• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

"Sober and Out" a disappointment

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Well i mentioned that i would post a review when this grapevine publication came out. http://forum.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63517

I have almost finished all the stories of sobriety in the publications and there is only one written by a transgendered individual. The other 56 were written by gay or lesbian alcoholics. They had wonderful stories about recovery and the self acceptance that they found in the rooms. While i can identify with so much i must admit i began to build a resentment as i realized how little the T on the GLBT was represented. Perhaps because i know how difficult it is for many of our brothers and sisters to come out as themselves and the reactions they often receive, i am disappointed.

Perhaps we deserve this for not sharing our stories with the "Grapevine" and i'm beginning to feel it is time to share my story there as well as here.

We can get sober and we can at the same time learn to accept ourselves. That is what AA has to offer when it lives up to the traditions.

In short save your dollars and buy a different bit of literature. We are alcoholics and as such can relate to cis people as well be they straight or GLB. This publication is little help to our community.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

Sigh!! Well with all the writing we do here, looks like you and I need to take some time and get writing over there. It would serve them right.

In fairness, although I am OUT TRANS* in my meetings, it is still a thing that I am very cautious about because I have not figured the limits of "the pasture fence" out fully. Keeping my comments just related to alcohol recovery leads to some situations where I do come up with things that are confusing or that have nothing the others can relate to without going into a lot of background detail.

An example this past Tuesday was when I brought in my service time with the Human Rights Campaign last Saturday at a "Garden Party" where there was plenty of booze flowing all around me, and I nevertheless felt safe and happy to be there. I was representing the Trans* community by being a visible presence along with 6 other Trans* out of 1K paid attendees at the party. Here on this forum I have no need to explain why I did what I did, but to non-Trans* it is confusing and troubling.

Sobriety is a huge wonderful part of my life, but I cannot escape the Trans* and need to talk about it. This is a value to our Sunday night Chats that does help me, and frankly got me going to IRL meetings again. I know I am loved and accepted at the meetings I have come out to, but even I feel the potential for being a stumbling block and the confusion that will not be helpful to other non-Trans* Alcoholics. Double SIGH!!!

Guest Cyndysub

I am open to all races, ages, and groups except for the religious ones. I have always wondered why most people form cliques and draw mental boundaries around themselves and their chosen clique. I have also noticed that we are a little t in LGBT.

:unsure: Cyndy