• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

University of Missouri adds gender identity, expression to nondiscrimination policy

KathrynJulia

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/education/university-of-missouri-curators-add-gender-identity-expression-to-non/article_b43c115a-f7f8-11e3-8910-0017a43b2370.html

The University of Missouri made a powerful statement on Thursday when they voted to add Gender Identity and expression to the Universities Non Dsicrimination Policy. A couple of weeks ago, I was pulled in and told that they were doing away with my job position. Earlier they had tried intimidation and denigrating statements telling me I needed to justresign my job and leave. That I was incompetent and needed to go

I've held my position for eight and a half years working in IT. In the first six months after I announced that I was starting transition, had legally changed my name to Kathryn and would be living full time as a woman, I suddenly became the target of micro management and nitpicking over everything I did. They moved my two co-workers downstairs and left me isolated and alone in our IT office. One of my co-workers remained one of my best supporters. The other co-worker initiated operation silent treatment. My co-worker who supports me then began receiving the silent treatment and other abuse because he kept supporting my being a Trans woman. He continues to be my friend and ally and I appreciate him so much for the courage he has shown.. I fear that because of his support of me, they are making life miserable for him.

I've been working with a lot of folks on campus to bring inclusion of Trans people through adopting coverage of needed Trans gender medical care. I informed one of them that I would not be able to continue because I was losing my job. She spoke to a University attorney who investigates discrimination and asked me to talk with them. With this new non discrimination policy put into place yesterday, I have been asked to allow them to investigate the loss of my job. Being a 59 1/2 year old Trans woman, it's going to be difficult to find another job. Heck, lets be honest, it's going to be dam near impossible to get another job paying anywhere near what I was earning. I've scheduled SRS surgery in August that I'm going ahead with anyway. If I loose everything that I have worked for my entire life, I'll not have gender dysphoria making my life any more miserable then I already will be by becoming unemployed.

In closing, I applaud the courage of the University of Missouri Board of Reagents for passing the change to the Non-Discrimination Policy and for bringing Gender Identity and Expression to be aprotected rights of all Transgendered students and employees. Now if the Missouri legislature would show the same courage as the University Board of Reagents and Pass the Missouri Nondiscrimination Act (MONA), Transgendered people everywhere in Missouri would begin to enjoy basic human rights. Kathy

• Admin

I applaud your courage and determination, KJ. I hope that the new non-discrimination policy hasn't come to late to help you in this situation. Perhaps the Uni will have a change of heart, and "discover" some money to keep your position funded. I hope you stay employed in a job you clearly love and are good at.

One would think that a college or university would be a great place to transition. It comes down to the individual(s) in charge, as well as the "corporate" culture.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Carla_Davis

Hi Kathy,

I am sorry to read about your job loss.

I do want to commend you for any of your assistance in bringing trans-inclusion in the University of Missouri. :goodjob::ThanxSmiley:

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery in August.

Keep us informed.

Hugs, :wub:

Carla

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 187 Guests (See full list)

• Birdie
    • Charlize
    • KathyLauren
    • RaineOnYourParade
    • MaeBe
    • Ashley0616
    • JaySee88
    • missyjo
    • Betty K