• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

4 years sober

Guest PainterByNameOnly

Guest PainterByNameOnly

Hello all,

Just got 4 years sober today and finally came out to my sponsor about being transgender. Hopefully this year will be a big turning point for me as this is the first time I have been 100% honest with my sponsor about who I am. I wanted to thank everyone for the support I have found here as I don't think I would have made it to 4 years without this group nor would I have the courage to open up to my sponsor. Thanks again

Painter

• Admin

Big time congratulations. I am 6 years and 4 months, again, and it was the Trans* issue of honesty that did it for me too, you will have a much easier time being out and open in the program, but it will be worth the load off you mind. You do have to balance the alcohol and the Trans* a bit as I found out, but most people are great with it.

• Forum Moderator

Congratulations on 4 years of sobriety. That is great but perhaps not as great as being honest with your sponsor. I actually mentioned my issues to my sponsor early on but he basically dismissed them. The great fact was that i had actually opened up. Later at 5 years i was actually honest to myself and others about who i am. That openness in the rooms of AA has helped so much in self acceptance and the struggle against shame, guilt and fear.

If we can keep growing in honesty we can make spiritual progress.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations painter. I agree that you Re taking it to the next level in your spiritual as well as tg journey. Total honesty can be a great burden lifted and a new source of spiritual energy. No more investing in fear or deception....

Btw, it was over five years for me to come out to a wonderful sponsor....closets are for clothes :-)

Michelle