• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Your name, how/why did you choose it?

Guest Shelly1

Guest Shelly1

So I'm now torn among 4 names. I thought this would be an easy process, but it's not!

Got me to thinking, how did others choose their names? Was it easy for you to choose a name or did it take a while to settle on one?

Guest fantomphlame

It did take me awhile. This is one thing I would really recommend you take your time with. You can always try to spend a few weeks thinking of yourself as having a name you're considering to see how it fits you. I can't disclose my name here, but I can tell you that I had a list of potential names myself, and weighed them based on these main desires, in this priority:

1) I wanted a name that had a meaning which communicated something about who I am

2) I wanted a name that was feminine, but not uh... an "adult-dancer" like name

3) I wanted a name that I liked the aesthetic sound of

4) I wanted a name that was somewhat anonymous, but not on a "Jane Doe" level

Now honestly, I didn't have this all written out and wasn't thinking it through that consciously. But now I understand that this is basically what I was doing, and I'm happy with the name I chose (even though I haven't taken it yet).

Guest Megan_Lynn

Choosing ones name is not any easy task for most. It is not to be taken lightly as you will have to live with it the rest of your life ( hopefully). When deciding my own new name I did lots of research on names and tried seeing how any would apply to me. Also took into consideration the fact that all three of my kids have two middle names and are named after family members. Ended up choosing the name Megan ( just seems to fit me) Lynn ( wanted something more realistic time frame name) Alanna ( a mix of dad and moms first names ) then the last name ( not saying) is a respelling of my old one to hopefully help others not being so easily able to track down my past.

My suggestion is to take your time and really think it through. As people you can trust their ideas on it as well. Hopefully as with me it will will just come to you one day.

I'm a strong believer in the power behind names. So, now that you've chosen four that sound appealing to you, maybe try looking up their meanings and see from there.

One thing I think is important is to disregard everyone else's opinion of your name. YOUR name, you know? Hahah

Cerise is the name I chose at first becuase it was a color of a piece of clothing I bought. I think your name is very important and although I still like Cerise, Darlene is the name I use if giving a review on a piece of clothing I bought on line.

This came about from a dream in which I was surface sleeping and aware I was in that state and was talking to my spirt.

I asked what was her name and she said Darlene.

I told a friend who is a sympathizer but told her that my spirit said her name was Darling in the dream but later told her that the spirit said her name was Darlene when I figured it might be safe and taken well.

Darlene is not a name I ever really liked but figure it works and was not some fabricated moniker.

Guest noeleena

Hi,

Born names , Noel = no-el. edward. mannfried von Reutchthos, Loch-head.

And i use and legal noeleena edwina Loch-head.

last name is Scottish and two before that is german and Prussian,

And with that i had no issues with my names, our Endo asked me what name are we going to call you , oh dear i,v no idear so Jos and i said noeleen till my stay in Thailand and our RN = nurse said no it has to be noeleen,a, or in german noeleen'e' the e is stressed, as an ;a;

i did not wont to change my name of noel though no-el is okay by myself and is both male and female, meaning , the first no-el, so there you have it,

And im well known by many 10,s of 1000.s of people ,

...noeleena...

• Forum Moderator

Hi Shelly, a name choice is very personal, there are infinate reasons to settle on a name, below is a bit of rational for mine.

It did not take me long to choose my name. I had always liked the sound of it and the way it looks in print. It was a popular girls name when I was growing up, it seemed very age appropriate for me. I always admired other women and girls that had this name for some reason. It's also a very feminine name, there are no masculine variations that I am aware of.

I have had my name made legal now for a year and half, and it's very comfortable to use, and I love hearing it and seeing it, it's very rewarding to me. I can't imagine any other name for me.

Cynthia (moon goddess).

• Forum Moderator

Charlize for me was a natural outgrowth of Charles. I went through a period of being Charlie but it was not quite enough. I'm sorry i ever had the name Charlie after transition because it seems to have stuck with some people and i've grown to love hearing Charlize.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest Kenna Dixon

After a couple of false starts, I finally settled on Kenna Henderson in 2012.

Henderson was my mother's maiden name. She had left when I was seven months old, and we were reunited after nearly six decades. I am so very much like her, and the additional five years we had together taught me a great deal about myself. My maternal grandparents came from Scotland, and so I chose "Kenna" as the female version of the name she had given me.

My identified name, Mirabel, came to me by my Guiding Spirit.

This is in recognition of Mirabehn. The adopted daughter of a late wise person.

My identified name is also in consideration of my new life being a miracle.

My screen name is simply to retain a recognition of him.

My lastname is my maternal lastname.

