• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Just Wondering About Something

Guest StrandedOutThere

Hand preference  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Select the option that best describes you

• Exclusively right-handed
    • Exclusively left-handed
    • Ambidextrous (do things equally well with either hand)
    • Write with right hand, but do some things left handed
    • Write with left hand, but do some things right handed

Guest StrandedOutThere

Hi all,

I was reading around online and found a several studies about handedness and all kinds of other stuff. If you all would, please indulge my curiosity by responding to my little poll. I'd say why I'm curious, but that might bias people's responses. :) If enough people respond, we can chat about what I've been reading.

Wait! Don't run away! I'm not trying to bore everyone to death! I'll make a graph!

As for me, I'm primarily left-handed but do some things with my right hand. So, for writing, I can only use my left hand. If I'm throwing a ball, batting, or swinging a golf club, I do that right handed. When I'm playing disc golf I do my backhanded throws left-handed, but do forehand throws right-handed. I guess I'm just a mixed up fella.

Guest Cody_T

I don't use my left hand as the dominant hand often. I don't even usually catch things with it, and I played softball for 12 years (translation... spent 12 years having to catch things with it).

However, I think I used it more often before I broke it. As a result of the cast I obviously couldn't use it for most things for a little over a month, and then as a result of breaking it I now have mild instability in my ligaments that makes certain actions painful and slightly limits rotation. It's nothing that gives me great reason to stop doing things with it, and not too noticeable, but I think that as a result I just naturally have shifted to relying predominantly on my right hand.

Although I am currently teaching myself to write with my left hand.

Guest Jackson

So does that mean I get to see the graph?

I can't write with my left hand; however, I am pretty ambidextrous when it comes to other things. I do have some habits of left-handers: wear a watch on my right wrist, golf left-handed, drive mainly with my left hand, etc. I had a lot of people when I was growing up ask me if I were left-handed.

Guest Selkia

I am Ambidextrous ^_^ i can write with either hand,

but I tend to Hand Write with my Right hand and Print with my Left ( which is sorta werid..but cool werid)

Though my Right hand isn't used as much as my left in daily things such as opening doors or picking up items.

and YAY! GRAPHS!!! will it be a Bar Graph? :) or a Pie Graph? OR PERHAPS A LINE GRAPH!

Guest StrandedOutThere
and YAY! GRAPHS!!! will it be a Bar Graph? :) or a Pie Graph? OR PERHAPS A LINE GRAPH!

Pie graphs are always fun. I think that might be a fun choice for this, since it's already showing us a little bar graph.

Cody, I think the watch thing is just a matter of preference. Most right handed people wear it on their left arm. I'm mostly left handed and wear mine on the left too. It's in the way no matter what I do!

It looks like we are getting a lot of not purely right handed people. Hand preference isn't such a simple matter, is it? Zabrak, don't feel like being right handed is boring! If you knew some of the theories about why left handedness happened, you wouldn't mind being "boring". :) Besides, you are cool and can make really neat Iron Man collages. There's nothing boring about that!

Guest Selkia
Pie graphs are always fun. I think that might be a fun choice for this, since it's already showing us a little bar graph.

Yes a Pie Graph..I don't know theres just something about Pie graphs..they make math class alittle bit more "tasteful" ( okay I know that was a pretty lame joke..but I Must Say Pie is good :P an interesting fact.. I eat Pie with both hands ^_^ )

Ps. if the Quote comes out wrong sorry I'm still getting use to posting on fourms

Guest Evan_J

Ok, here I come with my "radical and questionable" response..... I think that, although peeps have natural predispositions to handedness, it can be influenced if the individual desires. I say that because at a certain point I thought it would be "neat" to be ambidexterous. I learned to write equally well with both hands and used them equally. After "accomplishing" it the notion became boring :P Through disuse (like Cody and his cast) the "ability" faded.

(sits anxiously to hear the entirety of "Professor" Ainsley's musings.) <--you know I like kidding you right? :P

I just came here because people kept talking about pies!

I am an ambidexterous eater, even with chop sticks (but I don't like chopsticks for eating pudding and cobbler)1

So I voted, now where is my pie?

In Chicago they pay you after every vote you cast.

Love ya, (but even more if you have some pie with you next time)

Sally

Guest Zack L

I'm mostly right handed, but use left for some things. Like Cody I broke my left pinkie (Stupid colorguard rifle...) and got out of practice and also have some issues using it.

I approve of pie graphs! =D

Guest Little Sara

I write with my left hand and do other stuff with the right (ie I'm mostly ambidextrous save for writing).

I can put make-up with both, I can catch with both, I'm used to throw with the right, but my coordination is really bad so it doesn't really matter (whichever hand, I still throw like a girl).

Guest Elizabeth K
I just came here because people kept talking about pies!

