• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Smells

Guest Zabrak

Guest Zabrak

Yeah, thanks to Lizzy I thought of a topic.

Now, I've been told once that theres a "smell test" of sorts. It shows if you like male or females, apparently(could be a load of B.S). Because males and females do smell differently. So if you like how a man smells, or a woman smells, when they sweat then you're attracted to them. Which made me start to think...

Well, my smell has changed. I feel like I sweat less and smell less even without deodorant. I havent been able to use mine for a couple days - WHY? I got a infection under my armpit and I have been taking four pills a day and can barely move my arm due to pain. So I'm scared to clog my armpit with deodorant. So yes, I have noticed my smell more(from my healthy armpit!). I kind of...like it. I use to hate when I sweated in my female body, it smelled HORRID if I didn't apply deodorant all day long - even when it was cold I smelled bad.

Those on HRT - have you noticed a 'smell change' do you like it? Have you noticed you smell less, or more? Tell me about how you smell. LOL I'm not drunk, I swear.

Tell me about how you smell. LOL I'm not drunk, I swear.

That's OK, Zabrak,

Now could you just blow up this balloon for Momma Sally and we'll just do a little smell check of our own! :D

Love ya and I do understand the topic, but I haven't started yet.

State Trooper Sally

Guest Donna Jean

LOL.....Good one Zab......

But, it's a fact that men and women DO smell different and it's the hormones (say it ain't so)....

With the hormones your body chemistry changes....your odor changes....

Perfumes are designed to attract the opposite sex using flowers, pheromones, and woodsy scents depending on who wants to attract whom!

So, Z....I don't doubt that you smell different at all...its natural...I just Googled this topic and there is a lot on this ...how a man is more turned on during a certain time of the month by a woman...more than at other times...and a woman can tell if a man's sweat is indicating thoughts of a sexual nature.....It's all very Birds & Bees......

So, Hon....don't let Sally steer you wrong...she only wants you to blow up a balloon so she can rub it on her head and make it stick to the wall.....lol

Oddly enough I've noticed my smell and I thought of this very thing....My hair smells wonderful...maybe the shampoo...maybe hormones...dunno....but, I like it!

You smell GREAT from where I'm at, Z!

****BIGG HUGG****

Donna Jean

I know that your smell shifts, I just haven't started yet so I still smell like - well never mind - that's why I shower and wash my hair everyday!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Elizabeth K

I noticed a change in my body scent after about a month on HRT. And I had to reintroduce myself to my cat who seem confused. I had to find another deoderant because the one I used before seemed too sweet. The expensive cologne I used before (borrowed fro my S.O.) didn't seem the same anymore, and she and I went to the counters in the department stores and experimented. I ended up with three or four that I could use - and bought Unforgivable Woman, which is terrific on me. But my Drakoor (sp) men's became too powerful for me to tolerate.

So there is truth to all this idea of hormones. My therapist said I smelled so good one time - I had no scent on at the time. She was reacting to me woman to woman - I found out later. So others react to me now as well. I know my longer hair is well scented, I can now smell me on my pillow - not the conditioner, which can be delicious - I like teatree and coconut - but me, like a cotton candy smell but a little less sweet.

And as to sensitivity to smell? I don't see too much, but smell and taste are connected and food DOES have a subtle changes for me. A silly example is I never could eat asperagus before because I hated the smell, and now I crave it. Bananas now stink. I can tell rotten meat from a mile away.

Also the scented candles I liked, I can't handle scents of some of them anymore - usually way too potent. And for some reason now like some of the scents that are 'bedroom" and "women's longerie drawer" connected - you can figure those out - flowery scents, lavender for example. oh oh oh - clean sheets - especially slightly bleached - wonderous! And the feel - O M Goodness - I change the sheets three times a week now!

Gasoline? Horrible! I once used it as a cleaning solvent - can't handle it any more. And greasy smells - yuck! Cat poop and urine - holley molley! whewwww.

This isn't very scientific - but something is going on I guess - it surprised me.

And we need a topic on hearing - my S.O. says I don't hear her very well when she asks me to take out the garbage. HA

Lizzy

Guest StrandedOutThere

I think it is an established fact that men and women smell differently. Hormones are the culprit. From what I've read, not only is testosterone stinky, it also dampens your sense of smell a little.

