• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Relaxation in Dressing

tracy_j

• Forum Moderator

Here I am sitting in the living room wearing a 36a bra underneath my shirt. It is now drawing into the cold season so it is a thicker shirt so the bra is not too obvious and, although I am not totally certain, I don't think my partner has noticed it (I do wear lots of feminine clothing, even a cami dress as nightdress in bed but I suspect the bra may raise comment!).

Getting to the point! My main reasons for doing this, even though it does make me feel a bit more feminine, are to get aclimatised to wearing a bra such that it becomes second nature and does not feel unusual when I go out and A second reason is to test whether the size I have got is correct. Bra sizing / selection for anyone seems to be a bit of a minefield! It would not be good to be out for a long day in an uncomfortable bra. Wearing a bra to me seems one step beyond other items such as panties as with a male it has no real purpose except when dressing as a woman so is not an item worn everyday (at work etc).

One thing I consider is that wearing any clothing has to feel like an everyday action. Give the average man a dress and he will look like a man in a dress because he will not know how to wear it (be uncomfortable / ill at ease with the attendant body language). After a few times he will look more natural even if he does not otherwise appear female. This will attract less attention.

I just wonder if anyone has thought similarly - ie how many others have worn items of clothing as much to become aclimatised to them as worn because they are feminine?

Tracy

Guest aballofquestions

I cant say that Ive done it intentionally, but I know where youre coming from. There are little things you get used to the more you wear some clothes and eventually they become second nature. Practicing those things makes a lot of sense.

• Forum Moderator

Exactly and I have realised the bra I was wearing is slightly too small but may well be Ok with an extender on the fastenings. A short trial in the comfort of home is better than a spoiled outing

Guest KatyDesire

I think you're absolutely right.

Many years ago, just about when they began to be acceptable, I started wearing a "man bag". I now have a selection of bags which are definitely NOT masculine. The one I am using today is a beautiful soft leather in black and red, with red stitching and a long red strap.

I am not in the least self-conscious about it, except that it feels good to use it, and I don't think - or am not aware - of ever having had a second glance.

And I really enjoy walking through a shopping mall and seeing that mine is much nicer than a lot of women walking past!!

• 3 weeks later...

I too feel at ease when at home dressed in feminine attire. At first it was daunting, yet as the years progressed I have found my size and styles. I find matching top and bottoms the most relieving. Have suffered anziety for a long time but dressing relieves a lot of my symptoms.

Guest Ellyssa

Tracy - I'm happy that you're enjoying yourself. Unfortunately relaxation is very rare for me, I'm always on edge that I'll be discovered. I seem to instantly adjust to the clothes, my personality and mannerisms follow along, it's like a light switch. I'll take conference calls and I think I speak normally then but I practice my voice when I talk to myself or while rehearsing presentations. Usually I keep my dressing very simple and that's what usually gets the trick done for me anyway. Fortunately, I don't need to go full glam, the bra, a cute top, women's jeans and cute sandals are all I can get away with. I'm a simple girl but I'm checking out a transformation salon in Chicago (about 300 miles away) and will make a weekend of that in January. They have some functions to actually go out to an otherwise straight restaurant that they go to once a month. This will be my first time in public and I'll be a bundle of nerves but I think logistics will be considerations, but I'm also a little worried that I'll like it too much! Pandora's box?

• Forum Moderator

Thank you Ellyssa

I think most all of us have fears of being found out or perhaps more correctly badly embarrassed in public with all the (usually imagined) consequences. Dressing simple and comfortable is the main aim with myself. Full glam is sure to attract attention which is Ok to an extent but mostly women like to look good, but essentially live their lives like anyone else. Going too far may get a bad reaction from women and ultimately from men as well.

I hope your weekend in January goes well. I have January in my diary as well. I have just been invited to a fancy dress party so it is the ideal opportunity to be myself but I have no experience of this at such a busy occasion. I'm not, or at least have not been for a good few years, a party animal. It's a bit daunting but I need to do it! Probably not girly girl but not male either. I am looking forward to it!

