• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trans-hobbies

Guest JaneShannon

Guest JaneShannon

Good Day to all in internet land.

I was chatting with my brother the other day, and he noted I kind of make a funny girl. He said I like boy music, I like cars, and I do a lot of stereotypically male things.

So here is my question, as you transition do you have to leave your old hobbies and interests behind? Do I have to stop auto-crossing my car?

I do find I am picking up new interests--I find fashion much more interesting now. Matter of fact, male fashion is totally boring!

The follow up questions is "what do women do?" My life, to this point, has been really in a male dominated world. As I explore more femininity I keep asking myself, what hobbies do women pursue?

Thanks,

Jane Shannon

Guest kristendk

That's an interesting topic, Jane.

That's partly why I put myself in the two-spirit category, queer range, or MT? as opposed to straight-on MTF.

I like some traditionally male things (math, engineering) and some traditionally female things (cooking, dancing).

I've been interested in female fashion for a long time (way more interesting than male fashion to me), but would feel more free to explore it during and after transition.

I still love dancing, but the thought of dressing up as a man rather than a woman to go out is now depressing, even though I did the former quite a bit in my un-self-discovered years.

I'm pretty much coming to the conclusion that what you like to do really doesn't define your gender any more than your biological sex does (my mother said I didn't want to do particularly girly things as a child, but I don't think that makes me any less trans*), but if whatever transition you are making or have made opens you up to new interests, that just makes you a more interesting person. There are plenty of ostensibly cis people with traditionally "opposite-gender" interests. (Either that or I'm all wrong and the world is full of trans people who don't realize it! LOL)

Kristen

* I'm definitely having a confused, questioning, uncertain, perhaps even doubting, day today, so I'm even less sure of anything today than usual.

Guest BrittanyMarie

i really dont believe that what your hobbies are has anything to do with your gender. ive known many women that love working on cars, playing sports and other such (Male) hobbies. one example i can thing of off the top of my head is Danika Patrick. She is running with all the men on the track and proving that she can hang. hey thats what she wants to do,, Rock on Girl.

personally for me i would still love to learn to Rally race.

its your hobbies do what makes you happy.

Guest Eva Marie

To me my past made me who I am so I work on cars, love football (American style) and other "male things", plus I can cook, sew (little), clean house....And I think men cloths are ugly and always wanted to wear girls/women stuff almost my hole life. My point is your past made you who you are. Just because you are (becoming) the person you (want/have) to become, you can't forget your past.......My mother said the same to me until I pointed out my sisters didn't do girl stuff either. And now my sisters hate me (not really) because I wear 6" heels and dress better then them, and I have 3 sisters. So like what you want and do as you will do to stay happy.....Press on with pride and enjoy life and not worry about what cis women do or don't do, cause once they find out you can work on cars you'll have lots of female friends and maybe some male ones too.

Guest LesleyAnne

I really don't think hobbies define your gender either. I love working with metal, welding, plasma cutting. I also am pretty fair at woodworking, building, electrical work, plumbing etc.

And here's the kicker for you...........my grand-mom (now long since deceased) was an accomplished cabinet maker and finish carpenter. She sewed, and made all of her own furniture (and in her day there was no such thing as power equipment) upholstered it, and all. She made all my mom's sofa's, easy chairs, and upholstered rocking chairs that were like today;s lazy-boy chairs.

She was an excellent cook, but she only ate fritos, and drank iced tea. Plus she smoked a pack of viceroy's a day.

She weighed in at just under 110 pounds soaking wet.

I really think most of my love for doing the things I love to do came from her, sooooo.......if you love a lot of supposedly masculine hobbies, and crafts, football, cars, racing or whatever then all I can say is "You go Girl!!!" Enjoy your life, and whatever makes you happy, and for me that's also being a Girl!! :wub:

Hugs to all :friends:

• Admin

I had to stay on the ground back in 2013 when we put up the portable radio towers for Ham Radio Field Day because I was 5 months post-op and my safety harness could have REALLY hurt if it had had to do its job that year. I was not the only woman though in the exercise that worked on getting the stations up and running on emergency style power. No real change from my male days at all.

I spent several days putting some new back doors on my church's social hall and storage rooms as well. I still know how to use every one of my tools from the boy days, and will be taking a welding class in a month or two.

I also do wood carving, and may take up stone carving just to see if I can pull it off. And yes there is a ton of Girl stuff I love to do also.

You fit the pattern for a Trans* person.

Guest noeleena

Hi,

Youd find it hard to define my gender or say im male or female in your context of does your gender be you in all things .

i was brought up by My Mother and i did what ever there was no male or female role , it was this needs doing so we did it ,

i did and do not put things or jobs or work in a male or female box ,of cause there are details that males can do better and the same for female , so if we compliment each other then theres no issues .

at a very young age i build sheds fixed bikes built all sorts of things did sewing on the old no power machines did gardening and looked after our big yard later i worked on trucks heavy 15 tons repaired heavy gear yet did dainty little things .

not much has changed for myself over the years 67 ,years would you ask am i a male or female what difference does or would it make none to me not a scrape so do you see me as a male or female by what i do , or do you see me as a person who encompases both aspects of who i am as a whole person ,

So lets take away this male and female what you left with, a person who has no gender and nothing to prove and your not bound by some who think you should be one or the other , get your head around this then your free ,

When your free your life is free and you fly high as a bird ......

...noeleena...

