• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A small huge step ^_^

Guest Edu

I have been blatantly out since October last year. I wear make up and obvious feminine clothing (generally tees and skinny jeans) more often than not; I even wear padded bras (it ain't something big, but it's clearly noticeable). Yet, for some reason, I was too scared to wear a skirt in public. I had tried a couple of times, but panicked before getting to my apartment's door.

But this changed last Saturday :D A friend was coming for the weekend and I ended up joking on the phone saying that I'd greet him wearing no pants. Said and done: when he arrived, I greeted him wearing a skirt. I think greeting him on underwear wouldn't have surprised him as much as the skirt did :P His encouragement and the extra confidence granted by knowing that my 6', 220lb friend would be my "bodyguard" was the final push I needed to shatter the irrational fear. Oh, and I brought my camera, so here is a shoot (click the thumbnail for a larger view, courtesy of my 20 megapixel camera):

th_DSC00540.jpg

That was fun. Actually, it was exhilarating! Especially upon noticing that I turned a few heads ^_^

It was so fun, in fact, that next day (that's yesterday) we went for round 2 :D

th_DSC00582.jpg

Now, the next step is going out on my own, and I'm still a bit nervous about that, but I'll make sure to let you folks know when it happens (because it will happen)

Hugs,

Edu

• Admin

You look great, hon! Nice, appropriately casual outfits. Your build seems somewhat like mine - short and just a little stocky. I do quite well, and I'm sure you will, too. Congrats, and best wishes for many more fun outings.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Thanks for the nice comments ^_^

Your build seems somewhat like mine - short and just a little stocky.

My build (or, more accurately, my belly, which is somewhat concealed on the pictures) can be reliably tracked to a diet consisting about 80% on pre-cooked meals for microwave from the supermarket across the street... and the other 20% is stuff from the same supermarket that doesn't even require microwaving :/ TBH, I have gained 6kg (about 13lb) over the last six months and I'm trying to improve my unhealthily lazy eating habits to get rid of them. But I live in the country of chorizo and jamón serrano, so it's quite a challenge. Let's see if by the next time I share some pics I've got a healthier figure.

Guest Clair Dufour

I think you look very good with a skirt. A few thoughts to make you look better. White tight tee shirts don't work if you don't have a waist. I know, I have both! Increasing bust, hip and butt padding helps get the proportions better. Black works but, is much too somber. I love the muli-colored, frilly outfits gitanas and flamencistas like to wear but, I don't know it that is common street wear there. I do know it hides a lot. I prefer your hair pulled back as on your avatar. It fits with the female poder (power) that many Spanish women like to present. In a safe LGBT space, letting down your hair and combing it forward is always an option.

• Forum Moderator

You look great. Soon you may find yourself in skirts more than pants. I have grown to love them and wear pants only when necessary for certain jobs where my legs need additional protection.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Very nice indeed Edu, you look great !

Skirts are so comfy and practical

Hugs

Cyndi -

I want the pink top.<giggle>

That's not difficult to get: http://ilovesciencestore.com/100-stardust-women-s-t-shirt.html

I tried to attach some chorizo, but it doesn't fit through my USB port, sorry :P

White tight tee shirts don't work if you don't have a waist.

I'll keep that in mind... but probably keep wearing that tee: wearing a Carl Sagan quote trumps looking good for me :D Anyway, I expect my waist to get a nicer shape over time as I improve my eating habits.

Black works but, is much too somber.

I have one this:

smart_is_sexy_black_womens_tshirt.jpg_co

But wearing black during Spain's summer ain't smart :wacko:

I love the muli-colored, frilly outfits gitanas and flamencistas like to wear but, I don't know it that is common street wear there.

Maybe in southern Spain, but definitely not in Catalunya. That would draw too much attention.

I prefer your hair pulled back as on your avatar.

I wear a ponytail most of the time. I have to, the hair getting over my face is quite inconvenient, especially at work. That's why I let it loose as often as I can.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Hugs,

Edu

Guest Clair Dufour

LOL! Thanks for the great reply. That you are in Catalan makes things clearer to me. You have a great female look that you can make even better as you said you want to do. Major cities like Barcalona have safe places for LGBT people. Look aroumd, ask questions and see what fits you. You don't even have to dress as a girl. most of us know a sister when we see one. Making friends who think like we do makes our goals easier and faster to reach.

Guest KerryUK

Edu, I thought 'wow, she can really wear a short skirt and that's the first time too'. It took me a long time to build up courage to wear a skirt outside too. Even now, my skirts are not as short as you were wearing so you gave me encouragement that I too can do it. Good for you.

LOL! Thanks for the great reply. That you are in Catalan makes things clearer to me. You have a great female look that you can make even better as you said you want to do. Major cities like Barcalona have safe places for LGBT people. Look aroumd, ask questions and see what fits you. You don't even have to dress as a girl. most of us know a sister when we see one. Making friends who think like we do makes our goals easier and faster to reach.