Huggs, :wub:

Joann

It took me about 15 years from the time that I actively began thinking about changing my name to find my name. I tried many nicknames, and my second middle name, which was already masculine. Nothing seemed to fit. When I started college, I went by "Jay" and it was no problem but it was too simple a name for me. I wanted my first name to be male, leaning androgynous, and eventually ended up chosing the masculine variant of a name of a character that helped me stay sane for my entire youth. My first middle name, I chose as a replacement for a religious name, and my second middle name, I chose for religious reasons also.

• Admin

For my first and middle names, I asked my mother what I would have been named had I been born the correct gender. She told me, and I decided I loved it - the name is deliciously gender-neutral. When I changed my name as part of my transition, I took my old middle name as my new last name.

Yep, good topic. Way back in the sixties, I asked my mother lots of awkward things like "what would you have named me if I had been born a girl?". She told me that she would have named me "Gay", but that in the less than ten years since my birth it had come to her attention that the name had some connotations that she had been unaware of at the time, and that she would have paid to have my name changed if I had actually been born a girl. So I agreed with her at the time, and decided to select my own secret girl name. I knew an older girl, a teenager with a nice looking body, named Stephanie, and so I selected it as my secret feminine name. Later in the seventies, and eighties I vacillated between my original choice, and some names from Marvel comic characters like Janet Pym aka Wasp Woman, and also some of my female characters that I played in RPGs. Then in the nineties, and earlier this decade, I looked at all the ancient germanic female names still in use here and in Scandinavia to see if I liked any enough to take as my own if I should magically become a girl. Here and now, in 2014, since I decided that HRT was all the magic I needed to become a girl at last (middle aged girl at least), I decided to go back to my original choice, and thus be as true to myself as possible. Yep, I thought a lot of years on this, and I am happily going to fill out the name and gender change docs (hopefully I will get them done this week) and submit them with that fine original feminine choice: Stephanie. I haven't chosen my middle name yet, but I have been leaning towards "Lyn" since it is short, and might sound okay. At least I think it flows okay; Stephanie Lyn A-------, I am not entirely sure if it is good to spell out my last name here, otherwise I would if it didn't break any rules. I am completely "out of the closet" after all. :) Groovy topic, and I wish you luck in choosing your name.

Stephanie

Well you already know why I chose mine, but here it is for others.

Ashley was a name of 2 girls that I admired a lot in school and was also the name my parent's chose for my brother had he been a girl. I couldn't use the name they chose for me (April) because there were too many people in my life named that (including my best friend's nasty ex-wife) so it was out.

My middle name, Nikole, was a name I chose that flowed well with Ashley and was popular as well when I was born. Ironically it was the very middle name my mother had chosen for me. I changed the spelling to give a nod to my Eastern European heritage that belonged to my paternal grandmother who I adored so much.

I kept my birth last name because I love my family and they support and accept me and I didn't want to take that away from them. So in the end, Ashley Nikole is the name I've got and have had for almost a month now. Still breaking it in, but it appears to be a good fit.

God bless

Ashley

Hmm.. A topic I love to talk about. Funny, I just now thought, I never had a name growing up. It was always all about him so I conceded any right to my own identity. Then the day came, "Move over Pal!" I couldn't do closet ever again. Wow? I need a name??? What to do... The to do list:

I'm intersexed though far to the female side, where I want to be. But what about a universal male-female name.

It has to fit my age appropriate peer group, so the designer names that parents can't spell is way out!

I started searching the name records for my era. I liked the name Grace but it doesn't fit me. I also like Jody... Hmm... maybe?

I looked up universal gender names, some were cool, well look! There is Jody with much popularity. J O D Y was about neck and neck 6300 more female than male in my birth year. When you add the spelling J O D I and J O D I E, it skews way, way female. So OK JODY to the next test.

Jody the Rock Star! Cool male or female. Jody the charming tall elegant blond, now we are getting some where! Jody the long shore man with the dark ocean tan and the big strong muscles. Well maybe in a male regret moment? Jody the cowboy, now that fits Arizona. "And the winner is!!!???"

Jody the everyday girl, happy and content in her skin. That folks was a long time coming. But why Jody? The number one reason a fresh start, with no baggage to old what's his name? Oh, but what about the COE door? Jody sure beats the heck out of Trixy or Kitten!

Then the rest of the name just evolved. Ann a pretty middle name and it fits. Added together JodyAnn screams GIRL! And I will always love my Grandmother so I took her common last name, dumping the one the one that was hard to spell, even more difficult to pronounce and usually forgotten. I wanted a name that rolls right off the tongue and the whole world seems to remember. Good or Bad, they know Jody! I did good.

