• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hey

Guest KayC1

Hey........KC here. I live in the fine state of New Hampshire. Okay 8 months are fine, the other 4 I start pondering a snowbird environment. I am 60 years old and a retired govt worker. Last year I married the best darn woman around, who is an RN by trade.

We now run a small country convenience store that provides us with plenty of stories and is an integral part of the downtown community.

We have a small farm which is home to 3 horses, 2 sheep, 1 goat, 6 dogs (all terriers so they really only equal one big dog), 4 guinea fowl, 1 chicken and 2 cats. I have lived most of my life in what I would call the male tense only without the hormones. Yesterday, September 17, 2014, I chose to align myself more fully. I had my first T shot, given to me by my loving and supportive wife, under the watchful eye of my physician. I look forward to this journey, meeting new community and becoming my true self. Regards to all, KC

• Forum Moderator

Hi KC

Welcome to the forums. Your life sounds delightful - we have a companion rich household as well. We have an acreage about 5 miles in the country but on a highway so it is not as rural as I'd actually prefer. But our property adjoins a national forest where I hike daily.

My first T shot was when I was 63. It has been the best 3 1/2 years of my life. I hope your experience is as good. And you are the first trans man transitioning near my age that I have found. So glad to have you here.

Please feel free to post as much as you like and in any forum-except starting threads in the teen forum. And ask any questions you have as well as sharing experiences. We are happy to answer and share as well.

Johnny

Johnny.....again thank you for your warm welcome. I look forward to having a trans man I can consult with concerning my transition, rural living and aging. You're well spoken and eloquent in your posts so I always look forward to your writings. Although I robbed the cradle, my wife is 10 and for three months 11 years younger than me, no worry about the teen forums. I have to interact with them in my store on a daily basis and I am sure I am considered a bit of a curmudgeon..."Hey you in the candy aisle, go kiss your girl at home, this is a public place!", "Dude, obnoxious burping like that is not an exceptable form of expression here, now say excuse me.", "Girls, one at a time in the bathroom!", and "Yo, pull your darn pants up, I have no interest in seeing your drawers!". They are an alien group to me, so you won't see me in those forums. Best Regards, KC

• Root Admin

Hello KC,

Welcome to Laura's Playground. That sure is an interesting life that you lead. :)

MaryEllen

Hey MaryEllen and Gennee.........Yep, we have a very busy life! Although we hire help at the store, we close it at night (11:00 PM) . The livestock has to be grained and put to bed also. We could be living a much easier, carefree life but I believe what we are doing is an honor. Thank you so much for your well wishes, it means a lot to me and my wife.

Guest ashleynikole

Welcome to Laura's KC.

You've got your hands full and I suspect Charlize and you will have something in common both living on farms.

Hope you find all you're looking for here and good luck with YOUR journey.

God bless

Ashley

• Admin

Welcome to the Playground, KayC. I, too, am of the same generation as you, and also a retired (local) government employee. I hope you contribute much to these forums, and I welcome your questions, too. But you'll need to ask one of the guys most questions about male transition. I've learned a lot through osmosis, but a little knowledge can be dangerous. :)

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Hi KC and welcome aboard. Have a seat here have a cup of coffee and enjoy yourself. Being on the forums here is like opening up a good book, you just never know what the characters might be thinking and or saying. We have an intellegent group of ladies and gentlemen here from all walks of life and all ages. Yes, there are some older folks here like my brother Johnny.

Speaking of Johnnym he is one of the very best extremely well versed in many subjects. He and I are the same age. I have watched him grow since first opening the door and sliding through the virtual door. There are slso many others that I have watched grow over the years. And, now I guess I'll sit back and watch you grow. Who knows may be we'll become the 3 Mousekateers.

So, how are you feeling after your first T shot. Grand, on top of the hill maybe a little more randy andy than before. Oh yeah, that is a big part of T, Usually a very much increased sex drive.

