• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What did you notice first.... ?

Guest ravenhawwk

Guest ravenhawwk

I never thought that this day would ever come to fruition... I did my first injection of T today at the doctors office... I do feel a sense of euphoria... it's an awesome feeling... everything is finally falling into place... :thumbsup: I know everyone handles T differently but I am curious to see what changes take place first for me... anyone want to share what they noticed first after starting HRT? Look forward to hearing from you...

Alex

• Forum Moderator

Congratulations. For me as i went the other direction i felt some peace with myself. Some of it i'm sure is physiological but that didn't matter to me. I simply felt like i was headed on the right path. I knew it was a lifetime journey but i felt so good taking that step. I think i was floating.

Enjoy

Hugs,

Charlize

Hi Alex,

Congratulations! You will love the way your mind feels once your brain is getting the right hormones. :) It is so groovy that you have started T. Yep, the three ravens added below your signature line was a sign that a potentially life changing event was about to happen, getting HRT is life changing, no question about it. I can't tell you about more specific effects of T for your male brain, since I am batting for the other team so to speak, but I am sure that other FTM folks will be along shortly to fill you in. :)

Hugs, :wub:

Stephanie

I never thought that this day would ever come to fruition... I did my first injection of T today at the doctors office... I do feel a sense of euphoria... it's an awesome feeling... everything is finally falling into place... :thumbsup: I know everyone handles T differently but I am curious to see what changes take place first for me... anyone want to share what they noticed first after starting HRT? Look forward to hearing from you...

Alex

Congratulations on your first injection!

First thing I noticed was downstairs growth and then voice

Downstairs growth is what I am excited for. I am just now talking about it...not even close to doing HRT. Exciting!

I'd say a toss-up between increased energy/libido and voice. I tried NOT to notice the acne for a while, lol!

Congrats Alex..........For me it will only be 4 months on T the 17th of this month. I agree with Ravin, a definite increase in energy and libido. My voice has deepened, itchy hairs have sprouted where no one is ever going to see them, downstairs growth (as Leo referenced) is occurring, noticeable fat redistribution and my arm muscles are going from regular muscle to hard muscle. Heck......I didn't think much was really going on until I just put it down in writing. Enjoy the ride. KC

I enjoy the stories of those going in the other direction. Please take my place and conquer all the worlds I did! 'Scuse me gents, I need to take my place over here with the Ladies. Hug. JodyAnn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ravenhawwk

Thanks everyone for sharing... I will do my 3rd injection of T tomorrow... for me the most noticeable difference is my libido... wow what can I say about that... :wub: the only other thing is I can hear a slight change in my voice... this is so awesome... :thumbsup:

• Forum Moderator

Alex, it's a whole new world that you are entering. A much higher libido, more downstairs growth,little fuzzy hairs sprouting on your face and other places. Now, that's part of the many physical changes that you will be going through. The other side is changing from a some-what female minset to a male one. I guess it''s called male privledge. It's a whole different world. And, you've got a lot of stuff to learn. Probably the bath room issues are the hardest to cope with and over come. But, it will definately come the time when you can no longer enter the girls and you must use the mens. Go into the stall. Some guys say you gotta drop your pants all the way to the floor. Horse hockey, I refused to allow my clean pants get fouled on a nasty bathroom floor. I've never dropped mine and never have another dude question as to why my pants weren't flopped on the floor. lol

Don't forget to open your ladies door. Walk on the outside next to traffic. How to properly shake hands with a lady and or hug one.

But, hey you've got the rest of your male life to get all of this man-stuff together and having a loving woman[stephanie] standing next to you is always an advantage.

Mike

I feel like i must be really strange in the libido area as for me it's no changed at all. After people always telling me "It'll be higher" it's not been for me. At one point i thought it was actually lower, but i think i was just going through a weird spell.

Flint I have a trans guy friend who's basically said the same thing. I think it's just a generalization like most Hrt effects.

Meanwhile I'm mtf had a drastically reducing libido all year, started Hrt and now it's back with a vengeance. Go figure.

