• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

AA trans* pamphlet, proposed

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I thought i would post this and would appreciate feedback as i've been asked to do some talks in the area.

Thanks

A. Should we update the pamphlet “A.A. and the Gay/Lesbian Alcoholic”?

(Final Conference Agenda Item VI-C)

Background

There has been interest expressed from
our fellowship to develop literature for transgender and gender nonconforming alcoholics. An ad hoc committee formed in Area 72 Western Washington State brought forth many ideas including the distinction between ‘gender’ which refers to socially created roles
of men and women, and ‘sex’ that refers to biological characteristics which define humans
as female or male. They also cited many issues that transgender and gender non-conforming alcoholics face in AA and included a list of
13 current pamphlets that feature special populations in our fellowship. There was a similar concern from Southern California although their request asked to update the current recovery pamphlet “AA and the Gay/ Lesbian Alcoholic”, P-32, to include the entire GLBT community. Our Trustees Committee has sent a request to the conference committee on literature to consider updating the pamphlet AA and the Gay/Lesbian Alcoholic.

The Pros

It has been decades since this pamphlet was last updated. Much like periodically updating the story section of the Big Book, we need to ensure that the stories found in this pamphlet are ones that a newcomer or someone not yet in AA would identify with today.

Our “special focus” literature can reach people that other types of AA literature cannot. When looking at our literature, public service announcements, and videos it’s critical we focus on the “intended audience”. Just as prospects may call Intergroup, for some this pamphlet
is their first meeting directory – without both the newcomer might never find our life saving message.

This is a good opportunity to add more stories in the pamphlet that include all members of the GLBT (gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered) community. Currently the pamphlet only includes stories of gay men and women.

Most every AA meeting includes visitors trying to decide if they are alcoholic or if AA will work for them. These potential members may use
any difference to reason that AA won’t work for them. Updating this pamphlet will make it easier for those in the GLBT community to see they fit in AA.

Our Big Book says, “we are people who normally would not mix” and this is especially true when someone is a little “different”
from the others. But the rewards of helping alcoholics identify that they belong is immense! Group unity grows stronger, the person with special needs is included and respected as a fully participating member of the group, and everyone’s sobriety is strengthened.

I heard a story that reinforces how important the “intended” audience issue is in AA. A woman at her second meeting was unsure if AA was for her because she was a lesbian and unsure other members would accept her. While getting coffee she noticed the current pamphlet in the literature rack. Although too timid to actually take the pamphlet, the fact that this pamphlet was in the rack helped her see that she was welcome in AA.

The Cons

AA about for Transgendered or Gender Non-Conforming alcoholics should be its own pamphlet and not part of the Gay/Lesbian pamphlet.

We already have too many “special interest” pamphlets. The spiritual principle of unity found in our first Tradition makes it clear that giving up one’s sense of uniqueness is required for an alcoholic to recover. The program of action in the Big Book is a solution that will work for any

alcoholic, regardless of individual differences. Our 12 Steps don’t just work for certain groups, and our fellowship is filled with a wide diversity of people.

Newcomers should be directed to a sponsor and the program of action found in the Big Book. We have so many different pieces of literature today that a newcomer may have no idea where to find our directions for recovery. We need to stop producing more literature that points out our differences and focus on our unity.

We need to help newcomers identify with
what they have in common with other members and not what’s different. Alcoholics Anonymous needs to focus less on special interest literature and more on leading new members to the solution. In today’s world where others are saying the 12 steps are outdated we need to do all we can to focus on our program of action.

Should update this pamphlet? What does your group think?

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

I go for the idea of a separate pamphlet or some other medium of communication from the GLB pamphlet.

The literature though would be aimed at current members / potential Sponsors about 70% and new or potential members only 30% which is a departure from the usual order of things. I know that my groups accept me, but some older men are a bit nervous and shy sometimes. On my side of the picture is the need to distinguish what parts of my Trans* life relates to my Alcoholism and "on the table" or should be kept to just a Sponsor / Sponsee setting if even there.

The focus needs to be on inclusion and and my own view links this to Bill W's statement in Chapter 5 about people with problems other than Alcohol who can recover if they possess the ability to be honest. It is necessary to the non-trans members that they recognize the element that Honesty plays in our Trans* lives.

Our adventures as Trans* people do parallel the struggles of other people where there are other conditions in their lives that must be treated so that they can be part of the AA fellowship. WPATH guidelines about dealing with treatable, underlying issues of the person which include addictions before a treatment plan for GD can be best formulated apply to many things today and they are related to our choice of a medicine for a disease no one had diagnosed.

Guest Chris546

My opinion is that it should be updated to AA and LGBT. AA has some great literature out. To say that the should separate LGB and T may be ineffective way to get the offer out people already identify with in this case, LGBT. Pamphlets of AA literature is generally for new comer in AA and should always be made to be welcoming.

When in AA you find many little sayings, like "Keep it Simple" and keeping it straight forward and easily to identify with at a glance. When a newcomer finds AA and comes to the meetings with a simple desire to stop drinking there is a 12 step program that is very simple to find sobriety from. The biggest thing about a new comer is to get them to come back.

Clarissa Jo

• Forum Moderator

It seems quite possible that there will simply be a revision of the Gay/Lesbian pamphlet. In speaking with a member of the literature committee from national headquarters in NY i found out it hasn't been revised since 1984. Adding a T and making a GLBT with perhaps a Q and some other abbreviations might be plenty. It would certainly be a step towards both welcoming a new person and educating the old-timers that these people are to be welcomed as any other person seeking sobriety.

I was hoping that there could be a separate gender non conforming pamphlet. I was never gay until i transitioned and that is the case with many trans* individuals. There is also the question of the difficulty of honesty if one actually gets into a real time meeting. If you are verbally abused or worse or even if you fear that might happen it can prevent you from finding sobriety. I was so fragile as a newcomer and a nasty word would have been enough to send me back to the bottle.

My home group has literature that you walk past as you enter the meeting room. It was important for me to see a pamphlet that said Gay and Lesbian alcoholics. It took me a few meetings and a bit of privacy for me to grab one. I was disappointed to see how little i was included. 5 years later i came out to that group and was still not sure of the reception i would get. We need to be mentioned somewhere in the literature.

It seems that is going to happen and according to the folks i spoke with from national it will be within a year or two. It seems the form is mostly what is being debated.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I wanted to add this information for those of us in the Washington Area. I had the opportunity to meet Craig at the NERAASA conference and he did an excellent job of speaking for a trans* pamphlet. If you are able to support him at this conference i'm sure he would welcome that support.

By the way this note was sent to the tgaa website which any alcoholic here might want to explore.

Hugs,

Charlize

"Hello my name is Craig and I am an alcoholic.

I presented at NERAASA this year on this topic. Area 13 is having a mini-conference and I will again be presenting on this topic. The format is pro/con. The position I was assigned is con. I will be presenting a case that a separate pamphlet should be created. If any member in the Washington DC area would like to attend the details are below...

2015 Mini Conference, Saturday, April 11, 2015, Seekers Church, 276 Carroll Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20012 -- Near the Takoma Metro Station. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m.

In Love and Service,

Craig "