• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Medical Transition (and bigotry)

Guest Ender

Right then, after a very long hiatus from nearly the whole bloody internet (after major emotional crises and completing my Master's), I have returned and am seeking thoughts/advice.

As background, I more or less socially transitioned at 12-13 years old. I'm now in my late twenties and do not bind because I find it unhealthy and it reduces elasticity over time, which can negatively affect top surgery results. Anyway... I've gone back and forth on whether or not I want to take T for the last decade but have rarely questioned the necessity of top surgery: that, I need.

This summer, I decided that I want to *try* going on T because I'm not sure that I'd be totally satisfied without it. My voice is low (I was a tenor in a choir) but still could use a bit of dropping since it already cracks. There are some other effects that I'd like. As of now, I don't plan to stay on it for longer than 12-18 months because I don't want to risk hair loss, and also because I *might* use a surrogate later on. XP

Now, I got a new doctor when I started my PhD program, and specifically told the scheduling nurse that I wanted to see someone who could work with a transgender patient. My first appointment is August was... weird. I thought that he was just very thorough because he specializes in preventative healthcare. During that visit, he asked all sorts of questions about my gender identity and sexuality, and an uncomfortable number of questions about my sexual anatomy/habits. But again, I thought: this guy doesn't know me from Joe Smith and is just being thorough. He referred me to an endocrinologist but the health center never contacted me... (Also, I've had a letter from a counselor for T since April).

So, I went in for a check-up and to square away the referrals last week. Then he tries to tell me that I *have* to be on T for at least a year before I can have top surgery. I immediately corrected him and referenced the WPATH SOC. He asked me to e-mail that document to him - like, WTH, you're the doctor!!! Then, he suggested a doctor who has NEVER performed top surgery as if that was totally normal!! And once again, asked me invasive questions about my sexual habits and anatomy (despite my having already indicated in my first visit AND reiterated in that visit that I have no sexual habits because I've never had sex)!! At this point, I feel perved on and that he is completely unqualified to be a physician for transgender patients. I can get a referral (one way or another) to the LGBTQ health facility across town but I also feel that I should do something to call attention to the horrible lack of knowledge on transgender health issues at my school, which protects and provides health services to transgender students, staff and faculty.

Thoughts???

Also, if anyone has experience with Androgel and what changes they experienced when, I'd appreciate the insight.

• Forum Moderator

I would definately clue your school in about the so-called doctor they have treating trans clients. Sounds like this quack is more interested in your sex life than anything else. Turn him in to protect any other trans clients and move on tp the LGBT center and get a qualified doctor. I can't beleive he wanted you to have top surgery by someone who had never done that type of surgery before. sick wacko jerk

Having thought a bit more about all of this today, I've decided that I will indeed get a referral to the trans-inclusive health facility across town. It also has occurred to me that there is a Dean who meets with students about possible incidents of discrimination, and my Department has already made me aware of this resource. I'll request a meeting with the Dean as well as inform the LGBTQ center on campus of this problem, and based upon their recommendations, proceed from there.

I've also discovered that a seemingly very good physician for top surgery is about 6 hours away and appears to accept my insurance so, I'll be contacting them sometime either this month or next.

I find it irritating that I have to jump through so many hoops - that any of us do - this really needs to be fixed.