Yep, Alex's libido is just fine. Wow. :wub: He certainly knows how to treat a lady. :) I am sure your voice will get much lower soon my love, I think both our voices are in the androgynous range right now, is that what you think? I am afraid that I must predict that you will be losing hair from your head fairly soon judging from your father. You already have me beat on body hair, and so I figure you will continue to get more, and more. I think that we look like a straight hetero couple already, and it will look even more so in the future. It is so cool, and groovy! :)

hugs,

Stephanie

Guest ravenhawwk

Thanks Stephanie for the... Wow :wub:... I should be saying Wow :wub: to you ... and yeah I also think we look like a straight hetero couple already... that's so very cool... My voice seems to be my biggest issue... I am so grasping to hear any little changes at this point... I really have never thought my voice to be in the androgynous range... I have always thought it sounded girly... but that is awesome if you think my voice is sitting in that range... :) oh the hair, I still have hope that I will not end up bald like my father... I am prepared to shave my head if the need arises... I'd rather have no hair then a few sprigs.... :) lol... only time will tell... I was not dealt a good hand from the start... :)

Alex

Alex, do you have maternal uncles? Did your maternal grandfather go bald? The genes run down both sides of the family, so just your dad is no guarantee that you're doomed.

Guest ravenhawwk

Ravin, I think that is why I am keeping hope that baldness won't be my fate... I did ask my Mother a few weeks ago about the males in her family but she didn't know... :)

Hi Alex,

Yeah I also hope you don't go bald. I guess we will find out soon enough. I think that your manner of speaking is male, and that helps overcome the girlyness of pitch. I can tell that my girly mannerisms, and ways of speaking help me overcome the lower pitch. So I do think our speaking voices both get categorized by others as androgynous. Jennifer definitely has the deepest voice of the three of us, but she is starting to work on it more. I think that I need to practice singing in the female range, I just need to find a singer who sings near my upper range so I can emulate her. I have difficulties with Grace Slick, I believe she is in my range, but way too powerful sounding since I can't project that much. Robert Plant is no problem, but he is a guy. I am a bit higher than the lead singer of the Moody Blues, once again a guy. I lost my low range, and so I can't do Doors songs anymore. Any suggestions? From anyone?

In any case, I am anxious to hear your lowering voice now that you are starting to notice a change under T. As you know I am still working on mine. My hair is improving fortunately, I just need more conditioner. The coconut oil doesn't stay oily when it is not warm enough, and so I need something else.

Alex my love, what is your opinion regarding our respective voices? I am both curious, and self conscious. And self critical. :unsure:

hugs for all, kisses for Alex, :wub:

Stephanie

Guest ravenhawwk

Stephanie my love, You have such a softness and feminine quality to your voice and mannerisms and I think that helps you a lot... when we are talking I hear more female than androgynous... :wub: I on the other hand still confuse the crap out of most people... I guess it's to be expected since I am still early on in my transition... :) Did you do the hair treatment I sent the link for... sending many kisses to you Stephanie :wub:

Hi boyfriend,

Thank you so much for your kind words, and much needed feedback on my voice. I think that you are right, my voice nowadays does get accepted as female rather than androgynous. I am just surprised that it has changed so much. I know that I always do try to bring my voice out of my chest, and into my head to some degree, but somehow or other HRT seems to have shifted my overall range as well. That is not a typical HRT effect for MTFs, but I will have to say I am very pleased about it. It makes things easier that's for sure.

Your voice tone has female qualities, but your manner of speaking is male, which in my opinion brings it into an androgynous range. In person, I think that you will agree, you are accepted almost universally as male. No real problem there. On the phone though, until the T brings the pitch down, you can still confuse the crap out of people trying to gender you. Too androgynous. Fortunately you FTMs do usually receive HRT help with your voice. So once it starts lowering your voice, and brings male resonance into the picture, you will no longer get misgendered on the phone. You will also feel more comfortable speaking in public in general. I don't think you will get as chatty as me though. :unsure:

