• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

ears pierced.

At the age of 47 I have never had my ears pierced but I want to get both done, can I do this? I have not come out yet. Don't want clip on anymore.

Guest Kenna Dixon

Of course you can!

I've always liked this quote:

"In your twenties, you worry about what people think about you. In your thirties you hope people are thinking well of you. In your forties you don't care what people think about you, and in your fifties you realize people aren't thinking about you."

I was in my sixties and not yet "out" when I had my ears pierced.

• Forum Moderator

I was in my 60's and was so happy. Little starting studs are just fine! Just tell folks you always wanted to get them done and let them stew in their own juices.

Hugs,

Charlize

I had my ears pierced when I was 40, if I remember right. I have been wearing earrings ever since, along with long hair. So okay, most folks thought I was a hippie for most of my life anyway (they were right of course). Nowadays though, the long blonde hair, and earrings look perfectly ordinary since I live full time as myself. I am putting my earrings in right now since I am getting ready for work this morning, and it feels wonderful, and I know my "peace sign" earrings look great with my outfit. :)

hugs,

Stephanie

• Admin

I had my first set done when I was 50, and the second piercings done two years later. A few people made short comments a single time each and moved on, and I did have a "cover story" which was 60% true for why the first set was done and by the second set, people were over it completely. By now I have 5 plastic "parts tray" boxes with earring sets in them.

Guest Laura Beth

I am 48 and I just got my ears pierced this past week. It was something I wanted to do since my teenage years but kept being put off. I am not out to a lot of people but I still went with the larger size stone on the earring.The earring is also surgical stainless steel like is used in hospitals for surgeries. When you get it done go to someplace that is inspected by the health board.

Danielle

Back in the day when I was a young Rocker, I wore dice and skulls. Later I let them grow shut.

My second wife and I got our upper ear cartilage pierced at the Arizona State Fair. (bad move) I got a horrible infection and gave that up. Ouch!

Time marches on, she became my ex. At the start of my new transition, my daughter and I got our ears pierced for her birthday. Mine were tiny stainless globes.

Piercing became a birthday tradition. The second year my son wanted them too. Piercing number two. Giggle.

He got teased by the dumb little boys at school and stopped wearing his skulls. My third and forth piercings gave me infection troubles so they closed.

Last year my son decided the boys didn't matter and we got pierced again. I never did like the forth holes so I only reopened the third. He now wears his cubic zerconia diamonds and his little girlfriends think he is all that!

I love to fill my ears with all kinds of hoops, dangles and posts. Sometimes it is six different ear rings. My own little jewelry shop. Giggle.

This past daughter's birthday she and I got our noses gemmed. Piercing is almost addicting. I'm fifty mmm, so any age to look sexy is good.

Those that may tease don't have the orbs to step out of the stereotypes box! Run with it, have fun with it! Hug. JodyAnn

Guest Kaylee

I actually had mine done only a few weeks ago at age 41. I did it in guy mode, and just went with 4mm stainless studs.

I'm sure people notice. I live a bit rural, and few guys have piercings out here as they do in the city. But as was said... I don't care what people think :)

Just do it... do it... do it till you're satisfied :)

Hugs,

Kay

Guest KerryUK

I was 40 when I had both ears pierced and wore them all of the time for 9 years before I decided that I needed to transition. During that time I only had one incident. I also had a ponytail and one evening while in a pub, this guy came up and started accusing me of being gay. I basically put him in his place and told him to F Off and go do something useful with his life and not be such a 'tool'. He later came up and apologised. So, wear your earrings with pride.

Kerry

Guest AllisonRae

Hi Rachelle68, Just got mine done a month ago at age 48. With my longer hair and wearing a ponytail at work folks just thought I was going hippie. The questions I did get I gave a honest answer too. That is that I had always wanted too and I have decided to make a few changes in my life. Not lying. I got white gold studs and abolutely love them!

Hugs,

Allison

• Admin

Word of warning if you get more than one piercing -- be sure you are gripping the front and back of the same earring when taking it out!! How do I know to give the warning? I just experienced the pain!! :blush::banghead:OUCH!!

When you get your ears pierced, DO be sure to follow the after care instructions carefully. They are there for a reason.

Word of warning if you get more than one piercing -- be sure you are gripping the front and back of the same earring when taking it out!! How do I know to give the warning? I just experienced the pain!! :blush::banghead:OUCH!!

When you get your ears pierced, DO be sure to follow the after care instructions carefully. They are there for a reason.

WAY OUCH!!! And don't double back one ear ring and loose the favorite one you missed. After that happened a time or two I stopped getting overly fond of certain sets. Loosing them happens regardless of the best preparation I guess. Unless you use super glue. Giggle.

Guest Kaylee

Yeah... ouch :\

My biggest problem so far is that I have always rubber my earlobes when they itch, and kind of pull off the bottom. I did it in my sleep a few times since getting pierced.... not such a great way to wake up I tell you what!

Guest AllisonRae

Don't feel bad Kaylee, a day after getting mine pierced I accidentally pulled the earring out of my right earlobe because I thought a bug had landed on my ear. Fainted twice trying to put it back in. Ended up having it re-pierced. Ugh what a nightmare.

Hugs,

Allison

• 3 weeks later...

I had mine done in 1969 by another TG person. In 1992 at a place called Casa Susanna in the Catskills of New York. I had 2 more holes to each ear added by Meryl Norman Cosmetics.

Pierced ears are a lot better than wearing those OLD-OLD clip on earrings.

Everyone have a lovely day.

Guest kristy1961

And of course, the consensus is a definite and resounding YES!! I had mine done at the age of 49. The only one that said anything about it was my wife with the statement "That's Gay". So if you can't risk hearing that from someone who is supposed to be your soul mate, then think twice. For me it was like Whatever, and I have not regretted my decision one little bit. I now have two on each side, and am considering an orbital piercingI love having pierced ears and being able to wear whatever I want.

Good Luck!

Funny, I've been thinking of doing the same thing lately. I had two piercings in one ear when I was younger (probably 20 years ago) but let the hole close after I got married (what is with these crazy wives? :hairpull: Anyway, I've been considering seeing if they can re-open the one side and then pierce the other. It'd be nice to start wearing some jewelry while out and about!

Courtney

Guest Kristol

Had mine done for my 50th birthday a couple months ago.

Be patient with the healing process. Don't fidget with the temporary rings the piercer puts in.

Soak each earlobe in a solution of 1/4 teaspoon of NON-iodized sea salt to 1 cup of hot tap water, the hotter the better but do not burn yourself, for at least 5 minutes in the morning and again in the evening.

it's slower and more tedious a healing process than one might think but dam it's worth it. Just picked up four more pairs today; little cameras, umbrellas, moons and suns. :)