Tracy

Tracy:

I am doing the same thing; I’m wearing panties all the time now. At first it was a little difficult because of the way they are cut however now I find them very comfortable I love the feeling of being nice and flat. I have three beautiful lace camisoles and again I love the snug feeling around my chest that they provide. So far I’ve only worn them around the house but I am hoping to try wearing one out maybe under a nice sweater.

Ellyssa:

A transformation salon sounds wonderful, a great weekend getaway! I have thought about attending a CD convention. I really do want to meet other CDers in person I know it would be great fun.

Stevie

• Forum Moderator

Hi Stevie

I had some issues with panties at first until I found the styles that fitted best. Now they are very comfy. Camisoles are good, as you say, for their snugness. I have found on some the thin straps fall over my shoulders too easily, but I know women have his problem as well, so it is not really an issue with our bodies. One point I should point out is that the outline of a camisole can often be seen through thin material and some sweaters are very loosely knitted so a camisole can be identified through these too. I have got to the point that it does not usually matter anymore but I just thought I would point it out.

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest joan eden

Tracy: I wear skirts whenever I can .At home,driving to work or shopping.Skirts give me a little taste of dressing, and kinda hold me over until I can go all the way.Also I think legs look different that are exposed on a daliy basis as a cis girl might .I also wear shorts when possible even though I shave my legs.I know people talk behind my back but, I don't care.Beinging comfortable with what you're wearing,with showing your legs, it all makes it easier to pass.My two cents. Joan

• Forum Moderator

I love skirts Joan but do not get much chance to wear them with bare legs. Short straight skirts over leggings or jeans work but I would be pushing it a bit with bare legs locally. My shorts, I do wear in the warmer weather around the house and garden. The neighbours noticed but soon got used to them.

vivianmichelle I am getting quite used to wearing panties and tights when out. I often wear skinny jeans or jeggings and the tights and panties are ideal under these. Especially the tights for warmth now winter is here. The bottom of tights just look like thin socks at a glance so are not a problem. As with the start of this thread I am wearing my bra under a thick winter shirt. I have got quite used to it - to the extent that I have to be careful not to forget that I am wearing it! I have another with minimal padding and smaller cup size (nearer mine). With small inserts just to comfortably fill it I think I can wear more generally, at least with baggy clothes, so that will be the next step - out and about. Even if I were on hormones etc I think I would be happier with small breasts anyway. Looking at our family that is the norm so that would be my likely outcome. I agree - a non underwired bra is more comfortable - that is what I am wearing :)

Tracy

Guest AshleighP

Like anything else in life that you enjoy, the more you do something, the more comfortable and relaxed you become with it. I switched to wearing panties years ago and have never looked back. I do agree that finding the style that best fits your body type makes all the difference in the world. In that respect CDs are not unlike "real women", that's why there are so many styles of undergarments available I believe. Of course I have different styles, materials, and colors to suit my desires for the day. Tights have also pretty much become the norm for me in winter months, stockings or trouser socks in the summer when wearing long pants. Bra types vary on what I'm wearing, again not unlike "real women". Non padded, underwire ones do seem to work better with breast forms. I have done the same thing about almost forgetting I was wearing one. I actually changed into work clothes, walked out of the house, got in my car, and started off to work before i remembered I was wearing a bra. :) Fortunately there are private rest rooms here at work for when I finally decided to take it off later that day. ;-)

Joan, forget about people say behind your back about shaving your legs. I have been shaving my entire body for years, hands and arms included. If anyone has ever thought twice about it, or even noticed, I've never heard anything. I have actually told me people that I do it just to see their reaction. Most women I've told have had positive responses. truth be told I think more men would do it if they weren't afraid of what people would think.

Relax and embrace who you are!

Guest aballofquestions

Just was going to say that my NA sponsor, who is a perfectly "normal" hetero cis-male, is completely hairless. He is even more hairless than I am because he gets waxed regularly and I cant afford it (ok and Im a little scared too). He doesnt even have arm hair and I dont even go that far! So dont worry about shaving, its more or less accepted by most today, just enjoy yourself!

