• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Will the way I talk change on hormones?

Guest Ashlyn M

Guest Ashlyn M

I was on a website reading about the effects and I came across this: Voice is UNCHANGED by hormone therapy. However, inflection and manner of speech are very well suited to change. What does that mean? Does that mean that how I talk will change? I don't know how to explain what I'm asking. I guess just, what does it mean when it says inflection and manner of speech are very well suited to change.

Guest ashleynikole

I personally am not aware of any inflection and manner of speech changes by hormones alone. I suppose the mind could allow synaptic connections to be active that weren't active before because of estrogen, but I'm not aware of any reliable data that says this will happen.

I am inclined to believe that some people stop suppressing their natural mannerisms while others work on it by observing women and practicing those things. FWIW...just be yourself and go with it. There are so many shades of women that you will likely fit in just fine when you land. The fact that you're only 15, you're going to be fine, but feel free to observe and work on the things you can.

God bless

Ashley

• Admin

Pinkie, everything having to do with voice for MtF transsexuals is going to require practice, and lots of it. That goes for tone, inflection, pitch, resonance, and even the choice of words and phrases. It isn't as complicated as it sounds, and a lot of it will come naturally, but it will take time and effort. But Ashley is right - you don't have to have a "perfect" female voice to pass, since female voices come in all shades.

There are plenty of helpful videos on Youtube, as well as commercially available DVD's and CD's. So start now, if you can, and best of luck.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Ashlyn M

If I start now though, I may have a different sounding voice before school is out and that wouldn't be good. I'd probably get made fun of.

• Admin

If I start now though, I may have a different sounding voice before school is out and that wouldn't be good. I'd probably get made fun of.

I think its pretty easy to "turn it on and off" when you need to do so.

Carolyn Marie

Guest LizMarie

Voice change due to hormones can occur. It's just exceptionally rare. I'm experiencing it. I even had my ENT look at my throat. My "old" voice range tended to hover in the 135-155 Hz range (upper male, given that male ranges from about 75 Hz to 150 Hz). Now, I can't even hit 150 anymore even if I try. My voice is now firmly in the 160-210 range (normal female is 170-230) and mostly in the 170-190 range (low female).

About three months ago I stopped getting misgendered on the phone. When there's a call for "him" people often don't believe it when I would say that was me. Thankfully with legal name change done I can now truthfully say that "he" isn't here anymore. :P

So it's not that it can't happen. It can but it is very rare and when it occurs, as I discovered, you have no control over where it's going to go until it begins to settle down.

Guest Lauren_Elizabeth

Please note: I read only the original post before submitting this post, so it will have nothing to do with secondary posts.

Now, I am not by any means an endochrinologist, but I do have a fairly good understanding of both pharmacology and effects of estrogens on the body mostly from my own research which includes Mosby's Drug Consult. In any event, from my understanding, estrogens have a moderate effect on synaptic pathway development that lessens as the age of the patient increases. Therefore, it stands to reason that it could also affect the way existing synapses fire in different parts of the brain (i.e. speech center, hearing, logic, and comprehension). If it does indeed have that effect, then following the same line of logic brings you to the conclusion that it is indeed possible for estrogens to affect non-physical attributes of speech like the aforementioned inflection and speech mannerisms. It could also potentially affect other aspects as well like vocabulary, grammar, and lilt (meaning the rise and fall of volume and pitch during speech; personally I don't classify that with inflection). Now, as I said, the effect lessens with age because past the mid-twenties the body is no longer set on "FULL SPEED AHEAD" development, and also other factors can come into play as well, such as a persons physiological acceptance or resistance to the estrogens, absorbtion rate, and dose, of course.

Hope this helped out a bit!