I am an ambidexterous eater, even with chop sticks (but I don't like chopsticks for eating pudding and cobbler)1

So I voted, now where is my pie?

In Chicago they pay you after every vote you cast.

Love ya, (but even more if you have some pie with you next time)

Sally

Pie -PIE- where is the PIE! Lemon pie from scratch (with the zest added!) or home-made pecan pie, yum.... oh oh oh, sweet potato pie with Blue Bell french vanilla ice cream or ... hot granny-apple pie, pilled high, home made lattice crust cover, cinnimon, yuuuum ........ Pie graph? Not sure - good with whip cream? Pour me a glass of whole milk! LETS GO

Sally, a hint. If you run the chop sticks in a pencil sharpner first, you can stab the food better. I jab with one in each hand [ambidextr, ambibebecktr..ambi - two handed technique, but you said that - works with chicken and vegetables, like a shiska.. shistaca.. shistaka... the Lebanese people do] I always have a time with soup and chop sticks! Hint, when nobodys looking? Pick it up and drink it down like a cup of coffee real quick.

Left handed humor - does that count? And I do have a set of left handed screw drivers I am willing to sell cheap.

I had a friend here in Louisiana - she ran for judge (won) and told me it cost $5.35 per vote, just in advertisement expenses. It woulda been cheaper to walk through the neighborhoods with a stack of five dollar bills!

I voted, right handed mostly - some left, especially driving. Driving with my left hand freed me to oprate the shift, and to eat chips and cheezefood (jalepeno topped) with my right hand. And i talk cell phone left hand - does this male me left eared? Hey just realized always put in the left earring first!

Note the food focus - better go cook brekfuss - hummmm. I do flip pancakes left handed - hummmm

Dizzy

Guest Naomi Stardust

i was thinking about doing the same poll

only i was going to put it in the general forum

i am right handed, but i do some things with my left, if someone throws something at my left i'll catch it (or at least try) with my left hand,

for the right side the right hand

i write right handed

Guest My_Genesis

I voted exclusively right...I can't think of any activity with which I have a left hand preference...apparently I even snowboard regular..lol.

Guest StrandedOutThere
I voted exclusively right...I can't think of any activity with which I have a left hand preference...apparently I even snowboard regular..lol.

I snowboard and skateboard goofy footed, but then I'm a leftie.

Guest Cody_T
I'd say why I'm curious, but that might bias people's responses. :) If enough people respond, we can chat about what I've been reading.

so do we get to know what prompted this yet? Or you can pm me... I'm not picky, just curious ;)

Guest mia 1

Have tried using my left hand and even my left eye an left leg...but to no avail........can do it but awkward and uncomfortable............darn it there goes that multi million MLB contract.........Mia.............. :P

Guest StrandedOutThere
so do we get to know what prompted this yet? Or you can pm me... I'm not picky, just curious ;)

Yup, I'll post my thoughts and the pie graph (as promised) tonight or tomorrow. I have a lot of school work/stress right now so I don't have time. Soon, Cody....soon....

I do just about everything as a righty. I wear my watch on my right wrist too-- I always get called out on that.

For some reason though, I always thought it'd be neat to be ambidextrous.

Guest My_Genesis
Yup, I'll post my thoughts and the pie graph (as promised) tonight or tomorrow. I have a lot of school work/stress right now so I don't have time. Soon, Cody....soon....

I have a feeling I know what this is about. Read something online recently....and well yeah that's all i'm gonna say for now haha

Guest StrandedOutThere

handednessgraph.jpg

I made a graph!!

The reason I did the poll is because I was curious about the proportion of right-handed to non right-handed people. There was this study I ran across a while back that suggested that the proportion of non-right handed people among transsexuals (I think this included both MTF and FTM) was higher than in the general population.

It certainly seems to be the case that there are more non right-handed people here than one would expect. I used a very liberal criterion for "non right-handed" and this is a very small sample, but the results are still kind of interesting. Out of people I know out here in RL, I am pretty much the only left-handed person, which matches with what you'd expect. Most everyone is right-handed, like 90% of the population. In our small sample of 40 people, 60% of us were "non right-handed", which I defined as "anyone who didn't say they were strongly right handed". In "real" studies, they actually have a hand preference questionnaire. Even though I'm mainly left-handed, I actually would be defined as "mixed" because there are so many things I do right-handed.

I'm interested in research dealing with handedness and cognition. I've been reading around in that literature for a while. There is also some cool research with cognitive effects of HRT (with both MTF and FTM individuals). While I was looking up stuff about HRT and cognition, I ran across the handedness and TS study and was curious. If anyone is interested in more specific stuff, you can PM me and I'll give you the hook up. :)

Well, anyway, thanks to all who contributed. It was nifty.