• Forum Moderator

Sounds good vivianmichelle although one thing I should point out which I have found is that if you use a bra strap extender to enable a bra to fit better the straps have a greater tendency to slide off the shoulders as they are further apart and closer to the shoulders. A way I have found round this is to move the strap fixings inward but this requires some sewing ability. It is also possible to buy / make various types of holders to secure straps.

Some of my camisoles have the strap problem and others not . I suspect if I looked closely I would find positioning the problem.

Tracy

I have worn skirts now for over ten years once I realized they were so comfortable and cool looking. I have always been jealous of women's unlimited choice of clothing. The first time I realized the freedom of wearing skirts was when I was out hiking with cut off jeans one hot day, and I took a knife and cut out the crotch. Ah, what a relief! I quit wearing underwear when I was in my late twenties. I wear skirts full time except if I have to do some dirty work, and the only bras I have worn have been sports bras with breast forms, but only for events like Halloween. Recently, after joining this site, I have discovered the joy of wearing naughty nipples without any support of any kind, and they look wonderful with the right clothes. Since I work out with weights my pec's give me enough form. I found that basic rubber cement hold them in place for days if necessary. They come with so called self adhering pads but they don't work that well. I have always liked women (like my ex) that went braless, for the nipples are it! I am not one to worry about what others think, but try to be polite to everyone and look people in the eye. Under my site you can see how they look. love, tomas

• Forum Moderator

Thomas, i hope you will also post in the introduction forum. You will meet more forks that way. Welcome to Laura's.

Hugs,

Charlize

Here I am sitting in the living room wearing a 36a bra underneath my shirt. It is now drawing into the cold season so it is a thicker shirt so the bra is not too obvious and, although I am not totally certain, I don't think my partner has noticed it (I do wear lots of feminine clothing, even a cami dress as nightdress in bed but I suspect the bra may raise comment!).

Getting to the point! My main reasons for doing this, even though it does make me feel a bit more feminine, are to get aclimatised to wearing a bra such that it becomes second nature and does not feel unusual when I go out and A second reason is to test whether the size I have got is correct. Bra sizing / selection for anyone seems to be a bit of a minefield! It would not be good to be out for a long day in an uncomfortable bra. Wearing a bra to me seems one step beyond other items such as panties as with a male it has no real purpose except when dressing as a woman so is not an item worn everyday (at work etc).

One thing I consider is that wearing any clothing has to feel like an everyday action. Give the average man a dress and he will look like a man in a dress because he will not know how to wear it (be uncomfortable / ill at ease with the attendant body language). After a few times he will look more natural even if he does not otherwise appear female. This will attract less attention.

I just wonder if anyone has thought similarly - ie how many others have worn items of clothing as much to become aclimatised to them as worn because they are feminine?

Tracy

I have stopped trying to fool people into thinking Im a girl. it seems fake. just my 0.02 although if i looked like a girl i would try every day to be passable.

• Forum Moderator

There are time I do like to go out as totally girly female. These are the times when I think of myself as crossdressing as such as I am not physically a woman and do have problems passing. I wonder if I am just acting even though it does feel totally natural. Most of the time now when not at work and out I am wearing predominantly womens clothes although in a more unisex style. This is I think the real me. Clothes are just clothes to me - just a wardrobe full of items to be mixed and matched so I look good (hopefully lol).

Most of the time these days I am not even worried, girl or not. I just like to feel like me and be accepted as such which is generally what I find, mostly male, sometimes female. Although that generally does not include wearing a bra (reserved just for full girl) it may well include wearing a plain skirt or dress over leggings or jeans etc. I am amazed at what I sometimes wear these days and how little reaction there is to it. This, I think, partly comes back to where I started - relaxation and confidence in dressing!

Tracy

Tracy:

Thank you for your post.

I am working in my home office wearing a favorite wig, bra, panties, cami, skirt, jacket and heels.

It does help to get used to wearing our fem clothing before going out publicly and learning to walk in heels takes practice.

I put on a little lipstick just for the heck of it. It feels so right.

Best