Lauren <3

Guest mikacha

I will give you an opinion based on my own experience with hormones and my voice. Yes, literary sources will tell you that the voice remains unchanged by hormonal therapy but you do have to understand that each person reacts differently to hormones. Personally, my voice has changed ever so slightly, there are certain lower pitches that i can no longer hit that once upon a time i was able to achieve without any issue what so ever. At the time of posting this i have experimented a little with my voice to see exactly what i can and can't achieve. If i drop my female voice and speak in my old voice, it sounds lighter yet still predominantly male, i can not go as deep as i used to be able to, trust me i just tried my voice breaks. Some sources do say the opposite though that whilst pitch and tone are not affected...the voice may become softer. I think a great deal is still debated regarding the trans transition and there is a lot of conflicting information on the internet. But, like i said earlier, hormones affect us all differently. I am 15 months on hormones and have size B breasts, birthing hips <.<, super smooth skin and have been fortunate to experience the more uncommon side effects of hormones where my hips have rotated slightly, not widened that is impossible, but rotated. Which yes gives me a more feminine natural walk but sadly can be sore after a while.

• Forum Moderator

I can say the way I talk has definately changed. At about the one year mark of HRT my voice was noticably softer, a neighbor I've known for well over a decade mentioned this to me (still presenting as him back then), he asked at a gathering "why do you speak so softly ?", he was on to me by then. Now at 3 + years, I can say my language construction is different from before, my avg pitch higher, I speak at a slightly slower word rate, enunciate differently, and I am ma'am'ed on the phone all the time. For me I believe HRT has been a tool(addition) in my transitiion of my overall voice work, but not with the pitch, pitch variance, or resonance, those items have taken physical training to modulate into a feminine voice. I agree new connections are formed after treatment begins, it has certainly helped me.

Cyndi -

The easiest way to understand it is to simply observe conversations between two people of the same gender. Men and Women speak differently beyond pitch. There's a lot of resources about this and they're pretty easy to find. Heartcorps and Deep Stealth have few things to help you get an idea of how things string together.

Manner of speech - Can be different things. One example is that a feminine manner of speech is more descriptive than masculine speech.

Is it a great day or a wonderful day? Is the dress red or cranberry/scarlet/fuchsia/burgundy?

Inflection is a part of the whole presentation. Even when speaking in your regular voice, you inflect your voice up and down to convey things. Say the word "Really". Now say it as if you are surprised. And try it again as if you are skeptical. You should have heard 3 different pitches off the one word. Now when it comes to speech patterns, you will notice that sometimes inflection can bounce from word to word and even entire parts of sentences.

While the resources online will catalog stereotypical things about "feminine" speech and give you things to think about and practice... remember, stereotypes are just that. Not every woman speaks the same way so find a manner of speaking in which you will feel comfortable.

Hope that helps. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Berry Picker

My vocal cords have softened and my Psychiatrist said that it would occur. Since I am 18 apparently HRT was able to back track on a few of the advances from a male puberty. Being 15 the effects maybe greater on you.

-

Love,

Kathleen

Guest Clair Dufour

This is the reason I mentioned finding the drama club. Taking speech and music too even better. Your still young enough to train your voice. When I was in HS we would do Shakespear with all male or female cast playing the rolls. It was surprising how well some could do it. Same with music. Listen to 50's and 60's bands. In opera some males sing womens and castradi parts. Listen to how classmates talk. Some sound like the opposite gender if you close your eyes. Some may even get bullied for it. Much of voice is social. Boys who live with just their mom and a bunch of sisters speak with much softer inflection, level and at a higher pitch in order to fit in. In school many boys do the opposite just to fit in. Choose your friends well. Different languages and dialects produce different pitches and inflections. NC hill dialect is an example of a higher pitch and soft dialect as opposed to say NYC. Think Andy Griffith. Turn on the southern accent and see what happens. Also, only way know how you sound to others is to record your voice with your computer or phone and play it back. Its also how to practice.

Guest Ashlyn M

My vocal cords have softened and my Psychiatrist said that it would occur. Since I am 18 apparently HRT was able to back track on a few of the advances from a male puberty. Being 15 the effects maybe greater on you. - Love, Kathleen

Wait what do you mean by back track??

