• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

curious

Guest G_Unit

Hey Ladies,

I am really curious to know how much role genetics play during initial transition. Some people say they have a lot some people say otherwise.. So if someone can help ease my mind and help me understand how much of a role they play in transitioning, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Stacy

• Forum Moderator

If you mean what role do they play in how we develop during HRT, a great deal. It is considered a rule of thumb that our breast development will mirror that of our sisters or mother. Mine has fallen short so far but then again i didn't start HRT until my 60's.

If you mean is their a genetic predisposition to being transgendered, i'm not sure but doubt it. That being said i must note my grandson has some issues that time may further develop.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

I echo Charlize's statement, Stacy. On the second issue she mentioned, I know of no statistics to bear this out, but I do know of at least four instances in which siblings or children of transfolk are also TG. Whether that is statistically significant is impossible to say.

Carolyn Marie

So since i'm in my late 20's and should be starting HRT next month I have a good chance mirroring my mom's breast size (which is mostly why i'm asking this question) when she was my age. I was really wondering what my cup size would be and I've been getting mixed answers as to how much role Genetics play in transitioning. I mean i'm hoping to end up with a C/D cup size. I think mom was in that cup range when she had my younger brother. So it's been some what of a worry of mine that I wouldn't have breasts that look natural to my body size. Now I can let my mind rest cause if I'm as correct as I think I am, I will have breasts that some what mirror my mom's when she was my age.

Thanks a lot.