A lot of the differences between manly smells and girly smells are from hormones in sweat. Since I've started T my sweat has smelled different. The thing is that I could only really detect this for the first month or so after I started T. After that I either got used to it or couldn't smell it anymore. Of course, sweat isn't the only thing that starts smelling different. My urine is smelly too. :( Girls have told me so. It's not like I'm messy either. Apparently they can detect it after I've removed any and all visible traces.

Okay...so one thing I am curious about is pheromones. Pheromones are related to hormones but I think the difference is that hormones carry messages in your own body and pheromones communicate with other organisms of the same species. Bees and other insects use pheromones to communicate, useful since they can't talk.

Anyway, supposedly there are pheromones present in male sweat and that they play some role in sexual attraction. What I'm wondering is if testosterone is signaling to my body that it should make some pheromones. Can I make them? I read a study one time that women were "above chance" at sniffing shirts and sorting them into male/female piles. No lie. Someone at my school also did a study where women preferred the smell of their boyfriend's sweat.

I want girls to like me and be attracted to my sweat...on that subconscious level.

Guest StrandedOutThere

My pets didn't seem to be upset by my change in smell. I was worried that one cat would be because he's really shy and only likes me. Surprisingly, he wasn't phased at all. If anything, he likes me more.

Guest Zabrak

Haha, Sally! You'll make my ahir stand up straight with a ballon... :blink:

Ok, so I'm not the only one who smells himself. LOL.

Anyway...enough with the jokes!

Thats interesting to read. I'd like to read more peoples comments too. The subject does interest me even if its not in my 'field'.

@Donna Jean

I don't know if I'll ever understand that one! lol the monthly thing.

@Lizzy

Interesting, I never thought about it effecting "female to female" or "male to male" friend relationships.

@Strand

Maybe I'll stop smelling my sweat but I never got use to my "female" smell I always hated it. Ever since I started on T I really stopped noticing it till I couldn't cover it up and well - now I like it! My S.O always says this saying when hes about to shower "I better go shower - I smell like stinky old man!" and I always loved it. I would get.......happy....yes lets say this. Maybe it had somthing to do with how men smell.

I can say that now too!(that I smell like a stinky man) So I'm excited. I'm weird huh?

Guest Adam_Mazur

scratch an sniff scratch an sniff typical oh an the raise your hand if ur sure lol i got that one too

****reaches hand around to butt****

sniff sniff yeah i am clean today

oh wait u was talking about that yeah i read an article on google that with hormone treatments that

ur smell often differs to whom u are so right on

kick the deodorant out the door next it will be the toothpaste........

WAIT NOOO DONT DO THAT

Guest Little Sara

I don't smell much, but I like my pheromones (which I don't smell much either). I may be pansexual, but this is more of a "I'm compatible with everyone" thing than a "I'm attracted by everyone" thing. I'm mostly attracted by men and can smell male pheromones. Male locker rooms smell a LOT to me heh.

Guest ~Brenda~

Hi Zabrak,

Great topic! I mentioned on another forum (I think that renee had posted about what makes you feel most feminine) that scent is most important (to me anyway)! I must smell like a woman or I do not feel right. Although, I am not on any therapy of anykind, I have noticed that over the years, I smell less and less male. I no longer get that "man's" oder from working outside for hours. If anything, I naturally smell neutral, and I simply augment my natural scent with a slight scent of perfume (works great!).

Once again Zabrak,

You post the most wonderful topics

xox,

bernie

Guest Jackson

Smells. Broad topic.

Okay, my scent is different. I sweat more just because my core body temperature must have increased. Like someone said somewhere once "I'm having my own personal summer." I do notice that I have to bathe/shower more often now because the scent is stronger and I sweat more. I have now learned why deodorant soaps have such a strong scent.

Now I do have one thing that is weird. My sense of smell has gotten a lot better. I can smell stuff that I couldn't before. I've always had really bad sinus problems anyway and still do, but I cannot tolerate some scents anymore. Bill (my soon-to-be ex) sprayed some air spray the other day and I nearly asphyxiated myself. I actually have noticed that I'll notice a woman's scent (whether it is perfume or natural). That has surprised me.

Guest StrandedOutThere

Despite what I've suggested in previous posts, I actually have to shower more too.