Having run our business for the past 23 yrs on the road. I can get with your observations of the youth. I detest a boy who disrespects his girl friend by running his hands all over her in public. Also, boys, whose pants hang beyond their sag.lol

Once again, welcome aboard.

Mike

ashleynikole, Carolyn Marie and Bulldog 1948, Thank you all for your warm and welcoming words. From physical changes and social interactions, to legal and medical questions, I know you all will offer sage advice. Yes ashleynikole, we are quite busy between our mini-farm and store. Seems like there is always something needing done. Carolyn Marie, how can you beat government service! Besides the satisfaction of my work, I ended up with a great pension and am blessed to have excellent health insurance coverage, even in my retirement. I am sure your osmosis logic will provide me with a wealth of information. Bulldog, After running a convenience store for seven years, believe me I know characters! I have duly noted the intelligent and thoughtful writings of this community during my short stay and look forward to the friendships I see on the horizon. It sounds like you have been on this path for quite awhile so I know you'll have some sound advice for me. As for changes, I haven't noticed much of anything except for the start of a breakout on my face. Ahhhh adolescence, so I will dig out the ProActive and start adding that to my routine. Best Regards, KC

• Forum Moderator

Hey KC,

Yes, I've been on this road for many years. I came out as gay in the late 60s, then when I found transsexualism I knew that I was a ftm TS. But, there weren't any drs around here that knew the first thing about it. So, I did a lot of reading and actual correspondance with other ftms [ no putors and email back then]. Then a buddy of mine underwent his SRS in the mid 80s; the complete package. The surgeons did a pretty good job. He had in done in VA and for the life of me I can't remember the drs name, but they skinned his right srm to make his penis and then connected it all through microsurgery. My other buddy had had the suitcase model done a few years earlier.

I am very lucky, I didn't have much of a zit problem, yay............. But, it did increase my sex drive, my wife loved that. Some dudes will say that T made them over aggressive. I don't know about that. I would just say that you become more male assertive in your thinking and handling of situations.

I got T shots in 1991 and have been off and on since then. I have to watch my t levels closey because I am intersexed.

Oh Happy Day when that first whisker appears :score::score:

Hey Mike......What an interesting life! Before the internet it was definitely a lot more work to research matters and get the most current information. I remember many a school night at the library (not that I was a stellar student), pouring through books that probably had wicked dated information. In the long run, the report was nothing more than yesterdays news, times 5 to 10 years. I am guessing 1948 is your birth year, so you have 6 years on me. I followed a pretty similar path but I was slower to realize transitioning was a viable option for me. I had no problem saying I was gay but choked on the L word for years. I didn't identify as female anything. I More often than not, new customers to our store, refer to me as male. It's only our regular customers, who after years of interaction, feel the need to acknowledge me as female. When they close heir transactions with "Goodnight ladies.", it's like nails on a chalkboard. I know they are just trying to be polite but I am more than ready to correct this situation. I do believe as redneck and backwards as this town is, my customers will be respectful to me. Okay, at least to my face. because the store is often referred to as the "lesbian store". With that said, I have yet to have anyone name call me to my face.

Hey Mike......What an interesting life! Before the internet it was definitely a lot more work to research matters and get the most current information. I remember many a school night at the library (not that I was a stellar student), pouring through books that probably had extremely dated information. In the long run, the report was nothing more than yesterdays news, times 5 to 10 years. I am guessing 1948 is your birth year so you have 6 years on me. I followed a pretty similar path but I was about 20 years behind you. I was slower to realize transitioning was a viable option for me. I had no problem saying I was gay but choked on the L word for years. I didn't identify as female anything. It wasn't until recently that it all clicked. Now it all makes sense to me.

An increased sex drive will be something to look forward to. I am sure my wife will be more than happy to tolerate that. Whiskers, well I shave my sideburns and they come in now, even without T. That said, I do find myself rubbing them on the days I haven't shaved and very much enjoying the feeling. I think I will more than likely be a chin rubber when giving anything a serious thought.

