• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is it true that 25 is the age HRT becomes less effective?

Guest zeroGravira

Guest zeroGravira

I've heard from more than a few sources that 25 is the cut-off date--so to speak--that the potential of hormones takes a dive. This has me extremely worried, I may even go so far as to say neurotic, because I'm going to be starting HRT on the 28th of this month, but I'll be turning 25 next month. Which means I'll only have one month of effective feminization :s

Is this true? Is 25 the cut-off date? Is my worry justified? :/

• Admin

Hon, I'll admit I haven't read a lot of medical literature on the topic, but I am unaware of any "cut-off date." The answer also depends on what you mean by "effective feminization." In my experience observing many transwomen, younger people tend to do quite well, but I have seen women in their 30's and 40's make amazing transformations. The success of some physical changes bears no relation to when HRT is begun. For example, the softening of skin, the lessening of body hair growth, the development of breast tissue, and other changes, seem just as pronounced in middle aged transwomen as it is in young people. The only change that might have a noticeable differential by age group is the reallocation of body fat, which would allow for more changes to facial features. However, even that is highly dependent on the individual.

I want to be clear on something, a fact that is not discussed a lot; when I talk about transformations, I am not implying that the entire range of physical changes that are possible are due to HRT alone. The transformations that you may see in Youtube videos, for example, are due to many things taking place simultaneously. They include facial hair removal, eyebrow shaping, the application of makeup, weight reduction, exercise, etc. It involves an entire package of things, none of which is more important than another. Hormones and T-blockers (for transwomen) are not magic, and they take time to work; often several years.

I am sorry for the wall of text, but your question is important and requires more than a yes or no answer. I hope I have given you so food for thought, hon. Have no fear, your carriage won't be turning into a pumpkin tomorrow night at midnight. :)

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Megan_Lynn

Wow that is so not true at all. Was 38 when I started HRT and its done wonders for me. Went form looking like ruff and tough dude to a woman with soft skin and D cups. With HRT it can be anywhere from amazing results to great results to some to little just depends on the person way more then the age.While yes its true the younger you are the better results one can expect. But there is not set time it will magically stop working. Most of us old girl would have loved to have started HRt as early as you will.

Guest sydney

This cut-off date thing is not true at all. Generally speaking the younger the better. However I've seen transwomen who started at 19 that just seem to never be able to pass as well as a transwomen who started at HRT at 50 years old. The one thing that does make a difference on age for some transwomen (especially if they smoke) is one voice. For MAAB individuals, the vocal cords typically change again in the mid to late 40's to even deeper levels on testosterone. HRT seems to help prevent this according to a speech therapists I know.

I want to be clear on something, a fact that is not discussed a lot; when I talk about transformations, I am not implying that the entire range of physical changes that are possible are due to HRT alone. The transformations that you may see in Youtube videos, for example, are due to many things taking place simultaneously. They include facial hair removal, eyebrow shaping, the application of makeup, weight reduction, exercise, etc. It involves an entire package of things, none of which is more important than another. Hormones and T-blockers (for transwomen) are not magic, and they take time to work; often several years.

I can't agree with this more. I have said as much when it comes to the "look at what hormones have done" and not only is it just hormones, but many other aspects of presentation. Hair style, grooming, eyebrows, makeup (if MTF). These things all play a big role. Hormones are often a minimal aspect of that in my opinion.

Unfortunately tho, not being on hormones verses on hormones, and then how long one has been on hormones all too often, at least with MTF, becomes some sort of ranking game and time on hormones gets attached to such pics and videos...or maybe it is just because starting hormones is such an event that it all gets tied to hormones.

• Admin

I think that 25 year old thing is a whole mountain of prunes, wrinkles and all. I began my HRT at 61 and am doing just absolutely fine as far as my looks and development, physically and mentally have made me. I am as happy as if I had good sense. The only thing the 25 age does is give you 60 or 70 years of potential to enjoy the HRT opposed to my 20 to 30 years. It is also possible that you have a longer period to regret your abuse of them if you do not follow your doctor's prescription levels of them.

As Drea has said, some people think that they get status marks for having been in some record book for how early they began their hormones. The "mones" all by themselves, just like even SRS, do not guarantee a perfect life, they may take one small load off your plate, but believe me, something will be heaped on it to take that one item's place. You will need a hefty prescription of good character and being a caring and productive person AFTER you get the the "mones" to make you a complete and worthwhile person to all whom you know. The difference between the two of us and my "super late" start is that I got the character and the honor before I had the meds.

Guest zeroGravira

The only change that might have a noticeable differential by age group is the reallocation of body fat, which would allow for more changes to facial features

Crap...if this is true I'm in some serious trouble... :/

do you have a link or anything to where you found this out?

