• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

New Va Policy

Guest DeniseNM

I talked with some of the staff here at the VA where I am staying at the moment. They know I am trans and we were talking about that and I mentioned that the VA in general has wanted to act like we don't exist (the ones here are good but I know others haven't been) and they told me there was a new policy out in regards to transgendered people in the VA. They read me some of it and it basically says that we are to be treated with respect and dignity and made to feel safe just as evey other vet is. We are not to be excluded from any service or treatment but rather included in everything just as all other vets are. This is such a major turn around from the past and it seems that the VA is finally admitting we exist. I am going to see if I can get a copy of the full policy soon and if I do then I will try to post it here for everyone to see.

Denise

Guest Donna Jean

OMG, Denise.......

I haven't heard of this and it would have such an effect for us Trans vets!

Please get an update here if you can...

Honey....why is it so hard for us to get what we deserve?

says that we are to be treated with respect and dignity and made to feel safe just as every other vet is.

This is wonderful, but it just breaks my heart that it has to come out as policy and it doesn't just exist by default!

Oh, well....defiantly a very good step!

****HUGGS****

Out of the Jungle...

Donna Jean

Guest DeniseNM
OMG, Denise.......

I haven't heard of this and it would have such an effect for us Trans vets!

Please get an update here if you can...

Honey....why is it so hard for us to get what we deserve?

This is wonderful, but it just breaks my heart that it has to come out as policy and it doesn't just exist by default!

Oh, well....defiantly a very good step!

****HUGGS****

Out of the Jungle...

Donna Jean

Yeah I was blown away when they told me about it and then pulled it up and read me part of it. Will definately do my best to get a copy of the full policy to post here for everyone. It is a shame that it has to come out as a policy instead of just being how we are treated by default but that is how life is, we take what we have and work to make it better (and it seems to be getting better).

Wish I knew the answer to the question of why it is so hard to get what we deserve but still searching for that one.

Denise