• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Transfolk Provide Clues to Workplace Gender Issues

Carolyn Marie

I perceived the differences before I was 20 years old. It was certainly long before I came out as a transwoman. Even as a male I felt that I was thought of as not intelligent. Over the years I have proven otherwise. I have seen women outperform men and yet be passed over for a promotion.
Guest LizMarie

I have three different transwomen friends who have all experienced very similar situations that demonstrate this. All three interacted with bank loan officers in the past as male and were treated one way. All three ended up interacting with the exact same loan officer (three different banks and three different loan officers, just the same in regards to each person each time) who did not realize they were the same person, and they were interrupted, talked down to, and generally with less respect than when they presented male.

And then there are all the transwomen who were fired after coming out as trans. Suddenly they were failing at a job they'd done for months or years in a competent or even excellent manner up to that point?

A very good article.

• Forum Moderator

I have been at a gallery discussing my own work with a man when another man entered the conversation. Within a few moments they were discussing the work between themselves obviously knowing more about it than i did. They also seed to be competing a bit to show off a bit for the dumb female beside them. Male privilege is real and a real pain in the backside. One dear FTM friend couldn't believe i would give up my elevated male position. I must admit to being a feminist, always have been, but maybe more militant now. It is interesting that our experiences are being looked at now. Hope it helps.

Hugs,

Charlize