• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

HRT for Older Transgender Females

Guest Cyndysub

Guest Cyndysub

Hello everybody,

I am 60yo Transgender Female and have been on HRT for about 3 months. My emotions seems stronger and my body smell has changed (Thank Goodness) My question is what are the "Approximate" effects that people around my age can realistically expect by 6 months to a year to 3 years. I have heard that your "Milage May Vary" but I would like to hear what people around my age have experienced. Thanks in advance.

Cyndy

• Admin

Cyndy, I started HRT at 56. Within 6 months I was starting to develop breasts, my body hair growth had diminished considerably, my skin was softer, and my unanticipated arousal activity had also diminished. By 18 months or so, I had developed B cup breasts, my body hair had almost completely stopped growing and what was there was much finer, and sexual sensations and physical responses were gone.

I did not experience much in the way of fat redistribution, but people have told me that my face has changed to some degree. I may have forgotten something, but that's been my experience.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Well, at 66.5 and 5 years into HRT, I have sailed pretty close to the guidelines in the WPATH Standards Of Care as far as bodily changes, which chart out to 3 months being the onset of the visible changes in most areas and 3 years being the extreme to complete the development. In the breast development area, I am a happy B cup with is right up with both of my natal sisters. They are not huge, but guys do not miss them. There was developmental soreness about 4 months, which really hit at 6 months. I can wear a swim suit proudly!! I still had 95% of my head hair and over the course of about 14 months it did change texture and is finer in thickness. which is both blessing and curse now that it is grown out. No re-growth in the one area, but my hair do, while not a traditional "comb over" does mask it, and my hairdresser says its no worse than some of her older natal female clients. At 9 months I had the beginning of testicular atrophy, and the last day of spontaneous operation was about a month later. Nerve connections in the area did continue to function, and as you can see in my signature line, I am Post Op.

Guest Kenna Dixon

I'm 73 and started HRT about seven years ago.

My head hair's always been fine and remained so. It hasn't thinned noticeably, and I have no receding hairline. There's only very sparse and slow growth on my legs and arms - so little that it hardly ever needs attention - and none whatsoever under my arms.

I'm not sure about skin softness or changes in my face. I "pass" without a problem (even at the beach) and have been told that I look very feminine. Breast development was similar to that described by Carolyn and Vicky.

One thing that surprised me (and I'm going to try to put this delicately) is that although involuntary arousal is a thing of the past it's very easy to achieve a very intense, non-ejaculatory result simply by means of gentle touch (not the "old" way).

Guest Cyndysub

Thanks so much everyone this really puts it into perspective for me. I was told that I would have some breast tenderness behind my nipples after a couple of weeks after starting HRT. I'm up to about 3 months now and no tenderness yet and I was starting to worry but your comments have put my mind at ease.

Cyndy

Guest LizMarie

My results do not vary much from the above, with the exception that I seem to be a full A cup at about 25 months HRT. It's filled out and grown a bit with three months of progesterone so the progesterone has helped, but I'm still definitely not a B cup. Otherwise, same as many others - skin softening, body hair greatly reduce (plus I epilate regularly and that I think helps the hair that grows back come in thinner). I had extensive male pattern baldness before HRT and have had some regrowth since but not enough to avoid wearing wigs, with which I expect to be stuck for the rest of my life. So my results mostly mirror those above.

HI Cyndi,

I started HRT at the age of 62, and am evidence of the variable mileage axiom. Three years of HRT have yielded next to nothing in breast development or other evidence of feminization. Perhaps the changes to my skin were the most notable. On the upside, I didn't suffer much testosterone poisoning either, and in total, am very happy with the outcome.

For me, the mental effects of HRT made it all worthwhile. I do hope that it works out at least as well for you!

Love, Megan

Guest Cyndysub

Hi Joann60,

The mental part is what I like and the feeling of my former nervous edge is gone and replaced mostly with a calm demeanor. I hope you have smooth sailing on your journey.