Put a lot of time and effort into deciding before filing at the court house. Sure a name is easy to change, but the hassles and implications are far reaching. Choose very wisely my friend. Hug JodyAnn

PS-BTW I used my Power of Attorney I filed on myself, to change a game club card for the kids from old what's his face. I didn't have to explain my history and very personal information to do it. I whipped out the card to show, (a miniature laminated copy of the document) told the nice young man, "Oh he's gone, we dumped him!" My son laughed and shook his head yes. Presto new credentials and the man never batted an eye. I have used this handy little document five times now. Once to change over a forgotten vehicle title that was still stuck in his name. Just sharing a thought. JA

Guest Ashlyn M

Well, first mine was Allison which I got inspiration for from a member here who I first found on youtube. She is also the reason I came out. Then I started liking Piper because of a character in a book. The back to Allison I think. Then Danielle after seeing someones hormone timeline on youtube. Then Allison. Then Taylor by my mom's choosing. Then no name at all. Then Danielle. Then Ashlyn from a character in a video game. I think I'm sticking with this one. I'm pretty sure that's how all of that went.

for I think it was a conversation about what name my mother would have given me if I were a girl. It was about 6 or 7 years old or something, since then it stayed with me, don't know why. So when I started to see a gender therapist and thinking seriously about transitioning it was a natural to choose Marie. It has no link whatsoever with my male name but my ex-wife, to be able to adapt better, was calling me Marie-Francis. So right now it's Marie-Francis my full name and Marie my nickname :)

Guest lingshen

Yep, good topic. Way back in the sixties, I asked my mother lots of awkward things like "what would you have named me if I had been born a girl?". She told me that she would have named me "Gay", but that in the less than ten years since my birth it had come to her attention that the name had some connotations that she had been unaware of at the time, and that she would have paid to have my name changed if I had actually been born a girl. So I agreed with her at the time, and decided to select my own secret girl name. I knew an older girl, a teenager with a nice looking body, named Stephanie, and so I selected it as my secret feminine name. Later in the seventies, and eighties I vacillated between my original choice, and some names from Marvel comic characters like Janet Pym aka Wasp Woman, and also some of my female characters that I played in RPGs. Then in the nineties, and earlier this decade, I looked at all the ancient germanic female names still in use here and in Scandinavia to see if I liked any enough to take as my own if I should magically become a girl. Here and now, in 2014, since I decided that HRT was all the magic I needed to become a girl at last (middle aged girl at least), I decided to go back to my original choice, and thus be as true to myself as possible. Yep, I thought a lot of years on this, and I am happily going to fill out the name and gender change docs (hopefully I will get them done this week) and submit them with that fine original feminine choice: Stephanie. I haven't chosen my middle name yet, but I have been leaning towards "Lyn" since it is short, and might sound okay. At least I think it flows okay; Stephanie Lyn A-------, I am not entirely sure if it is good to spell out my last name here, otherwise I would if it didn't break any rules. I am completely "out of the closet" after all. :) Groovy topic, and I wish you luck in choosing your name.

Stephanie

Oh my gosh! Your chosen name is nearly identical to my given name! I always hated it as a kid growing up, but as I grow older I appreciate its uniqueness. I was named after my parents.

Good choice :)

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I looked up popular birth names for the year I was born, read over the list and picked out a few I liked. Then I narrowed it down to 3. Then I asked my really really good friends what they thought of each name, which ones they liked and didn't like, then chose accordingly.

Guest ~Alexia~

When i was younger i was alawys pulled tworeds the name Alex, i went by it online and loved it and came to respond to it so for me it was simply changing alex to something a bit more female which is how i got the unique name Alexia

Guest Maddie8484

I originally went through a few names but my parents always called me "Matty". I decided to take that and feminize it a little and chose Maddie. Of course, I had to complicate it a little more and decided that Maddie should be short for something and finally decided on Madison lol. I also remember watching a documentary (the name escapes me right now) about a trans woman named Madison so I'm sure that had an impact too.

-Maddie :)

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Addendum to my reply: when I was thinking about my middle name, I went back and forth about keeping it family tradition, or going off in a new direction. Ultimately I decided to stay with the family middle name for girls, so another requirement for my new first name was that it had to flow well with the middle name, so there was that as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kayla Grace

Addendum to my reply: when I was thinking about my middle name, I went back and forth about keeping it family tradition, or going off in a new direction. Ultimately I decided to stay with the family middle name for girls, so another requirement for my new first name was that it had to flow well with the middle name, so there was that as well.

*Reads, realizes I need a middle name* Right, I forgot about the middle name ...

Natalya is a name that I don't see very often. "in my travels" I have only seen two cases where a "Natalia" is present. Csi Miami (don't get me started on how awesome that show is ..), and In Goldeneye. They are both beautiful women, yet very strong. As an aspiring cop, that's what I hope to achieve; strong AND sexy. The changing of the "i" to a "y" comes from a former friend of mine, who spells her name "Eryn". it shows originality I find.

My only sort of problem with it is it's most associated with Russian, and I'd prefer German.

there are so many middle names I could play around with ... I've thought of Alyssa, Lucina, Jessica, Rebeccah... those are just the ones off the top of my head. I really like Lucina and Alyssa.

God Bless,

Natalya <3