• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Woman On Hunger Strike Over Court's Failure to Uphold Visitation Rights

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I have seen this on a couple of other web sites, and have some serious fantasies about putting some bottle rockets under the chairs of the judges to give them a boost into orbit on this one. I do not however see where the hunger strike will have much impact on this and could endanger her visitation rights. If she will endanger herself, who next?

Guest Squallsong

Hunger strike does not necessarily mean endangering herself. It's a tactic used to demonstrate one's suffering and powerlessness, while shaming those responsible for their oppression. The statement they are making is "you have taken my reason to live, so you can watch me die". Certainly the Boston courts do not want to make a martyr. I don't doubt she'll get some results...and I hope she does!

Ghandi, used the hunger strike regularly, as has César Chávez. Prisoners and minority groups often do this too. There's a woman in India (Irom Shamila?) that was first arrested in 2000? for her hunger strike (attempted suicide) and held for a year, being forced to take food through intubation, released (as per Indian law) and then rearrested...lather rinse repeat...she was still on her hunger strike, last I heard in 2013.

Take care and be well!

• Forum Moderator

I wish the article had some additional information. How if she has visitation rights given by the courts is it being denied by her X? If i am reading the article correctly it seems more like a need to have the courts decision enforced. I am also somewhat amused by the add for her accounting firm at the bottom of the article. It seems a hunger strike not only brings publicity about her custody dispute.

I'm sorry if i'm misreading the situation because of this article alone and i do hope she will be able to see her child but it seems odd somehow. She has a court order and if the court doesn't enforce it a higher court should.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest KimberlyF

This is a site that is "Get Big Publicity with a PRWeb Press Release

A PRWeb press release can help your business or organization get reach and publicity on the web across search engines, blogs, and websites in just a few simple steps. "

On the side is a phone number to the accounting firm where this individual works and at the bottom of the page is an ad from the company.

Now I'm not saying this isn't happening, but these were big red flags in my sceptic brain, cause if. I'm going w/out food, I'm not thinking of work. So I checked the public records at Masscourts.org and couldn't find a Probate and Family Trial Court of Norfolk County-Massachusetts (Case Number: 11D-0275-DR). And, more shockingly, that is NOT how Mass seems to format their case numbers.

• Forum Moderator

Maybe she is simply on a diet combined with and caused by a hunger for publicity. I have to reserve judgement but it seems a bit suspicious unless there is additional information about her case elsewhere.

I would actually prefer a made up story to one that shows such discrimination.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

You would have made a good detective, Kimberly. :thumbsup:

Carolyn Marie

It can be a serious struggle for those who have been denied visitation to their children for most reasons. I have a friend who fought for years with the courts to visit and have at least partial custody of his children and he is as straight as they come. It ended up she was the one with mental issues and now he has at least split custody with his boys.

But going on a hunger strike does not seem a logical way to go for this as it may give the court more reason to deny visits because it may make him look mentally unbalanced. Thanks for the heads up about the site Kimberly.

Mia

Guest Squallsong

Kimberly's got a sharp eye... A quick google search shows some less than spectacular results as well, but I won't comment on that...we all have a past, and people can change.

I've no idea what format is used for case files outside of Ontario (##-###X here...## is year, ### is file number and X is version). I've actually been before a family court judge, with my gender issues bared to all...in a light that was intended to make me appear as the vilest creature to ever exist (a whole 'nother story in and of itself), so this article hit home hard (and not in a good way), and I was quite eager to believe this woman's story in it's entirety. I don't doubt that there could be prejudice on the part of the courts, and this lady's ex has unquestionably made transgenderism a parenting issue (which is wrong in any light). But with some digging, I have to wonder if there might not be some legitimate concerns which are not mentioned in this obviously self-published article. At least there's some links which shed some light on the subject, so that's helpful in educating people.

Still, I would really like to see what becomes of this. If judges refuse to issue an enforcement of a court order because an ex claims transgenderism is detrimental to the child, or a transgender individual is an unsuitable influence upon their own child, the ex needs education and penalization, and the judges need to be prosecuted for failing to uphold the law (the court order) and their appointed office.

Engaging in a hunger strike in predefined opposition to injustice is making a passive statement of protest. It is not being mentally unstable, endangering a child (or anyone else), nor losing control and becoming a dangerously violent menace to society. Women burning their bras aren't pyromaniacs nor arsonists. Environmentalists lying down in front of bulldozers aren't narcoleptic, nor being suicidal. This is no different...we know why she's doing it, and nobody is being harmed against their will.

Take care and be well!

• Admin

If she will endanger herself, who next?

This would be a hysterical assertion of her opposition whether or not there is validity to it. For some reason this person and the situation is "plugged in" to one of my FaceBook groups, and there it is a little cleaner as far as the continuing "score card" goes on it, without the advertising noted in the link above. I too was a party in what are called "dependency court" and in Family Court proceedings myself 25 years ago and know that SLOW is one of the key words to how things go. It is a matter of getting molasses to run up hill in Northern Hemisphere January in many ways.

On the court's side of things, there are two conflicting claims in this case, and the Trans* issue is probably a SINGLE ONE of many in the pleadings there that must be looked at. It will not seem that way to the claimant here in this case, but with my lifelong experience in the court and justice systems, that is how it is. The system itself has been the focus of public outcry here in my area when something was overlooked, improperly documented, and anything else that could go wrong and as a result a child died by intention or neglect. The obverse of that was where the placement of children was in what some people thought were inappropriate conditions, where the children have flourished in physical and mental health (but then were no longer news!!).

It is my heartfelt hope that we can find a time where Trans* in and of itself is not a Trial issue for the courts or legal community any more than is right or left handedness or eye color, but in any of these cases there are MANY people involved, and yes, justice is a matter of whose Ox has been gored.