• Admin

The only change that might have a noticeable differential by age group is the reallocation of body fat, which would allow for more changes to facial features

Crap...if this is true I'm in some serious trouble... :/

do you have a link or anything to where you found this out?

*sigh* Hon, you left out the rest of what I said there: "However, even that is highly dependent on the individual." What I did not say is that there is some cutoff date. I was talking in general terms.

No, I can't cite chapter and verse, it is just information I have in my memory banks from things I've seen or read. You are not "in serious trouble," but I can't make you believe that if you choose not to. I'll say it more more time - there is no cutoff date, and you don't need to start hormones at 18 to have a chance at being pretty. You also might remember that not every non-trans woman looks like a fashion catalog model, and most seem to get by quite well.

One last thought here, if "passing well" is on your mind. I am no spring chicken, and I started hormones at the age of 56. Would you like to know how many times someone has told me they noticed I am trans? Zero times. Would you like to know how many times I've been complimented on my looks, or been flirted with, or been told that I couldn't possibly be 60? More times than I can count. I hope that helps, even if just a little.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Dear Gravira,

Chill, please! Calendar years may be thrown away. It is different for everyone. Have your individual transition and don't look back!

Make the most of the opportunity for yourself. All of us develop in our own way, and it's a joy to do it, age 15 or 70.

You'll be fine,

Love, Megan

• Admin

Go into the galleries of those of us who have admitted to being over 29, and see for yourself what we look like. I have never had anyone run away from me, or attack dogs turn to stone by looking at me. I get compliments on how I look, even when I know I do not look my best. Carolyn and I are IRL friends, and I have been some places with her when we got the more approving looks than the young Trans* Chicks did. There is a damn good reason I look like a 50 year old woman, the reason is that I am 66 years old. I can look sexy and cute for my age and its a blast. As Megan said, take your PRESCRIBED MEDS with happiness, and CHILL.

Guest Sarah Faith

I've heard from more than a few sources that 25 is the cut-off date--so to speak--that the potential of hormones takes a dive. This has me extremely worried, I may even go so far as to say neurotic, because I'm going to be starting HRT on the 28th of this month, but I'll be turning 25 next month. Which means I'll only have one month of effective feminization :s

I remember being in exactly the same spot as you with the exact same fears from reading probably many of the same BS articles online. When I first joined this forum I was 24 and just starting to push to transition.. My fears were exactly the same.. I mean I was 24 almost 25, and from everything I had heard HRT wouldn't be as effective if I had done it at 18 when I wanted. Truth be told the whole HRT timeline of 25 being half as effective as 18 and 30 basically being the end is a load of crap.

I know many transwomen who transitioned hormonally at 24-34 and turned out just fine, including my self. Hormones have less to do with age and just more to do with what is already there to work with, so if a person is 7 feet tall HRT will certainly not make them shorter. What it will help with is developing secondary sexual features like breasts, skin texture, and fat distribution. HRT Isn't going to redistribute the fat, that will require fluctuations in weight, such as losing weight to burn fat from predominantly male areas, and gaining a bit of weight to place new fat deposits in female appropriate areas.

I personally was not actually able to start HRT until I was 28, and all of my fears proved to be hollow HRT worked just fine for me. I would say its far more likely you will have positive results than not.

• Forum Moderator

I have to agree those articles are simply BS. I'm glad i never found them or i'd still be living with testosterone at 66. Instead almost 3 years ago i started on a journey. My body has changed a great deal but more importantly i feel right with myself. Sure it is a better view when i look down but i also have a kind of peace i never had before. I look at the world in a different, and for me, correct way. Breasts and shape vary as much between us as they do in the cis population but the change in motivators is seemingly more universal. You will be fine at 25.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest LizMarie

Age is far less an issue than just your own genetics. If you're going on HRT, let it do it's thing, but listen to what Carolyn also said. Hit all those bullet points!

• Facial hair removal
  • Voice training
  • Styling and growing out your hair (or wigs if needed)
  • Learn to use makeup
  • Shape those eyebrows!
  • Control your weight
  • Learn to express yourself as a woman (voice, mannerisms, socialization, etc)

There's even more but get started on those and you will be fine.

Guest KerryUK

No it isn't. It's no different to a girl who just starts puberty not knowing what the hormones will do to her. She starts on her 'journey' and gets on with whatever the hormones bring her. Of course, the longer you leave starting on HRT - your skeletal features will develop towards your born gender and your voice will develop more and more towards that gender too. If you need to start on HRT, do so under medical supervision - the risk of complications or worse are very real and not to be trifled with.

Guest Jamie61

I certainly hope it's not true as I hope to someday start HRT in my 50s. I pray it's not true. I also wanted this when I was young, but it seemed impossible back them. Is there any kind of software which can help demonstrated how you might transition? A photo enhancement software program or something? I am focusing on developing my female voice, which I think will be key to living my real gender.

Jamie