So I've noted your love of Boston Terriers. One of my early pictures, say when I was 3, shows me walking with one of my late great grandfather's Boston Terriers. Well, the dogs name was Butch! I often joked that is where I developed my butch affiliation. Hanging out with that dog and always hearing, "Hey Butch, come here!" or "Good Boy Butch!". Geeze, what the heck was a kid to think!

• Forum Moderator

Hey KC,

Hey Mike......What an interesting life! Before the internet it was definitely a lot more work to research matters and get the most current information. I remember many a school night at the library (not that I was a stellar student), pouring through books that probably had wicked dated information. In the long run, the report was nothing more than yesterdays news, times 5 to 10 years. I am guessing 1948 is your birth year, so you have 6 years on me. I followed a pretty similar path but I was slower to realize transitioning was a viable option for me. I had no problem saying I was gay but choked on the L word for years. I didn't identify as female anything. I More often than not, new customers to our store, refer to me as male. It's only our regular customers, who after years of interaction, feel the need to acknowledge me as female. When they close heir transactions with "Goodnight ladies.", it's like nails on a chalkboard. I know they are just trying to be polite but I am more than ready to correct this situation. I do believe as redneck and backwards as this town is, my customers will be respectful to me. Okay, at least to my face. because the store is often referred to as the "lesbian store". With that said, I have yet to have anyone name call me to my face.

Yes, I've led a very interesting life to say the very least. Yes, I was born in 1948, back when the dinosauers still roamed the earth lol.Back when you could send a letter for .02 cents I beleive and a post card for a penny. I'm like you, I could say gay but the L word wouldn't fly and if someone , that I used to know, comes at mme with she or the L word you;d better be prepared to do battle and you are gonna loose.

I have a feeling that when your customers find out that you're transitioning they'll drop the lesbian store crap and you won't have to hear nails raking the chalkboard.

• Forum Moderator

Hey Mike......What an interesting life! Before the internet it was definitely a lot more work to research matters and get the most current information. I remember many a school night at the library (not that I was a stellar student), pouring through books that probably had extremely dated information. In the long run, the report was nothing more than yesterdays news, times 5 to 10 years. I am guessing 1948 is your birth year so you have 6 years on me. I followed a pretty similar path but I was about 20 years behind you. I was slower to realize transitioning was a viable option for me. I had no problem saying I was gay but choked on the L word for years. I didn't identify as female anything. It wasn't until recently that it all clicked. Now it all makes sense to me.

An increased sex drive will be something to look forward to. I am sure my wife will be more than happy to tolerate that. Whiskers, well I shave my sideburns and they come in now, even without T. That said, I do find myself rubbing them on the days I haven't shaved and very much enjoying the feeling. I think I will more than likely be a chin rubber when giving anything a serious thought.

So I've noted your love of Boston Terriers. One of my early pictures, say when I was 3, shows me walking with one of my late great grandfather's Boston Terriers. Well, the dogs name was Butch! I often joked that is where I developed my butch affiliation. Hanging out with that dog and always hearing, "Hey Butch, come here!" or "Good Boy Butch!". Geeze, what the heck was a kid to think!

KC, That's great that you have a head start with your side burns. Some guys whiskers start coming in fairly quick and others take quite a while. Depends upon family genetics. Are the men in you family hairy? I have seen pics of some guys that look like Harry apes. I am not one of them. My dad wasn't a hairy man and neither is my brother or me.

I got a chuckle outta your Butch story. What a great way to use a nickname to your benefit. lol Yes, my wife and I love our Bostons, We have 3 Bostons, a mini poodle and a heinz 57 all indoor babies. Then we have Big Baby our female Rottie, Daisey May our 1/2 Pitt and Buddy our Weimerreiner all oout door dogs. Plus, 1 cat and 6 horses. We live on a farm.

