• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Study: Many TG University Students In U.K. Feel Harassed

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

I don't find this too surprising but some of the facts would have more value if they were put into context - eg if only 2 in ten students feel safe on campus what is the figure for the whole population? Does this vary between different universities?

There are some bold statements here but little useful data!

I would agree that staff training is likely to be poor but one should also realise that it is the nature of LGBT people to be somewhat more sensitive as a group than the general population to social influences (I know I am even though I am generally very relaxed. My hearing at times can be hypersensitive to comments).

It may also be the case that the main people taking time to respond may well be the ones with the biggest problems

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

It certainly is a pity if true. We could say many of the same things for many US universities although i like to think that is changing.

It is certainly an improvement over 45 years ago.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

I agree, Tracy, that the study seems to have several flaws, and lacks data, not to mention the small sample size. I tend to take such studies with more than a few grains of salt.

Carolyn Marie

Guest princesstess

Still this is the freaking 21st Century. By now you'd think we've be fully accepted; especially by educated millennials... Sad really. I had to put up with harassment in community college in the late 80's. sad that thirty years later it still happens.

Still this is the freaking 21st Century. By now you'd think we've be fully accepted; especially by educated millennials...

Seems to me it is about self perception rather than objective realities.

I can just look at general beliefs within the community about non acceptance it seems obvious that trans people would report feeling harassed.