• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Gendered bathrooms needed no more

Guest Lauren31

Guest Lauren31

I am quite tired of gendered bathrooms. Everyone pees, everyone is human, everyone is suppose to be equal....so why why why. I mean I know that society has groomed everyone this way, but I think it is time for a change. For me I feel so awkward when I go in the male washroom, yet I know I will get slapped if I go in the female one. Moreover, I am considered intersex or gender ambiguous by some docs because my penis is so small due to a hormone disorder that I cannot use urinals without it being messy. So you can imagine when I go to a male washroom with six urinals and one stall with the stall toilet plugged.

Anyway, thanks for the vent. Any suggestions to start bring this word out in little ol winnipeg canada? Is there anything in the works now for this topic?

Thank you for listening

• Admin

I went to a TG conference at a local State College here a couple of months ago where the college had told the conference orgainizers it was OK to tape a signs on the restroom doors saying "All Gender Rest Rooms" which is becoming quite common for those events out here. Conference attendees all had name badges on, so we could tell one another, but the school had a large number of other folks on it too, who of course had no name badges on. Some of them took it not only in good stride, but took advantage of it on their own. The school liaison who was one of us, who simply presents as a cuter than all get out redhead got absolutely no kick backs from it.

At TG events I have been to in the past few years this has been the practice, and cis folk at those events have no trouble with it at all although they do figure out which one was originally designated for their gender. The only TG events where the genderless wash room rule is not used are in a couple of conventions where you never the less use the bathroom of the gender you are presenting.

I feel for you though!! I was pretty messy in the stand ups after a few months on E.

Guest Sarah Faith

I understand what you are saying but I really am not sure how I would feel about sharing a bathroom with men at this point if gendered bathrooms were eliminated completely. I just recently got over my shy bladder issues and the ability to start using public restrooms I fear that something like this would definitely be a huge setback for me. I'm just not sure how many people in society would be willing to allow such a major shift to happen. The average woman who is not attending a TG conference is likely not to be comfortable going into a neutral bathroom with guys, its a confined space where one is in a position of vulnerability with rape still being a very real reality in our society.

Guest Nicodeme

Lack of gender neutral lavs gave me a bladder of steel...and many painful infections. :s

I'm not completely sure if all bathrooms should be gender neutral (I feel a little uncomfortable peeing with guys myself even though I'm mostly one), but I really wish it was standard to have at least one wedged between the mens and womens rooms or something. The necessity for them goes beyond just trans folks, but people's refusal to make them a standard thing has an awful lot to do with the fact that we benefit from it. :/

Guest Lauren31

I totally see what you are saying sarah about being shy. I cannot pee at all with others in the bathroom.....I usually hld it til they are gone (and this is in a stall). Maybe the issue is that they should be not multi stall bathrooms...or the have the stalls right to the ground and covered.

The rape thing is brought up a lot when I speak of this....it is scary how real it is! But I think those who want to do that will find a way in gendered ones too. In our city we had just that happen. It is just sick. Definitely if I start a drive on this I would want it to be safe...and if not then it is a no go....I would never want to introduce danger. Thanks for psot

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to me that all one person bathrooms should be gender neutral. Often labeled "family" here in grocery stores and the like. Small restaurants often have singles and should pose no problem as well... I'm seeing both male and female symbols side by side for singles nowadays which is nice.

Michelle

Guest sydney

My wife and I just came back for the Transgender Health Conference in Philly where all the restrooms on that part of the convention center had women/men on top, but the regular signs all had gender neutral bathroom for both. There were some cis-gender attendees (all either providing services and/or allies.) Obviously there was no issues with the restrooms, but I did notice that those of us that identified and dressed female still used the women's (also there were more stalls in the women's bathroom) and the male identified used the mens even though either one could use the other.

I see your point, Lauren. I see more gender neutral bathrooms these days. Just this year I felt more comfortable using the ladies restrooms. I haven't had any problems. Even exchanged greetings while washing my hands.

:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 77 Guests (See full list)

• MaryEllen
    • Pip
    • Ashley0616
    • Heather Shay
    • Mirrabooka
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Justine76
    Newest Member
    Justine76