I will be PMing you sometime this weekend, ok,

Hey Mike.......Wow and I thought six pups was a lot. I owned Fisher, a Mini Schnauzer when I met my wife and she was the owner of Sully, a Poodle/Lhasa mix. Over the past five years we have accumulated 4 more pups from customers who couldn't keep their pets for various reasons. First came Cody, who I suspect is a Rat Terrier/Chihuahua mix. Then Bean arrived. One of his parents was a mutt rescue from Puerto Rico and the other a Yorkie mix. I have a picture of him in my album here. Then came Cocoa. She is mainly Yorkie and came from the same man we got Bean from.. He won't get his dogs fixed and there is always a litter he is trying to give away. We've offered to pay for the spaying but he's keeps saying he'll take care of it. We've placed a lot of pups for him and actually Cocoa had gone to friends. When she killed one of their baby turkeys and was suspected of having killed some chickens, they threatened to shoot her. Back she came and yes, she does have bird issues. I've lost some chickens to her also but she wants nothing to do with those guineas, lol. Lastly, came Leena. She's a Lhasa/Bichon mix. An older customer had gotten her as a puppy and she was just to crazy for him. She's starting to settle down and we do hope to place her at some point. I've had a lot of dogs over the years, hounds, retrievers, and shepherds and wasn't sure about going small. I have to say they are a lot of fun. They are spirited, good watch dogs and vermin catching sons of guns. My crew may be little but they are a good and entertaining bunch! I will admit I'd like to add a shepherd to the mix but I don't feel I'd have the time to bond with one right now. That will have to wait until I retire for good.

Oh geeze, SIX horses! Three are more than enough work for us. Again, all are rescues. My wife put an ad on Craigs list: wanted free horse. Dang if we don't have three of them now! We don't have a great pasture set up, so around this time of year it's dicey. I try to keep them in round bales, to occupy their time, but they get out and then go visit two neighbors. One has a giant overgrown lawn that is just ripe for horse mowing and the other has a pasture that is unused by anything other than deer, turkey and bunnies.

Mike, feel free to PM me when you have the time.

Best regards, KC

• Forum Moderator

Hey Mike.......Wow and I thought six pups was a lot. I owned Fisher, a Mini Schnauzer when I met my wife and she was the owner of Sully, a Poodle/Lhasa mix. Over the past five years we have accumulated 4 more pups from customers who couldn't keep their pets for various reasons. First came Cody, who I suspect is a Rat Terrier/Chihuahua mix. Then Bean arrived. One of his parents was a mutt rescue from Puerto Rico and the other a Yorkie mix. I have a picture of him in my album here. Then came Cocoa. She is mainly Yorkie and came from the same man we got Bean from.. He won't get his dogs fixed and there is always a litter he is trying to give away. We've offered to pay for the spaying but he's keeps saying he'll take care of it. We've placed a lot of pups for him and actually Cocoa had gone to friends. When she killed one of their baby turkeys and was suspected of having killed some chickens, they threatened to shoot her. Back she came and yes, she does have bird issues. I've lost some chickens to her also but she wants nothing to do with those guineas, lol. Lastly, came Leena. She's a Lhasa/Bichon mix. An older customer had gotten her as a puppy and she was just to crazy for him. She's starting to settle down and we do hope to place her at some point. I've had a lot of dogs over the years, hounds, retrievers, and shepherds and wasn't sure about going small. I have to say they are a lot of fun. They are spirited, good watch dogs and vermin catching sons of guns. My crew may be little but they are a good and entertaining bunch! I will admit I'd like to add a shepherd to the mix but I don't feel I'd have the time to bond with one right now. That will have to wait until I retire for good.

Oh geeze, SIX horses! Three are more than enough work for us. Again, all are rescues. My wife put an ad on Craigs list: wanted free horse. Dang if we don't have three of them now! We don't have a great pasture set up, so around this time of year it's dicey. I try to keep them in round bales, to occupy their time, but they get out and then go visit two neighbors. One has a giant overgrown lawn that is just ripe for horse mowing and the other has a pasture that is unused by anything other than deer, turkey and bunnies.

Mike, feel free to PM me when you have the time.

