• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Finally enough courage

Guest TuckerDIT

Guest TuckerDIT

It's been awhile since I have been on, but I thought I would pop in. I think I have decided I have finally built up enough courage to go out dressed for the first time. I have a GG friend that said she would go accompany me, I just have to decide what to do! My thought was to go to an unpopular movie on a weekday night and then go home. I'm thinking that because it's a dark place where people go to just sit and watch the movie, then I can get back in the car. Anyone have any input or other thoughts as to where I should go? Thanks everyone!

• Admin

That would not be a bad idea, but go to a movie you would actually like to see. You will do better if you are actually watching the screen and enjoying life, and NOT THINKING about what you are afraid people will see even in the dark. Your going out dressed should make you more comfortable about being in public, not apprehensive or feeling weird. After the first look in the mirror at you completed transformation, the idea is to ignore what you are wearing and just act like you always looked that way. As full time, I don't even remember what I put on, and it feels everyday to me.

It will depend on where you live, but even Texas has some theaters that show Trans* related films. For that matter, check with the nearest TGLB community centers and see if they are sponsoring a film festival or a music event in your area. That would be a fun and safe place to come out for your first "outing" on the town. My other suggestion is simply go to a local mall, the bigger the better, and walk around it during a middle busy time. Go ahead and get a drink (non alcoholic) and a slice of pizza, and just watch people carefully.

• Forum Moderator

Going out with a Cis girlfriend is wonderful. I was lucky and able to do that. One of the first things we did was to see a matinee. As Vicky mentioned i was so busy thinking about how i looked that i can't remember what the movie was about. Going out to lunch, or to a mall for some shopping is also fun. Remember you are the one with the purse. Waiters want a tip and salespeople want a sale whether they read you or not. Most of all do your best to relax. Remember to breath.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

I agree with Vicky, and I applaud you for having the courage to live your dream and do what you want to do. Have a wonderful time, and don't worry about what anyone else is thinking. What's in their heads, if anything, is not your concern.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Clair Dufour

Texas is a big place. In all the big cities and the cool places like Austin, there are many safe areas to go. Yes, there are small towns where LGBT is somewhat underground but, still there if you look. Do your homework and go checkout places in male mode to see if you fit. If you do then go dressed. I spent several weeks in Dallas in the 80's and had a blast dressing. Like I said its a big state and your not alone And even if your on the ranch, your not alone. http://www.igra.com/events/world-gay-rodeo-finals-2014/

Guest ashleynikole

Here's also something you can do (especially if you want to test our words that most of the problems you'll encounter are in your head).

Write down everything you think might happen while you are out. Anything you can think of. Good or bad. Doesn't matter.

Then go out and have a good time.

When you get back, cross off everything on your list that DID NOT happen. See the results of your most wonderful time and learn from the experience that we all are scared for that first time, but really, you may be pleasantly surprised that most people are simply living their life as well and pay little to no attention to us.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

God bless

Ashley

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TuckerDIT

Well, I did it! My first time out dressed up! I just went out with a GG friend and we just walked around a mall a couple towns over. We only got to walk for about 20 minutes since the mall closed pretty early, but it was still enough to get my feet wet! I did notice some people give me a double take or stare, but it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I just need to get a walk down and my hair a little better before I go out again haha!! Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement!! :)

• Admin

Congrats, hon! I'm proud of you, and happy that it turned out well. The next time will be better, you'll be better prepared and more confident.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Alaster to Alice

Well, I did it! My first time out dressed up! I just went out with a GG friend and we just walked a. und a mall a couple towns over. We only got to walk for about 20 minutes since the mall closed pretty early, but it was still enough to get my feet wet! I did notice some people give me a double take or stare, but it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I just need to get a walk down and my hair a little better before I go out again haha!! Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement!! :)

You go girl!! The simple act of doing something is a powerful motivator to other people like me. I still get super nervous while shopping for female clothes :). I am so proud of you and keep up that awesome self esteem and positive attitude.

Hugs,

~Alice

Guest AshleighP

Congratulations! The first time is always a real eye opener. All the advice given here was great. I totally agree that most of the fear we feel is unfounded (though still real). I firmly believe that most of the world is so involved with themselves, they rarely notice what's going on around them.

Ashley, I love the suggestion of writing down what you think will happen and then checking off the things that actually do happen. When you make that list make sure the top item is "have fun", because that's definitely going to happen.

Learning from the experience will be the key to making the next time even more fun. Confidence in who you are will make all the difference.