I seriously think my sense of smell is damaged. The other day I went into the grad student cubicle room (den of horrors). Someone had been eating microwave popcorn, which has a distinct smell that I used to never confuse with anything else. I went in and was like "who is eating..." and whatever I said wasn't popcorn. I didn't recognize the smell of microwave popcorn!

In terms of smell preference, there are more smells that upset me less now than before. I am not exposed to a lot of strong perfume smells, so I can't say if those bug me more. However, I do find "dog smell" much less off-putting now. I imagine that my bedroom smells like bulldog.

Guest Sergei

I have to say that I do smell a lot more since I have been on T, but yes I do actually really like the smell. Sometimes I won't actually wear deodorant because I really like the masculine smell of fresh sweat. Gross I know! I've always been attracted to guy and I definitely think smell plays a big role in attraction. I always think women smell nice, but just nice. Where as a man's smell just, well does something for me. lol

Guest My_Genesis
I have to say that I do smell a lot more since I have been on T, but yes I do actually really like the smell. Sometimes I won't actually wear deodorant because I really like the masculine smell of fresh sweat. Gross I know! I've always been attracted to guy and I definitely think smell plays a big role in attraction. I always think women smell nice, but just nice. Where as a man's smell just, well does something for me. lol

lol women smell a little *too* nice sometimes... :rolleyes:

Funny a few days ago i was talking to one of my guy friends and i thought he kinda smelled like I do. lol...what an awkward topic :lol:

I lost my login info recently so I couldn't post when Z first showed me this topic. But, yeah :) Zabrak and I like smells, and we like food. Some of our best moments together have been discovering we enjoy the same weird tastes. I read about that test a few years ago, you know, determining sexual preference based on pheromone response, and occasionally I re-test. I'm definitely bi! And a flip-flopping one at that, it can be frustrating..

Sorry to come into the talk later, but better late than never, eh?

Guest Leigh
I feel like I sweat less and smell less even without deodorant. I havent been able to use mine for a couple days - WHY? I got a infection under my armpit and I have been taking four pills a day and can barely move my arm due to pain. So I'm scared to clog my armpit with deodorant.

alright :) first, i must confess that i rarely use deodorant, i guess that's my way of starting transition without T (i also haven't shaved in about a year :D) but since i'm not on T, i can't say anything about my own smell. though, i have always liked both male and female smells. they're so sensual ;).

second, and off topic, if you're afraid of clogging your glands and DO want to use deodorant try to find a health store and look for one that is aluminum free and whatever you do don't buy antiperspirants, just good old deodorant.

third, and last, sounds fun. i can't wait for my smell to change

love&peace

Guest michelle.butterfly
Yeah, thanks to Lizzy I thought of a topic.

:lol: sure, blame Lovely Lizzy.

Ok ok ok I had resisted this topic for a while but since it's staying up there... :D

Since being on HRT my smell has changed for sure; I perceive it as being almost nonexistent now. Prior to HRT I knew my smell well and it was much stronger. I never thought it was *bad* exactly. *blush* Okay and I found it actually kind of 'attractive'... :rolleyes: No real 'attraction' to the current almost nonexistent smell...

*blush*

Michelle

• Forum Moderator

My wife loves it and gets all excited when I come in all " hot & sweaty", from working outside. ;)

Guest Evan_J

ROFL I love the topics here.....

Zabrak, bro, if you were not drunk when you came up with this one you should have been lol. You and Stuv are meant to be together. Marry him, post haste.

Errm, I dunno what I smell like actually :mellow: I used to know -it was that sweet smell- but with the increase in actual sweat I apparently lost my sense of smell lol. ....probably good that I have since more sweat is involved. As far as other people ....lol....I'm sorry but I haven't sniffed anybody lately.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Evan :D We're hoping, for now.

Did you know that the brain enforces a certain immunity to our own personal smells? It's so that signal doesn't drown out all the other smells we might perceive!

Guest Zabrak
ROFL I love the topics here.....

Zabrak, bro, if you were not drunk when you came up with this one you should have been lol. You and Stuv are meant to be together.

Well, I wasn't drunk WHEN I posted it.

Guest Evan_J
Did you know that the brain enforces a certain immunity to our own personal smells? It's so that signal doesn't drown out all the other smells we might perceive!

:mellow: No....I did not know that.....

(***backs aways slowly, goes to wedding registery to look up Stuv and Zabrak .... :D;) )

(It's official Stuv ;) you've been heckled )

Evan