Best regards, KC

Hey KC, Sounds like you have a house full of Mighty Mutts- just like ours. They can bark and howl with the best of them. When moma and I leave to go some place and we lock the door behind us, it takes about a minute for them to start barking and howling. And they usually hear anyone that drives up our driveway, good watch dogs.

Back when I was a kid my younger sister and I used to show horses. But over the many years that fell by the wayside, Then a few years ago she decided to recue a couple of horses. Anyway, that ended up in buying two Arabians, who in turn had colts. So, we have 2 full blooded Arabs, 1 1/2 Ararbs, an Appoloosea, a quarter horse and a Paint. Basically their only job is to keep the pasture fields mowed down. But, I know about the hay situation. We usually put up 50 big round bales and will buy more toward spring if needed.

Hey Mike, Guess I missed this reply. One of our rescues (Aisha) is an Arabian. She was left behind at a foreclosure and a neighbor cared for her, out of pocket for about a year. There was quite a herd at this property when it went under but Aisha (who has a spectacular lineage)is over 30, so no one wanted her. It must have been horrible for her to watch her herd go and be left alone there for over a year. When the neighbor woman saw my wife's ad for "wanted free horse", she must have thought it was heaven sent. We went out to take a look and after hearing the story how could we say no. We've given her 3 good years but are a little nervous about the upcoming winter. She has chronic diarrhea and we are having trouble putting weight on her. She gets extra grain and more hay than she has an interest in but still looks skinny as heck. Got any ideas for us?

The other two boys also have there own stories, don't all free horse. Joey, was a fancy prancy dressage horse but developed kissing spines. His owner gave him away to us and now one of our employees claims him as hers. She is looking for a home with her fiancée so at some point he should be leaving the farm. On the bright side, because he is here, she does morning barn chores Saturday through Monday. Then there is Rainy. He's a mutt, who as a colt got his jaw caught in a gate. I have heard from a local vet that his jaw got mangled pretty badly. He went from that owner to another. There he was kept in a small pasture with a couple other horses and he was at the bottom of the herd. They only had a three sided shed for living quarters and he clearly got run off the feed when it was put out. He threw most anyone that got on him and was accident prone (lacerated flank and a huge front facial laceration). That family was moving and said if they couldn't find a home for him they were going to put him down. Heck he was only 9! He was pretty underweight when we got him but now he's fat and happy. He wasn't much of a people horse and now he's gotta be right there at your side when you're outdoors. Now some of that is a carrot search and some of it is because he is just wicked curious. I'm glad they were all rescued but Rainy is definitely my favorite. There job is like yours. Just keep the pasture down and they are good at that. Amazing how quick one can be taken over with brush and trees when nothing is out there to knock it down.

Man, you are so lucky to have field that you can hay. Do you hay it yourself? We've got a big property here but it is mostly wooded, great for the outdoor furnace but not so much for the horses. All our hay is purchased. Cha ching, cha ching!! I hope my truck is fixed by this weekend because I need to get a round bale for these yahoots. They are going for around $50 over here. The grass is almost nonexistent now and they are getting a little too antsy.

Best Regards, KC

• Forum Moderator

Hey Mike, Guess I missed this reply. One of our rescues (Aisha) is an Arabian. She was left behind at a foreclosure and a neighbor cared for her, out of pocket for about a year. There was quite a herd at this property when it went under but Aisha (who has a spectacular lineage)is over 30, so no one wanted her. It must have been horrible for her to watch her herd go and be left alone there for over a year. When the neighbor woman saw my wife's ad for "wanted free horse", she must have thought it was heaven sent. We went out to take a look and after hearing the story how could we say no. We've given her 3 good years but are a little nervous about the upcoming winter. She has chronic diarrhea and we are having trouble putting weight on her. She gets extra grain and more hay than she has an interest in but still looks skinny as heck. Got any ideas for us?You will find that some of the older 25-30+ Arab mares linage is awesome as it dates back into the timeframe of when the Arabians were being established here in the USA. We have 1 old full blooded mare that goes back to El Shake a badi and is crossed with poth Egyptian and Polish blood. We have 2 beautiful colts out of her.Ysaid that she has diaherra real bad. Have you had the vet check her blood and also see if she's full of worms? Should also have the vet check her teeth, maybe she can't chew her food very well, sometimes their teeth have to be filed.

