• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Using the right gender - specific terms

Guest KatyDesire

Guest KatyDesire

I completely get and agree that, for example, the right way to address a transwoman is "she".

I am just as comfortable with the completely non - gendered terms like "zhe".

However, the other day, as a bit of a joke (I hope), my sons gave me a coffee mug inscribed "grumpy old git".

Now, my question is: what is the feminine form of "git"??? ??? (lol)

Anyone else have such troubling issues with other words ?

Hugs and giggles all round!

• Admin

I have no idea what a "git" is so I can't help you at all on that, but there are times I have taken an "oh to hell with it" attitude to some people who screw mine up. The funniest ones are where they use the wrong one, and then face palm on the second look and get it right!! The times that just make me want to do violence though are people who know me well.

Guest Clair Dufour

In LGBT spaces using just she or he is almost an insult if you don't add gender related compliments as to how good they look and with as much gender slang as you can. " love your outfit honey, you look so fish" or " killer beard dude.... great pecs" Yes, a bit camp but, everyone works very hard at passing and wants and needs recognition. Women don't want to be called old. You might ask your sons if they gave their mother a cup that says "bitchy old hag"!

• Admin

According to my slang dictionary, it's a word of British origin meaning "fool." Since fool is not a gendered word, "git" probably isn;t, either.. As for the appropriateness of the "gift," that is one for you to figure out.. ^_^

Carolyn Marie

Guest Eve Caillard

Git? I can set you straight. A Git is a grumpy old man, who has a penchant for making other people's lives a little bit of a misery through complaining. Nothing ever goes right for a git, and he'll let you know about it in no uncertain terms. The name can be derogatory, a deliberate insult: referring to someone who has obstructed and done their best to make your life a misery over a transaction or during an event (like non-stop complaining). On the other hand it can alse be used (among friends or family only) affectionately: grumpy old git meaning a miserable (old aged) person who takes no joy from life - but "we love you and we only say it to tease you" and the term is taken in that sense of endearment. The origin of "git" is "get" - referring to offspring of a family, i.e. "beget". But the inferred suggestion is that the 'get' is a illegitimate child - born out of wedlock.

Hope that helps!

Eve