• Forum Moderator

I was a bit concerned after i transitioned because i wasn't sure 'what to do". I found out that all i have to do is what i've always done. I'm a feminist so running the sawmill, cutting firewood, building a barn or knitting all works. I do get some looks when i fire off a chainsaw with a single if i'm in my skirt but i'm not going to change just because some bozo can't fit a board in his car. Why don't they bring their own saws?

Hugs,

Charlize

What hobbies or skills are for which gender is defined by culture, not by innate identity.

I'm a rabid football fan but love talking about fashions. I didn't give up my male activities but added some feminine ones.

:)

Good Day to all in internet land.

I was chatting with my brother the other day, and he noted I kind of make a funny girl. He said I like boy music, I like cars, and I do a lot of stereotypically male things.

So here is my question, as you transition do you have to leave your old hobbies and interests behind? Do I have to stop auto-crossing my car?

I do find I am picking up new interests--I find fashion much more interesting now. Matter of fact, male fashion is totally boring!

The follow up questions is "what do women do?" My life, to this point, has been really in a male dominated world. As I explore more femininity I keep asking myself, what hobbies do women pursue?

Thanks,

Jane Shannon

Absolutely NOT! I know women that that do all kinds of 'manly' things and most 'guys' think it's cool. Working on cars, riding motorcycles shooting and such. It's up to you to determine what kind of woman you want to be. Don't let anyone try to control anything about you!

I was actually discussing this topic with my gender therapist the other day. Women do everything that men do these days....

Guest JaneShannon

I actually think (American) men are starting to be the one's missing out on things in the hobby end these days. I do agree, women have really opened up hobbies and interests. Women are increasing seen in traditionally male activities, but men seem to stay away from traditionally female interests. For example, I love scrap booking, but it is hard to find a masculine scrap book...

Guest alissa16

I have always and will continue to enjoy the outdoors and nature camping, hiking, biking, nature watching,

canoeing and sailing. Either gender can equally enjoy the out of doors and nature.

I do contemplate how women perform in these activities and look forward to an improved "me" doing these

hobbies in the near future.

Guest Sarah1967

I will always be interested with my ham radio computer an electronics hobbies but I'm also interested in a lot of girl things too :)

• Admin

On another fun note about what constitutes male and female activities. I went to the Renaissance Faire in my area last Saturday, and in one "Guild Township" where they were demonstrating Elizabethan Era jobs and crafts, there were men doing the thread spinning and weaving, as well as pottery making. In the fabric area, it was the women who were dying the wool for the thread, and a couple of women were making wooden household utensils. Both men and women were doing sewing as well. Men's and Women's work seems to have changed in the last couple of years you would have thought.

Hi Jane,

Oooh, good topic! I don't think you need to stop autocrossing your car. I used to compete in SCCA Solo II events in the Washington D.C. region, as well as other local autocrosses. There is a reason for ladies classes, lots of women like to compete too! Some women are competitive enough that they compete in open classes even. I don't compete anymore, but I still show off some of my skills in driving my little sports car. My boyfriend gets turned on by my driving abilities. :) I also don't weight train anymore (I used to compete in bodybuilding), but I stay in shape, and give advice on bodybuilding/nutrition to my weight training boyfriend Alex. I was into fashion before, but now I concentrate on women's attire, and I am much, much happier. :) I was not ever really into firearms, but I am still highly skilled in them since I carried them for a living for a long time. I still enjoy martial arts, although I don't have the stomach to use it to cause harm anymore, even in self defense. And so I have been teaching my boyfriend Alex in the art of Jeet Kune Do lately. He is a fine student, and soon he will be able to protect me if it should ever become necessary. I haven't really changed my hobbies too much, but I am more honest about what I really like, and what I only did for others to see. I am less competitive, and such. I find it freeing to only do stuff that I really like. :)

hugs,

Stephanie

Guest LesleyAnne

Well in my humble opinion when reading all the above it simply boils down to one thing TRANSGIRLS are the absolute best, most well rounded, versatile girls on the Planet!!! :thumbsup::):superman: :score:

We can do anything better :welldone:

Guest Angelgrlsue

You really do not have to give up your hobbies, even if they are male oriented. I know several genetic women that work on cars and other male hobbies. I did not give up my hobbies, gardening, baking, crafts, music, board games, computers, aerobics, travel, museums.

Angelgrlsue

• 1 month later...
Guest Melissa~

Bumping this thread, I just completed one of my hobby tasks, building a new computer. It's sweet, as in sweet computers by Melissa.

There's a video and all, but since it really doesn't tie into forum guides, no link here, though one might find it by searching.

fyzmxh-4.png

Guest Jo-88

Absolutely not! You can keep your hobbies... that has nothing to do with your gender and everything to do with what you are exposed to growing up and what you are *mentally predisposed too (some of us are artistic, some analytical, etc). If you grow up riding dirt bikes and working on cars then your going to still like to do those things after you transition. Attempting to change your likes and dislikes to fit into the stereotypical male/female boxes wouldn't be living an authentic life in my opinion. You have to do what feels right and what makes you happy, there are no restrictions on this except for our own insecurities, but we can't let that hold us back.

Besides penises are used for two things, urinating, and sex... they don't make you a faster driver, a better mechanic, a better hunter, a better fisherman, a better pilot, or a better person in any other way. Basically knock yourself out girl and if someones judges, try to educate them, and if you can't then thats their loss.