Cyndy

Hi Cyndi,

I am 55 years old, and I have been on HRT for a bit over 3 1/2 months. I suspect that I am an A cup already, but it is hard to say since I haven't tried on a bra yet. If you go to my profile you can see a bigger version of my avatar photo, and it kinda shows how much my boobs show in a white T-shirt. My features have softened, and the bald spot on my head is gone now. My hair had receded some, and while I have had re-growth, I will need to watch my hair styles in order to look okay. I need some bangs. My hair is very dry, and not as thick as I would like, but it is getting better slowly with me using coconut oil as a leave in conditioner. I have a lot of silver/gray hair mixed in with sun bleached blonde. I never had much body hair, and now I have less. What hair that does grow is on my arms and legs, and it is soft, and pale, and thin. Not much libido nowadays, but I can sometimes still have an O. I find that I am way calmer, even under extreme stress, and I am extremely pleased with both the mental, and physical effects so far. Groovy topic!

hugs,

Stephanie

Guest Cyndysub

Hi Stephanie,

I don't have much libido this days but I can O sometimes too like you can. I have been eating right and going to the gym a couple of times a week and have been able to lose 18 lbs in the last month and I want to lose all of my belly fat, another 25lbs at least but slow and steady. I like this group and it is the most dynamic one that I have found. It is great to be here and benefit from everyones experiences and comradery.

Cyndy

Guest Cyndysub

Hi Faith,

Thanks. I haven't seen much of this subject covered on this site and had been wondering that with the wealth of peoples experiences and knowledge that it it would "Pay Off" for me. The number of responses were a pleasant surprise. Thanks everyone.

• Admin

CyndySub -- Find those of us who confess to being above the 5 decade level, and use the search. I have a bunch of my wisecracks about hormones in a number of places here, some are helpful (even when I meant to joke about them) and some are not so helpful but could be fun reading. There is a myth out there that we are trying to bust that hormones must be started by a certain age to be effective, but there are the ones who have posted here and some others that know the truth, Older Girls Do Just Fine!!

Guest Cyndysub

Thanks Vicky I have heard the one about HRT being more effective for younger aged Transgender Females and was leaning toward believing it and was getting bummed out but everyones posts here have helped me see the truth and it is a welcome relief.

Cyndysub

"Many people, especially ignorant people, punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you are right and you know it, speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth." - Gandhi
Guest Cyndysub

Oh I am so happy today, I discovered that my skin finally has gotten softer. It thrilled me to find this out and I am as giddy as a kid on Xmas morning. Now awaiting and I'm looking forward to breast pain, crazy right but I know that will bring more welcome change.

Cyndy :)

Welcome aboard the Womanhood Express, Cyndysub.

I am able to relate so well to feeling like a child at Christmas.

I woke up last Christmas with a huge smile on my face as I realized I was holding onto something bigger than my nipple. :blush: <giggle>

I wish you will do the same this upcoming Christmas.

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

Hi Cyndi

I started HRT at 57 and revisited my physician 4 months after starting HRT. First thing he asked me was how do you feel on estrogen. And it just came out. I feel incredibly calm. No anger or frustration. So you should feel mental changes. Kathy

Guest Cyndysub

Hello Kathy,

I have seen and liked you posts about your GCS and other things as well and appreciate your humor. I dream of the day when I can get GCS.

I just started my fourth month on HRT and I do feel calmer and I lost the nervous edge that was always present with me. I feel like my natural self and I haven't felt this good since my childhood. My sense of smell and taste have gotten more acute and my body smell has changed. I just noticed last night to my utter joy that my skin has gotten softer. This may sound nuts but I am looking forward to my breast pain. My hands are not as strong as they were 3 months ago and jar lids are a bit of a struggle sometimes but that is fine with me because it means my body is changing. I have had 2 dreams about being female and in the dreams I felt incredible joy. I get funny feelings in my muscles sometimes and figure they are getting smaller I have been going to the gym twice a week and have tone but no muscle growth. I am still waiting for the hairy gorilla to leave my house but its still here and I shave it daily or so it would seem. I just finished my 3rd Laser treatment on my face and neck.

Cyndy

• 6 months later...
Guest Cyndysub

I have a question that probably have been addressed on this site but I could not locate it.

Is anyone taking Progesterone if so, does it help? I have found conflicting info on the net on this

and wanted to ask on this site with real ladies that have experience.