Guest ashleynikole

Congratulations!!!!

You go get 'em girl!

Just reading your words made me realize how nerve-racking that first time is and how it is SOOO much easier where I'm at. You're just starting a journey to living authentically without fear of others, but you took the first steps and THAT is awesome. Eventually you'll be whizzing around the women's section at your local clothing store, grabbing things to try on and hitting the dressing room like you own the place. I spent all day in full female form (pretty much all I'm doing at this point) and that included dropping kids at school and daycare, hitting a local coffee shop, going to therapy, shopping for new fall/winter clothes, going to my bank (INSIDE the bank), getting a massage, picking up the kids, going to the grocery store and then home (now I know why women are dying to take the bra off first when they get home...lol).

You are going to have SOOO much fun on this journey we call life now that you are beginning to live authentically in your expression. May you be blessed in all that you do, bringing courage and peace to those around you.

God bless

Ashley

• 1 year later...

Great job! That mustve felt great!-Im nowhere near that yet,but I hope to get there eventually.

You are inspirational!

Krystal

• 3 weeks later...

great job i have no courage to go to a place like the mall! that being said, last night was the 1st time i went out dressed in 15yrs and the 1st time ever in daylight! it was to a TG support group so it was a safe first journey and a good experience. scary parts were leaving and arriving home where the neighbors might not be so accepting in our small development.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 105 Guests (See full list)

• VickySGV
    • MAN8791
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • Adrianna Danielle
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Cynthia Slowan
    Newest Member
    Cynthia Slowan