The other two boys also have there own stories, don't all free horse. Joey, was a fancy prancy dressage horse but developed kissing spines. His owner gave him away to us and now one of our employees claims him as hers. She is looking for a home with her fiancée so at some point he should be leaving the farm. On the bright side, because he is here, she does morning barn chores Saturday through Monday. Then there is Rainy. He's a mutt, who as a colt got his jaw caught in a gate. I have heard from a local vet that his jaw got mangled pretty badly. He went from that owner to another. There he was kept in a small pasture with a couple other horses and he was at the bottom of the herd. They only had a three sided shed for living quarters and he clearly got run off the feed when it was put out. He threw most anyone that got on him and was accident prone (lacerated flank and a huge front facial laceration). That family was moving and said if they couldn't find a home for him they were going to put him down. Heck he was only 9! He was pretty underweight when we got him but now he's fat and happy. He wasn't much of a people horse and now he's gotta be right there at your side when you're outdoors. Now some of that is a carrot search and some of it is because he is just wicked curious. I'm glad they were all rescued but Rainy is definitely my favorite. There job is like yours. Just keep the pasture down and they are good at that. Amazing how quick one can be taken over with brush and trees when nothing is out there to knock it down. Mutts sometimes make the best critters. And it sounds like you and Rainey get along just fine. Yep, you would be amazed how fast the junk brush can grow in a years time. Keeping the grass down destroys snake cover [ I hate snakes]

Man, you are so lucky to have field that you can hay. Do you hay it yourself? We've got a big property here but it is mostly wooded, great for the outdoor furnace but not so much for the horses. All our hay is purchased. Cha ching, cha ching!! I hope my truck is fixed by this weekend because I need to get a round bale for these yahoots. They are going for around $50 over here. The grass is almost nonexistent now and they are getting a little too antsy. No, we don't hay it ourselves any more, not physically able. But, back when we were kids we'd put 1,000-1500 square bales up every summer. Now, we have the neighber boy round bale and put it out for us. Up untl 2 years ago I was still getting around. But, the past 1 1/2 years my copd and cad have kicked in pretty hard, I'm on oxy 24/7. Can't wit until I get to feeling better . I know that there's some stuff I will still be unable to do though. Paying $50 a bale is pretty darn high. What type of hay are you feeding?

Best Regards, KC

Guest miss kindheart

Hi KC,
<<< hug >>>
Welcome to Laura's Playground.
Please feel free to come over and chat sometime.
The Chat room does require another registration that is separate from from your forums one.
Please read the chat room rules before coming in, and expect a short interview with one of the chat room moderators.
One of the things that they will ask you is if you read the rules. :)
We all look forward to seeing you.
:wub: vanna

Hey Mike, Sorry I missed your response. We've had the vet out a couple of times now. I'm thinking of trying some sugar beet with her and see if that helps. Maybe all that fiber will stick to her ribs.

Snakes have been a bumper crop this year. I have yet to see a poisonous one around the property but we have plenty around. Between the dogs and horses they don't stand much of a chance if they are spotted. Me, I'm not crazy about them but I can pick them up and move them if need be. It's always that element of surprise that gives me a start.

Holy heck that was a lot of hay! Glad you have a neighbor that is so helpful. The round bales (4x4s) we have right now were $40 each and are first cut. I picked them up at the barn and not in the field so it's about 25 miles from here. He said he'll deliver and I may take him up on that. I think I have room in the barn for about 10 right now if I stack them.

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope things get better for you.

Best Regards, KC

Hey miss kindheart, my sincere apologies for not seeing your reply and responding sooner. I have read the rules and have ventured into chat a few times now. I use KC1 when I go there. Maybe I'll catch you there sometime for a chat. Thank you for the warm welcome. Best Regards, KC