I need to do the hair treatment, but first I need to go shopping today. I am out of food again. Organic mayo is cheaper at Trader Joes, so I will go to Napa for that, and while I am in the "big city" I will see if I can get some lipstick and/or mascara. I want to look better when you take a new photo of me for my profile. I am anxous to hear how your voice sounds now that you are getting some T effects. Groovy!

love, hugs, and kisses, :wub:

Stephanie

Guest Kai Reddtail

the first thing I noticed was hair growth.Hair on my arms got thicker, then my legs, then my 'stache started to slowly grow in. I have noticed some downstairs growth, but it doesn't seem dramatic to me. And then my voice started to change.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ravenhawwk

So I did my 7th injection of T yesterday... when I started my journey I tried to do a video but I couldn't bare to watch myself... so I have been taking a photo and doing an audio recording every week... I really noticed a difference this week with my voice... I had an incident yesterday with my Mom on the phone... I guess during our conversation I said something like "you really have to work on that"... meaning using the correct pronouns when referring to Stephanie and myself, but I didn't say it to hurt her feelings or make her cry but that is exactly what happened... she kept telling me she is trying and this is all new to her... later in the conversation I asked "what is it about my voice"... she stated that I was so matter of fact and sarcastic... I know I am not as emotional as I use to be.... but I still feel like I am the same loving kind person, it's just that I don't have to hide myself anymore... I am damned either way I either tell her what's happening even though she doesn't understand, or I don't say anything at all and she thinks I am leaving her out of the loop, there is no winning in this situation... Stephanie is that how I am really coming across to people... matter of fact and sarcastic?

:)

Alex

No, you are wonderful and for a rugged guy you are very sensitive. I think that your matter of fact method of talking (typical for guys) is combining with your deeper voice to kinda scare her a bit. She is just not used to hearing that. I am sure she will adapt in time. At least she is more accepting than Jennifer's parents. You know how that is for her, and with her so close to surgery now. :unsure:

I love how your voice is changing. :thumbsup: I never hear sarcasm in your speaking, or words. Despite your rugged good looks, you are sensitive, and compassionate. And love-able. :wub:

I think your mom will find it easier over time. Transition is a time to adapt to a new life, not just for us, but for those around us. For some it takes longer than others. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with you though. :wub::wub: Oops, teenage girl distracted mode. LOL.

Back on topic, so what are the other changes that you have encountered with HRT so far besides your deepening voice?

hugs for all, and kisses for Alex,

Stephanie

• Forum Moderator

Hi Alex,

Sometimes people project their expectations and stereotypes as well when their perceptions of us start to change. Many women see men as more sarcastic and cold so hear what they expect to hear. Also when my voice was changing rapidly I had less inflection and less range than before. I've always had a modulated voice with formal training in speaking as well as winning speech competitions in high school and college so it was a big change. In the beginning of that time my daughter frequently accused me of being more aggressive or speaking harshly to her when I was not. We've discussed it since -it wasn't that my words were different-or my behavior more aggressive -but they sounded different in that voice without the tones I had used in the past.

Also found myself unconsciously straining my voice to up-speak to her. I'd realize my throat hurt and why but had to make an effort not to do it. We really have a new instrument in our voices when they change a lot-mine changed radically. Far more than I anticipated. And I had to learn to use it because it was different and what I said sounded different. Add to that the differences in the way people perceive men and women and it can get complex.

Takes a lot of time for us to work through our own changes and those around us who love us to figure out who we are now. Sometimes letting their own fears color what they see as well. But in time it does work out with good communication.

How you speak will probably change as well-not just voice but speech pattern-may already be doing so. For awhile the decades of socialization would kick in when I had a conversation with someone and I knew I actually sounded like a gay guy though I am not. I just let myself evolve naturally and the improper socialization fell away so that it doesn't happen anymore and the gay guys in the city are no longer flirting as they very obviously did for awhile. I wasn't offended-it just told me my signals were still not 100% straight male.

This whole thing actually takes a long time but it can be fascinating to watch it unfold once you decide to just sit back and enjoy the ride because there is no good way to rush it and still be true to yourself.

Johnny