Guest TGTrish

For the record, I'm pushing 60, have been on HRT abt 7 months now. My voice has clearly gotten softer and I can't hit the low notes I once could. I only practice a female voice now and then, can't easily switch back when needed, and I still need my male voice at home. (Since I'm pretty well deaf I don't use my voice in most public situations, play my deafy card.) Even if there is little direct effect on our vocal cords by E. I'd be quite surprised if there were not a number of indirect ways it can effect our speech. My two cents anyway.

Trish

Guest noeleena

Hi,

A little different for myself , and my body works a little different as well , though many dont belive me any way , ...tough...

My voice changed by its self , okay and no added hormones are to be counted in , my own hormones and brain speech were at the center of my changes plus i was not going to force a change in any part of that , granted i have sang much of my life and in choir,s so i know about voice control, most of my talking is okay ,

though when i was talking to large groups of people my voice would go into the upper female range or if you like the exited talk , how do i explain okay when im on my subject it,s real life and im conveying my inner most being my body language is on fire im alive and im expressing my self in such a way people know its not just a talk and like you are reading from a paper, i cant do that any way . my story is myself and nothing writen down an esay if you like about 1800 words esay, and about an hour ..

I move around and interact with those there, that is a major change in my interacting with others, and my voice reflects that as well , my difficulty is of cause writing it down in how to explain ,

Okay why did my body go through that change , yes it does and can happen for a few of us , because my body makeup is different is because of being an intersexed female , remember no synthic hormones just my own , body changes, and that started over 21 years ago. belive me or not it,s true,

...noeleena...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 195 Guests (See full list)

• JenniferB
    • Vidanjali
    • KymmieL
    • Birdie
    • Mirrabooka
    • AllieJ
    • SamC
    • Heather Shay
    • KathyLauren
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

