• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Inclusiveness

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

This is a quote from the daily Grapevine that seemed to fit both experiences in my continuing recovery from addiction and my time here at Laura's. I share so much with both groups of people and am learning to appreciate the beautiful humanity of all.

Hugs,

Charlize

458.gif
May 25

"Newcomers are approaching AA at the rate of tens of thousands yearly. They represent almost every belief and attitude imaginable. We have atheists and agnostics. We have people of nearly every race, culture and religion. In AA we are supposed to be bound together in the kinship of a common suffering. Consequently, the full individual liberty to practice any creed or principle or therapy whatever should be a first consideration for us all. Let us not, therefore, pressure anyone with our individual or even our collective views. Let us instead accord each other the respect and love that is due to every human being as he tries to make his way toward the light. Let us always try to be inclusive rather than exclusive; let us remember that each alcoholic among us is a member of AA, so long as he or she so declares."

AA Co-Founder, Bill W., July 1965

"Responsibility Is Our Theme,"

The Language of the Heart

Guest Raya

"... each ... among us is a member ...so long as he or she so declares"

Would that it were so everywhere!

How can a bunch of drunks, who have had "the grave emotional difficulties" have such acceptance, while others fight over who gets to use the restroom?

I've never seen a rejection over "your not alcoholic enough" ...

Guest Lara-Saphire

Don't think I would have stayed sober and if that was true, I likely wouldn't have lived long enough to find Laura's, without that sort of philosophy!

Prejudices swept aside for a common good!

I have an idea for a new preamble for Laura's!!!

Goes something like this: Let us always try to be inclusive rather than exclusive; let us remember that each Transgendered member among us

is a member of Laura's Playground, so long as She, He or Other so declares.

Huggs

Lara

• Forum Moderator

This is definitely a bit off topic but i wanted to share a moment at a GLBT group i attend this winter. It usual is totally comprised of gay men who have been lovely and accepting towards me. They do lack certain perceptions however. When i told them that my first sponsor had said "there is a slip under every skirt" as i lifted the hem of my skirt to reveal a lovely slip they simply didn't get it.

We certainly are of all kinds and that is such a blessing.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

These great reflections about inclusiveness keep coming up. What a beautiful program.

At one time or another most A.A. groups go on rule-making benders. . . After a time fear and intolerance subside. [and we realize] We do not wish to deny anyone his chance to recover from alcoholism. We wish to be just as inclusive as we can, never exclusive.

— "A.A. TRADITION: HOW IT DEVELOPED," pp. 10, 11, 12

A.A. offered me complete freedom and accepted me into the Fellowship for myself. Membership did not depend upon conformity, financial success or education and I am so grateful for that. I often ask myself if I extend the same equality to others or if I deny them the freedom to be different. Today I try to replace my fear and intolerance with faith, patience, love and acceptance. I can bring these strengths to my A.A. group, my home and my office. I make an effort to bring my positive attitude everywhere that I go.

I have neither the right, nor the responsibility, to judge others. Depending on my attitude I can view newcomers to A.A., family members and friends as menaces or as teachers. When I think of some of my past judgments, it is clear how my self-righteousness caused me spiritual harm.

Hugs,

Charlize