1. Ay-la
      Ay-la
      (51 years old)
    2. Camille
      Camille
      (48 years old)
    3. Dressupdoll
      Dressupdoll
      (57 years old)
    4. iliya
      iliya
      (37 years old)
    5. KaylaH
      KaylaH
      (48 years old)
    • VickySGV
      They have unleashed the hounds toward every less than perfectly, and idealistically feminine Cis woman in the state to be sued for not looking the way a plaintiff thinks they should look. 
    • Vidanjali
      Great videos above. Thanks for sharing. Here's a favorite song.    
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Perfect omelette!!! 😍
    • Sally Stone
      Post 10 “My Feminine Presentation”   I have no illusions about fooling people.  It’s a pretty safe bet that most of the people I meet or interact with recognize I was not born female.  Going “stealth” just isn’t in the cards for me.  Despite this, I am usually recognized and addressed as a woman.       As an example, I recall a past shopping trip to a department store.  After finding a nice purse, I took it the checkout counter.  The store associate took my credit card, rang up my purchase, and when she handed my purchase and credit card back to me, she said: “thank you Miss Stone,” despite the fact that my credit card had my male name on it.  Clearly, she recognized I was presenting as a woman, but when I thought about it, I realized I had made it easy for her to choose the correct gender response.  The way I was dressed, the way my makeup and nails were done, ensured there was no ambiguity regarding my gender.     In fact, I can’t remember the last time somebody mis-gendered me while presenting in my feminine persona.  But that’s because putting such effort into my feminine appearance, I don’t give people much of a chance to be confused.  Occasionally, one of my trans friends will accuse me of being overdressed, and in some situations, they might be right, but in my defense, I feel the need to present in a way that supports the feminine woman inside of me.  I’m a “girly-girl” by nature, and it leads me to be overtly feminine when it comes to the fashions I choose, and why I spend so much on the details of my appearance.  I simply want my appearance to match the way I feel.   Because my girl time is limited, I always want to make the most of it. This is another key factor driving my upscale feminine presentation.  I honestly believe life is too short to wear pants and comfortable shoes.  Things might be different for me if I was living fulltime as a woman instead of only part-time.  I’m sure, for practicality’s sake, I would dress casually more often, but I know I’d still retain my penchant for a more upscale or girly-girl appearance.   Another one of my friends asked me one time if I worried that my appearance caused me to stand out.  She seemed to think it was important for me to blend in and not bring attention to myself.  I may not be typical in this regard, but I don’t actually want to blend in.  I’m proud of the effort I put into my appearance, and I like being noticed for it.  As I stated earlier, I will never be able to achieve true stealth, so for me, it seems wasted effort to try blending in.   I am comfortable with my feminine appearance, and occasional criticisms don’t bother me, but this wasn’t always the case.  For a long time, I thought there was something wrong with me.  Within the transgender community I kept hearing that it is more important to be comfortable and practical.  Dress casually and blend in seemed the general consensus.  Because my views were quite the opposite, I wondered if perhaps I wasn’t trans at all.  Maybe my perceptions regarding feminine appearance came from a completely different place.    The assumption I made was that instead of a “girly” feminine side driving my appearance motivations, maybe the catalyst was more akin to a fetish.  It was a sobering thought, but maybe I was in actuality, a prototypical transvestite?  For the longest time I couldn’t shake this concern, and it caused me to question everything I thought I knew about myself.  But the questioning phase, while difficult, turned out to actually be beneficial.   The first thing I questioned was why we want to blend in when we are trans, and the answer is, we have a legitimate reason for not wanting to stand out.  The second thing I questioned was whether cis women had the same concern about the need to blend in.  I think the answer is no.  In fact, there always seems to be levels of competition among women regarding their appearance, so in many instances they actually seek to stand out from their peers.    The desire to put so much effort into my appearance, while not typical for everyone, seems to be a fairly common female behavior.  Since the female half of my personality exhibits this behavior as well, I cling to the idea that just because I like to stand out doesn’t mean my motivations are fetish driven.  This was a happy epiphany for me, and it turns out the fetish concern and the questioning phase that followed, brought me to a clearer understanding of who I am.  Possessing a better understanding of why I am the way I am makes me comfortable expressing a feminine appearance that leans in a more girly-girl direction.   Ultimately, the way we choose to portray our gender identity is a personal choice.  Each of us has to be comfortable with that choice.  I’m a part-time woman, so consequently, things like GRS, HRT, or feminizing surgery aren’t the right choices for me.  Therefore, I rely on clothing, makeup, and other typically feminine fashion details to ensure I’m recognized as a woman.  I acknowledge that my choice may not be typical but it has proven to be extremely effective.   Hugs,   Sally
    • Mmindy
      I’m not a fan of Starbucks either. I love our little town cafe coffee, anytime of the day. Apple Pie is my go to treat. Today I had a wonderful omelette with my coffee.    Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋    
    • Ivy
      I thought this was interesting.   https://www.thepinknews.com/2024/05/06/trans-history-week/   There is a link to watch it.
    • Mmindy
      I’m on the other side of the imposter syndrome AMAB and on a slowed pace in transition.    Best wishes, stay positive and motivated    Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • Ivy
      https://www.erininthemorning.com/p/mississippi-passes-bill-allowing?r=k5hac&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web   This part could be pretty bad-   "Lastly, it offers a “private right of action” that appears to be targeted at transgender people, allowing cisgender people to sue to prevent transgender people from using bathrooms aligned with their gender identity…"   I can see a potential for bathroom "vigilantes" to use this.  Just paying legal fees to defend yourself can ruin you, regardless of the outcome of the case.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      It's all well and good, but the facts on the street will always be different than what is written on paper. It takes a very long time for an EEOC or OSHA complaint to get attention. For most people, the length of time between filing a complaint and something actually getting done means just finding a different job.
    • FelixThePickleMan
      As a transgender male often I feel as if I'm not viewed as man enough especially around other biological males. I often also feel as if I'm not enough in general not good enough to have the things that I have because I ruin everything and I feel like a phony when trying to pass. I look in the mirror and my outside appearance doesn't match the way I want to look and appear and my mom prevents me from reaching my maximum male potential and around my mom I'm always mis-genderd and she tells me that Im not a man and never will be one which plays into me feeling not man enough because I feel like I never will me the man I know I am. I don't know what to do with these feelings and thoughts.
    • Mirrabooka
      I was really lucky when I gave up smoking. I just decided one morning that I just didn't want to smoke anymore. That was back in 1996. The silly thing was, I still had a couple of packets left I and used them up! After that I only 'borrowed' less than a handful in the months after that and I haven't missed them since.      
    • Mirrabooka
      Have I reached the tipping point?
    • Mirrabooka
      Maddee, you have a million friends.    
    • Mirrabooka
      Our Maltese daughter-in-law makes a very mean Bolognese sauce, which we combine with spiral pasta. We pulled some leftovers out of the freezer for tonight's meal.   Tomorrow night will be chicken Kiev, with potato segments baked in the same dish, accompanied with boiled peas and broccolini.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I suspect some of these people are not primarily LGBTQ+ but primarily get their kicks by publicly shocking other people.  They take advantage of the parade and think they can get away with it year after year, and sometimes do.  Not just the parade, but sometimes other events that provide cover for them to act this way. They do a great deal of damage to perceptions by the public and by the legislators against us.  

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.