MossycupMolly
    Newest Member
    MossycupMolly

1. Angelo christoper
      Angelo christoper
      (38 years old)
    2. Joslynn
      Joslynn
      (61 years old)
    3. Kaltia_Atlas
      Kaltia_Atlas
    4. Rika_Lil
      Rika_Lil
      (40 years old)
    5. Summerluv
      Summerluv
      (19 years old)
    • Vidanjali
      Hello & welcome, giz! Your post makes me remember how excited I was to join here too. I also had queer friends at the time I joined, but any of my trans friends lived a long distance away. So most local queer friends are gay & I felt uncomfortable coming out to them bc I couldn't assume they'd understand genderqueerness. So it was a thrill to join here and immediately have access to do many wonderful, genuine, kind & thoughtful friends-to-be.   Are you saying you're concerned that if you come out to your queer friends that somehow your parents will find out?     My love, I just want to affirm that that's not a weird dysphoria. It's just dysphoria. And we definitely get it. You're in good company here!     Look forward to seeing you around here & getting to know you. I shoot for androgynous appearance as well, leaning towards masculine.   Hope you're having a splendid day!
    • Heather Shay
      Listening to a YouTube mix for me and this song came up and I immediately fell in love again and just want to play music with like minded musicians playing OUR music and feel the joy and fulfillment even if no one else gets it. I love to fall into the music....  
    • April Marie
      Welcome to the forums, giz! We’re so happy you found us. You’ll find lots of information and many wonderful people here. Each of us is unique but we all share similarities as well. Look around, ask questions and join in where you feel comfortable!
    • Heather Shay
      NPR tiny desk winner 2024 - REALLY ENJOYED - simple song with wonderful melody, retro sound, reminds me of Billy Preston....  
    • Heather Shay
      What is happiness for you?
    • Birdie
      Funny.....   The day-centre transportation director told me yesterday morning that I was to receive an award, my picture on the website, etc... for having won the billiards tournament (I knew better).   Later that afternoon he returns to "shake my hand" and tell me, "thanks for participating."   I could have told him that was all I would receive earlier. I'm not well liked by management. 
    • Heather Shay
      Feelings are joyful as happiness spreads.
    • Heather Shay
      The Power of Feeling our Feelings: a story of joy and pain https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1683051267452-AAZVC5ZJZ5E2XRBOOPRE/unsplash-image-rOKbmUbcOVg.jpg Does “joy” feel like a distant memory or an intangible experience for you?  Are you on the journey of seeking more joy in your life? Maybe you’ve found this blog, as in your healing journey, “more joy” is the beacon that gets you through the tough times, and you are fearlessly on the quest to learn more about trauma, anxiety and depression and how to support a more joyous life. If that sounds like you, then welcome, this post is for you, and if that doesn’t feel like you that’s okay too, I invite you to stay for a story. Let me tell you a story about a woman named Ellie who came to therapy with the goal of “wanting to feel more joy + lightness in her life”. She sat on the couch across from me…she was so eternally wise, and self-aware. She had worked so hard to get to this place of understanding herself, but she still felt stuck and nowhere closer to her joyful, fulfilled life. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684948947151-PH97YWGUXYF7JJT25K1I/image-asset.jpeg She came back session after session, explaining her struggles and breaking down the gritty details of who she was, until one day I said, I paused her again in attempts to help her connect more with her emotional experience, For the first time in her therapy experience, Ellie was still, she took a moment to check inside and find her sadness…she was really being with her emotional experience. Sometimes as humans we can be aware of feelings, but struggle to FEEL the feelings, tuning in to our emotions and letting them take up space. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684949533886-EOI9VPKBEQ2EZHERTYT1/image-asset.jpeg All of a sudden she felt her throat getting tighter, her heart sinking, and tears welling up in her eyes. She said, as she began to cry, “ yeah I feel so sad because…” I so ever gently interrupted her again “hey Ellie it’s okay, can we just let the sadness be there, it's SO important why, and also its SO important to just feel, so just feel sad my dear”. Ellie, hearing this, felt her shoulders drop and soften in surrender, and spent the next minute or so letting her tears flow, crying, and being guided by me, to find support in her own breath and the pillows and blankets on the couch. This somatic release, was exactly what she needed. She cried, while I held space, providing compassionate support and company, until Ellie felt a huge sense of relief wash over her body and exclaimed “woah that felt so cathartic, I feel lighter”.  I cracked a very stereotypical nerdy therapist joke and Ellie let out a HUGE chuckle, beginning  to laugh deep into her belly, and that feeling of lightness transformed into a moment of JOY! Could it be? Ellie settled into a feeling of calm after her chuckle with me and asked, “What just happened? For a moment there I felt so light and wow, I really laughed. Is that joy? How is that possible?” I then began to share a bit of on emotions…."Let me explain the connection between our pain and joy. They might be more connected than you think!” Emotions are an integral part of the human experience. They provide us with valuable information about ourselves and our environment, and they can motivate us to take action or change our behavior. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684950220510-2BYGYE4A5XKZODNS2I0Y/image-asset.jpeg However, it is common for people to try to avoid or suppress emotions such as sadness, anger, and fear.  