I grew up in Barcelona and I must say that while there are some safe places and areas, there are also some very unsafe ones. OTOH, both the town where I lived most of my teenage years and the small city where I live now are quite safe as a whole.

But most often the biggest difference on safety comes from being among trustworthy friends (and I'm really lucky on that regard) :D

Edu, I thought 'wow, she can really wear a short skirt and that's the first time too'. It took me a long time to build up courage to wear a skirt outside too. Even now, my skirts are not as short as you were wearing so you gave me encouragement that I too can do it. Good for you.

Thanks for the kind words :)

I must say that the Spanish summer is quite an encouragement to wear anything short. If I were to wear something long on this weather I'd be cooked inside it within few minutes. I really don't know how so many women wear short skirts in winter: whenever I see that it makes me shiver.

Now, the next step is going out on my own, and I'm still a bit nervous about that, but I'll make sure to let you folks know when it happens (because it will happen)

Well, this might be happening soon enough: tomorrow I'll be meeting a friend at his home, I gotta get there on my own, and I'll be wearing the skirt I just bought today :P It's just a 2 minute walk to the station, a 20 minute train ride, and a 5 minute walk to my friend's home, but it's a start. I'll make sure to bring my camera as well ;)

Said and done! :D This is a shot of what I was weraing on Saturday:

th_DSC00636.jpg

Of course, I wasn't "on my own" anymore by the time this pic was taken. I don't like selfies :P

Soon you may find yourself in skirts more than pants.

Well... that might happen really soon :P Aside from work, where I try to "test the waters" in one way or another before each significant change, the rest of the day I'm wearing them enough to realize that I need to expand my wardrobe (gotta way 'till next month's pay before any further purchases, however :( )
  • Forum Moderator

Edu i'm glad you are more able to express yourself and even happier that you have a friend to photograph your joy. Swing high but remember to keep your legs together like a big girl.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest Clair Dufour

Edu: Thanks for the new picture. I looked at your tee shirt and agreed with you that you need to go shopping when you have the money.Well, I decided to start shopping for you. I soon found myself with a huge number of lnks called "Barcalona Street Style". For those that don't know, for the most part, women not show a lot of skin or a lot of curves even to the point of hiding them with a shawl, jacket or scarf. Also, makeup is minimal and high heels are rare due to it being a walking town. Looks like good place to pass? Correct me if I am wrong. Back to the fashion. I saw pictures of so many great outfits and looks that it was hard to chose just one, that in my day. I know I could pass with. I don't know what such clothes cost there or if there second hand shops but, it will be interesting to see what you find. Im sure it needs to get cooler to wear good style there.

I looked at your tee shirt and agreed with you that you need to go shopping when you have the money.

Let me clarify something: I got plenty of tees. The only reason I'm wearing that one so often is because it's my favourite. Besides the pink one I have two white, one purple, one black, one gray, and several heavy metal ones (most of them in black and featuring album covers' artwork from my favourite bands). I do need to expand my wardrobe, but the priority is on everything other than tee shirts :P

Well, I decided to start shopping for you. I soon found myself with a huge number of lnks called "Barcalona Street Style". For those that don't know, for the most part, women not show a lot of skin or a lot of curves even to the point of hiding them with a shawl, jacket or scarf. Also, makeup is minimal and high heels are rare due to it being a walking town. Looks like good place to pass? Correct me if I am wrong. Back to the fashion. I saw pictures of so many great outfits and looks that it was hard to chose just one, that in my day. I know I could pass with.

I don't currently live in Barcelona itself, but in a nearby, smaller city. However, I hang out there a lot (many of my friends and family live there), and I lived there for many years. There is one word that summarizes Barcelona quite well, and that word is diversity. It's also a city with a huge volume of tourism and a significant amount of immigration. Although people there are generally welcoming and open-minded, it's a fact that most of us can differentiate between a native, a tourist, and an immigrant within few seconds: there are subtle differences in style and behaviour and, after some years exposed to them, our subconscious minds become very proficient at identifying them. Because of this, while passing is reasonably easy (all it takes is being less obvious than Carmen de Mairena), blending in is somewhat trickier: acting like a native and dressing like a tourist, for example, is a sure way to stand out and draw too much attention (and closer inspection).

To top this, any web search is most likely to yield results aimed at tourists. I know from previous work experience how aggressive SEO can get in the Catalan tourism sector.

I don't know what such clothes cost there or if there second hand shops but, it will be interesting to see what you find. Im sure it needs to get cooler to wear good style there.

I recently found out about this: http://www.humana-spain.org/?lang=en, which not only is reasonably cheap but also ethical and ecological. In fact, the skirt on my last pic was bought at a Humana shop for less than 6 ($7~8), similar items could cost 20 (about $30) or more in more conventional stores.

Anyway, you are right about the weather issue: once it gets cooler, it gets far easier to wear good style, whatever "good style" means: one can simply stack enough layers of clothing to be warm, and then add nice-looking items on top; with the summer heat, however, being "fresh" out weights being stylish or fashionable.

Hugs,

Edu