets their crap sorted out and put back together again. In the meantime,you can always watch "The 4th of July", starring Tom Cruise [ rotten vA care]

• Forum Moderator

My father served as well in the South Pacific. He was a young surgeon and was in a field hospital that was set up on the beach with the first wave. Hiding behind a dune he did his best to save lives. He rarely shared his experiences but through him i learned to respect all who had served. I have always been a pacifist and attended Quaker meetings when younger. My 'service" was in trying to keep us from going to war. Before Iraq it was so disappointing to see how small the protests were in Washington. Our brave soldiers should never have been subjected to that. Certainly not in any way their fault but a pity none the less. May all of our soldiers someday have a chance to not go to war.

Hugs,

Charlize

Hi Charlize,

One can only imagine the horrors that rolled upon you dad that day. Nothing can ever prepare one for the madness and insanity of the battlefield unless one has already experienced it Did your dad continue to practise after the war?

I am glad that we are out of Iraq. And, I can barely wait until we're outta Afghanistan. But, I hate that we lost so many lives in these 2 wars. I had both a grandson and his wife in both wars. Got both of them home safe, Thank God. .

• Forum Moderator

Yes dear my dad continued to practice surgery. He was loved by the nurses in th OR and by his patients. Having lived through hell he found humanity and always treated others with a respect and love that made him a loved man. He could never have approved of me now. We fought a great deal about various conflicts the US was involved in. He also continued in the national guard and retired after 25+ years as a full colonel. There is a flag over his grave this weekend.

I miss him.

My brother served on a carrier during Nam and also continued in the reserves till he got his 25 years.

Hugs,

Charlize