1. April Marie
      April Marie
    2. daniela...
      daniela...
      (59 years old)
    3. Emily May
      Emily May
    4. Felixr
      Felixr
      (20 years old)
    5. Leann
      Leann
      (56 years old)
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      Speculation , worst or best case, neither.
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      @RiyaHello and welcome. I also live in Ohio and it is a challenge but I applaud you for knowing pretty early on and becoming who you really are. Congratulations!
    • Heather Shay
      Do you feel safe in the country you now live in?
    • Heather Shay
      Oooooooooooooooops, I forgot yesterday.   I was thinking of a few bands who had a member invited who said no and went right into obscurity or left before the band got big.   1) Led Zeppelin -  origially wanted Terry Reid to be lead vocalist and he decided the stay solo. 2) Crosby, Stills & Nash - invited John Sebastian to join before Neil Young, Sebastian said no. 3) Signe Anderson quit as lead vocalist with Jefferson Airplane and they replaced her with Grace Slick.    
    • April Marie
      Good morning, everyone! We're back from a short vacation with friends to the mountains of NC. It was a fun time driving the twisty mountain roads.   Now it's back to reality of cutting grass, washing windows and putting in screens and putting out the porch furniture. Coming home to warmer weather than when we left is glorious.   Happy Anniversary @Willow!    I hope your family is feeling better @KymmieL - my wife and I shared a stomach virus several weeks ago that was horrid.   Hang in there @Birdie, it will all work out!!   Have a wonderful day, everyone!
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      I think many Christians end up with a false dichotomy.  If we didn't choose to be how we are, then something in our environment did it. Is going along with it a sin?  Maybe.  But if so, its one of those times where we mess something up no matter what we do.  Part of the imperfect nature of this fallen world is that there are times where we'll sin no matter what we do.  In a no-win scenario like that, we do the wisest thing possible with our free will. 
    • EasyE
      This is the crux of my anguish these many, many months (years!) and where I go back-and-forth with my own journey ... I was born a biological male. No denying that in my case. But I have a lot of internal feminine leanings and external ones, too. I prefer to wear women's clothes 100 percent of the time (if I could). I wish I had the female plumbing. I long for that badly sometimes. I don't know why or where that came from but no denying that either. I have started HRT because I like the idea of having a more feminine physical body and some of the "perks" that go with that. I just asked my doc to up my dose to the next level today!   So the big question I ask myself is: am I knowingly disobeying God, who likes order and made humans male and female, by taking these steps? This is my wife's take on things. "You are sinning. You know God made you a male biologically. Yet you are willfully pursuing transition to being something God didn't intend you to be regardless of what you feel inside, what your preferences are, etc."  I keep trying to tell her it's much more complex than that but sometimes I don't even know what I think...   This ties up in knots and makes me angry and makes me feel stuck!!! I don't want to disobey my Creator and Savior and yet I have this strong, strong leaning toward the feminine in many ways (that keeps getting stronger and refuses to go away no matter how much I have tried to stuff it away!!) ... It feels like misery no matter which path I take - if I "give in" to the feminine, which I have been doing a lot the past 12 months or so, am I endangering my soul? Am I creating scandal? Yet the thought of putting the feminine aside feels, at times, like death too (or is it just me being self-centered and unwilling to bend the knee to my Creator who would ask me to give this up as a testament to my love for him...   I don't know. I don't know. I don't know!! But sometimes I really really F***ing hate this quandary... 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      We use a ton of Harbor Freight stuff here.  They have pretty good warranty, too, I guess.  GF beats all heck out of sockets and things, and if she takes them back they get replaced for free.  Harbor Freight was junk 20 years ago, but its really good now.  Craftsman used to be good 20 years ago, but now its junk (but they still want to charge made-in-the-usa prices).  Dewalt is now Chinese also, when it used to be made in Germany.  Older Dewalt tools are good, but GF got a really bad hand injury a few years ago from a Chinese Dewalt drill bit that shattered.  Some of the name brands just aren't what they used to be. 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Honestly, all the numbers are monkey math.  Doesn't matter who's in charge.  Trump kept crowing about the damn stock market, which didn't make a difference to normal people.  All the "job creation" is an illusion.  They consider it job creation when they take good full time jobs, and split them in half to "make" two part-time or temp jobs.  Not totally a Biden problem, as this has been going on for decades now.  Things *began* to get better under Trump.  A bit.  Maybe 8 years would have been better, but it wouldn't have fixed it.  Too much damage.    To me, Trump is a case of "too little, too late."  In my opinion, we need more - a true nationalist, with an aggressive and isolationist foreign policy.  And we needed him 50 years ago.  I want to see:   High import tariffs, a currency backed by precious metals, no more "climate" stuff and repudiation of all "accords" or other agreements, elimination of excess government agencies like the FBI and EPA, and total seizure of foreign-owned assets on US soil - with sale and disbursement of profits to our citizens.  And that would be a basic start.  Instead of "sanctions" to interrupt the trade of nations we don't like, Congress should instead issue letters-of-marque as described in the Constitution.  I'd like to see an alliance with Russia, and an end to nearly a century of useless conflict.    Trump won't do any of those things.  He's a sad, pale imitation of the leaders that founded our nation.     
    • KymmieL
      Well I got some terrible news today. My therapist is a doctoral intern at the VA. Her internship is ending the end of July. Normally interns just continue with the VA after their degree is done. However, VA has a hiring freeze on. So, I am going to loose one of the best therapists I have ever had. One that actually cares about me. I do have a few months till she leaves, Thankfully.   Other than that. my wife and youngest are both sick. Don't know if they got it worse that I had on Thurs/Friday. Or I am destine to get it too.   I've got tools that range from cheapy flea market stuff all the way up to high grade, Mac and Snap-on. Most have lasted me for quite a long time. I am diligently trying to keep my happy arse out or the Snap-on truck when he comes every Thurs. So far, I have resisted. But the temptation is there.   Kymmie
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.