They may try to explain it away, finding logical and “cognitive” ways to cope with the pain…. While this may seem like a reasonable strategy to avoid discomfort, it can actually have negative consequences, including a reduced ability to feel positive emotions. Our emotions are interconnected and interdependent, they are all processed in the same areas of the brain. The neural pathways that process pain are called the nociceptive pathways. The nociceptive pathways send signals to the brain's pain center, the somatosensory cortex, which processes the sensory information and generates the experience of pain.   However, the same neural pathways that process pain can also process pleasure and joy.  This is because the somatosensory cortex does not just process sensory information related to pain; it also processes sensory information related to other physical sensations, such as touch, temperature, and pressure. When we experience pleasure and joy, these sensory signals are processed in the same way as pain signals. However, instead of activating the pain center, they activate the brain's pleasure center. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684950865903-TQRJXIIXD3SHELV065QA/image-asset.jpeg This means that the same sensory channels in the brain can be activated by both pain and pleasure, but the experience we have depends on which part of the brain is activated. When the pain center is activated, we experience pain, and when the pleasure center is activated, we experience pleasure and joy. Pain and joy are actually closely related to each other, cousins if you will! In other words, our emotional experiences are not isolated events, but rather a complex and dynamic system of interrelated experiences. When we try to avoid or suppress our perceived negative emotions, we are essentially shutting down a part of our emotional experience. This can create a "numbing" effect, where we feel less overall emotion, both positive and negative.  This is because the brain processes emotions as a whole, so if we try to suppress painful or uncomfortable emotions, it can also reduce the intensity and richness of positive emotions. Research has shown that people who struggle to identify or express their emotions, particularly painful ones, often experience lower levels of overall emotional experience, including positive emotions. This is because our ability to experience positive emotions is dependent on our ability to process and regulate negative emotions. By suppressing negative emotions, we may be hindering our ability to fully experience positive emotions. _____________________________ So, to wrap up this short story with a nice bow… Ellie was able to FEEL into her sadness, thus allowing her to FEEL into the depths of her own experience of joy. She was activating “stuck” pain and moving through the experience, using those key areas of the brain, so her JOY was fully expressed as well. This is why….I extend an invitation for you to FEEL it all my dear, the heavy and awful, the light, and all the emotions in between. These different parts of us, make up who we are. If it feels too scary at first that's okay, maybe find a trusted friend or a therapist that can help support you in feeling safe  to express your emotions slowly, bit by bit, over time.  And If you are ready to lean into those heavier feelings, let them out, because the pain that you may be avoiding feeling, just might be the very thing you need to feel, to then welcome and unlock the feeling of JOY. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684950934538-PW47TOU8LXR9AINGG53F/unsplash-image-ktPKyUs3Qjs.jpg At Integrative Psychotherapy we help clients engage in therapy so they can feel more comfortable in their skin and befriend alllll their emotions.
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • LucyF
      So I have started HRT and its been almost 3 weeks. Here are the changes I have seen so far:   week 1 - Hours after I started, it felt like a fog has lifted and I felt so much better about everything. Almost like I can now actually be happy. My skin is so less oily and so much smoother   week 2 - I have noticed that my senses seem to be more refined. I smell things I just didn't notice before. I can concentrate so much better. Its almost like going from video to and HD blue ray disc.   week 3 - ok, boobs are itching on and off and tiredness is setting in slightly. Still feel on top of the world.   Apart from that, my daughter (9 year old) is struggling at the moment. We are having open dialogue which is helping, and I am getting in touch with a child psychologist that will hopefully help.     Onwards and upwards.
    • VickySGV
      I want to hold back on this one until more solid information comes out.  The defendant is claiming it was accidental, but the Trans side is demanding a hate crime scenario which an accident would preclude.  Pardon the phrase, but as I read this folks are jumping the gun here.
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.advocate.com/crime/trans-teen-jazlynn-johnson-killed   This is a tragic ruination of two young lives.  It is very sad.  May Jazlynn rest in peace.   Carolyn Marie
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Well, here's the big questions:  What does it mean to be masculine?  What does it mean to be a woman?    I've been around a lot of rule-bending in those areas.  There's all sorts of "traditional" views about what men and women do.  Men work on mechanical things, defend/protect, earn a living, play rough sports, etc.  Women cook and clean, are gentle and nurturing, value aesthetics over function, etc.   Yet, my very "masculine" industrial-manager husband cooks just as well as any Betty Crocker wannabe, and tells the bedtime stories that are most in-demand by the kids.  My GF, who is surely "ALL Girl" is a highly skilled mechanic, a street racer, was busily laying concrete while 6 months pregnant, and practices kenjutsu (Japanese sword fighting skills).  And me?  I'm AFAB but I'm infertile and I feel like I should have had a male body...yet I possess very little in the way of "manly" skills or desire to acquire them.  I'm in my boy form these days, but pretty much useless for accomplishing "boy stuff."     I think my family blew those definitions out of the water.  Yet, somehow our family structure is also religiously patriarchal....and happily so!  It'll bend your brain to try to figure that one out.    I'd say its just important to be you, do what you do best, and stick your tongue out at anybody who doesn't like it. 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.