• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

"I forgot"

JJ

• Forum Moderator

In the five years my daughter has worked at a resort her co-workers have watched me change because I sometimes drive her to work and go to different events held there. There was a big one the day before Easter I went to with my granddaughter for a few hours where my daughter and her co-workers were working. Sometimes around people I know are aware of my history I have passing thoughts about what they think about me now because they once knew me when I was so differnt and some were awkward with me especially iearlier in transition when I was neither fish not fowl.

My daughter came home a couple of days ago and told me about a conversation she thought I would be interested to hear because it was in part about me. She and a co-worker (who grew up in this conservative area) who was at the Easter event too were talking and she mentioned how much her father's children all looked like him. The woman was mystified by that statement and said to her that she thought my daughter was my only child. My daughter had to explain she was talking about her other father and not me. The woman then said "JJ is so much like any other man now I forgot he was ever any different and that you had another father".

I did grin when my daughter told me. In this area family and past are discussed a lot and now my daughter is having to adjust to how she talks because people really have come to see me as her father and sometimes look mystified when she mentions something about her father that just doesn't seem to apply to me. Like the fact that he was 6'5" and an alcoholic. And died a couple of years ago.

I have noticed in most cases people have just flipped a switch in their perceptions now from female to male rather than trans or anything they are not comfortable with and I've become just a regular guy. Which is what I wanted but didn't dare dream when I started this journey. I'm still different from the locals in many ways but that is because I'm not a local but have been educated and lived in a different culture rather than gender related and they seem to be fine with it. It took time and work but it was worth it.

Johnny

• Forum Moderator

Johnny that is a wonderful story of acceptance. Gee i thought you were 6'5". You certainly are in my thoughts of you.

Hugs,

Charlize

Guest LesleyAnne

That's totally awesome Johnny!

Like it or not I think most of us if not all of us just want to be accepted as who we are, what a wonderful feeling. I wish it for us all :wub: .