• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

My Female Name Recognized By The Episcopal Church

VickySGV

• Admin

This coming Sunday, The Bishop Of the Episcopal Church Diocese Of Los Angeles in California will be at the parish church where I am a member of the church and of its Vestry (lay governing body of the parish church) to conduct the rites of Confirmation, Reception (from other Catholic churches) , and Affirmation Of Baptismal and Confirmation vows, all of which are just the Sunday work of a Bishop. I will be the one presented for the Affirmation, with a small twist to it. During my Affirmation of my Baptismal Covenant I will be using my name Vicky Ellen in place of my former male name under which I was first Baptized in 1973, and then I will also be Affirmed in my continuing Christian Service by Bishop Bruno.

When I am presented by my parish for the Sacrament, my rector will be telling the Bishop and congregation of the times in Scripture where various names were changed so that the person could lead a life in God’s service more appropriately. There is also the fact that people change names when they enter certain Holy Orders in the Church. Abraham (nee Abram), Sara (n. Sarai), Peter and Paul being four examples of Biblical name change that I do not have to dig for too deeply. I have asked to have the passage from The Book Of Samuel, where God tells him that God does not see a person as humans do included, since many Trans* people see this as applying to our situation when we feel that it is God’s Will that we transition and begin our new lives in the church.

I know there will be an effort coming up here soon at The Episcopal Church's National Convention to have a name change rite for Trans* people worked on by the Church, and an effort is beginning in England for the same thing. To us who are Trans*, our names, especially our TRUE NAMES, are very important, shucks, the right name is important to God as we are told in Genesis.

I am in a church where we are accepted, and it feels so good.

• Root Admin

This is as it should be. God looks to see what's in our hearts. Not what our bodies look like or the clothing we are wearing.

MaryEllen :)

• Forum Moderator

Vicky Ellen i am so happy for you and proud to know you. Your higher power is certainly using you to spread his love.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

That's wonderful, Vicky. You continue to be such a great ambassador for our community. Keep up the great work, and congratulations!

HUGS

Carolyn Marie