• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shirts For The Vertically Challenged And Rotund

Guest StrandedOutThere

Guest StrandedOutThere

Button down shirts. I want one. I can't find one that fits me. A standard men's medium fits in the arms and shoulders, but I can't button it because I've got a bit o' belly fat. If I go up to a large or extra large, the sleeves are WAY too long. My neck is 15.5 inches. I'm 40 inches around at the chest and like 42 inches around at my widest point.

I'm a big boy.

...but there are definitely other dudes my size or bigger.

There are Big and Tall stores, but I wish they were Big or Tall. I'm not tall. It'd be easier to find a shirt that would button if I were taller than 5'6", but I'm not. 5'6" is what I'm working with.

Oh...and it doesn't help that all the shirts are 7 feet long. This is even the case for shirts that aren't designed to be tucked in. Are all short guys supposed to be thin? Are all big guys supposed to be tall? I'm aware that most bioguys don't have hips, but my problems with button down shirts arise long before I start worrying about hips. It's not like my gut is massive though. It's a little paunch. That's all.

Where's a little round fella supposed to get a shirt?! This is the one piece of traditional masculine attire that I have been denied. I thought that chest surgery would fix that. Nope.

BTW, I did find that you can custom order dress clothes from JC Penny. That was useful. However, I'd like to be able to buy something like this:

A shirt!!

It looks like I need to get down to a size that has been judged appropriate for a man my height. I have until August to be able to dress myself. That's when my sister is getting married. It's never too soon to start obsessing.

Guest Elizabeth K

I was a big guy, at 236 pounds and I wore a 46L suit coat. My shirts were 17 1/2 neck, 35 sleeve. This fit my 44" chest (errr... before certain changes).

My shirts came off the rack - fit fine. So you can start there - with what is on the rack.

Shirt Sizing Chart Size---S------------M-----------L------------XL----------XXL

Neck (in)--------------------14-14.5--15-15.5---16-16.5----17-17.5---18-18.5

Chest (in)-------------------34-36-----38-40------42-44------46-48-------50-52

Regular Sleeve (in)------32-33-----33-34------34-35------35-36-------36-37

Tall Sleeve (in)------------33-34-----34-35------35-36------36-37-------37-38

So the 42" chest is the problem as it puts you in the L (large) size which equals the 16 and 16 1/2 neck size - and I guarantee you the 34" sleeve is way too long.

Shortening the sleeve length is a simple job for alteration shop, the neck size is not easy to alter.

So you need to get down to a 38-40 chest or buy really blousy, loose fitting shirts to fit your neck size - and you will probably have to have the sleeves shortened. The shirt tail length? If it bothers you that can easily be altered at the same time.

OKAY - hints

Casual shirts are usually size s-m-l-xl-xxl

Dress shirts are custom sized - by neck size first then by sleeve length. Chest is never given.

So you are probably looking to find a 15 1/2 x 33 dress shirt. This MAY fit if it is loose cut (blousey) - avoid shirts that say 'tailored' or 'trim' fit.

You may have to alter the sleeve length. But ALWAYS try them on first - never buy anything without a good fit. Shirts do not shrink much, if at all, these days. The exception would be the cheaper imported casual shirts.

I hope this helps.

Lizzy - and I now buy 18-20W and have a 37" chest to worry about - hee hee

Guest StrandedOutThere

Thanks, Lizzy. I'm going to have to find out where to get alterations done. One of my friends has to get her jeans altered. I'll find out where she goes.

It blows my mind that sleeve length is "easy" to alter. I can't imagine pulling clothes apart, cutting on them, and still ending up with something that looks like a shirt. Impressive...

I used to have tiny shoulders. The upper body bulk I've put on from working out (with the help of T) has made shirt shopping much easier. Now I need to lose some weight. :(

I have the opposite problem when looking for pants - all big guys are short!

I shouldn't even say this but I am big enough to squah anyone who laughs - I don't want to see the person who can wear those 50 - 29 pants, make mine 50 -34 or longer!

I wear an 18 3/4 collar so I move up to the XXXL and the shoulders are just a bit wide for me so I can get buy with a regular sleeve length - if the shoulders fit, I'd need a tall.

But being 6'4" I don't have the same trouble with too much shirt tail!

Also I have more of a well developed barrel shaped belly so when I get my 54XL Jacket - it still won't button! :angry:

Now you understand why I am trying to loose weight!

Love ya and good luck,

Sally

Guest StrandedOutThere
I have the opposite problem when looking for pants - all big guys are short!

I shouldn't even say this but I am big enough to squah anyone who laughs - I don't want to see the person who can wear those 50 - 29 pants, make mine 50 -34 or longer!

I wear an 18 3/4 collar so I move up to the XXXL and the shoulders are just a bit wide for me so I can get buy with a regular sleeve length - if the shoulders fit, I'd need a tall.

But being 6'4" I don't have the same trouble with too much shirt tail!

Also I have more of a well developed barrel shaped belly so when I get my 54XL Jacket - it still won't button! :angry:

Now you understand why I am trying to loose weight!

Love ya and good luck,

Sally

I have always been very, very confused about the difference between shirts for big guys and pants for big guys. It is NO problem to find large waist pants with a 30 inch leg. The thing is that when you find the shirt to go with it, the arms are 35 inches long. WHAT?!! I have never seen a big dude with 30 inch legs and 35 inch long arms. There are enough larger Americans that you'd think someone would realize that getting bigger around doesn't make your arms grow. Shorter bio guys have complained about similar things. It looks like a tailor is the only answer. I talked to a friend whose boyfriend is my height and has a little "bulk". Same deal. Long sleeve, button-down shirts are a nightmare. He ends up rolling up the sleeves a lot of the time.

We can all diet together!

You know what fashion trend among younger guys is freaking me out? Skinny jeans. What's with the skinny jeans? They only look good on a certain type of frame. I really liked when baggy was the "in" thing. That's me. Baggy jeans. I am a skater boy who is trying to look more professional.

Guest Adam_Mazur

HEY I AM ALL ABOUT THAT DIET THING I SWEAR TO GOD I THINK I AM JUST GETTING BIGGER BY THE DAYS. HOURS... MINUTES.... IT IS HORRIBLE. I went and bought several new pair of shorts for this summer and i think i look good in them so has other people but Gosh darned!!!! the clothes are huge. Plus I have a gym membership and I been walking on a trail to lose the weight. ITS JUST NOT COMING OFF!!!!!!!

ADAM

Guest Pól_Eire

Another option for you if the shirt isn't that nice and you're just wearing it in an every day casual kind of way is to roll the sleeves up to just below your elbows. If it's folded up neatly, no one is going to know how long it is.