• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Navel Piercings

Guest April63

Guest April63

What do you think about navel (belly button) piercings on guys?

I want one, but I think it's my girly side showing through. :)

I just don't want it to look feminine yet. Do you think I could get one and no insults or anything of that nature? A masculine belly button piercing... I haven't seen that many, but do you think it's possible?

April :P

April,

I'm sort of the wrong generation for advice on piercings of any kind - I'm still working on the idea of getting my ears pierced, but if I do there is a pair of antique diamond earrings that my mother and sister can not wear and they could be mine if I do!

I'm not sure that punching holes in your body really indicates anything about gender any more.

Love ya,

Seriously Senior Sally

Guest Donna Jean
What do you think about navel (belly button) piercings on guys?

I want one, but I think it's my girly side showing through. :)

I just don't want it to look feminine yet. Do you think I could get one and no insults or anything of that nature? A masculine belly button piercing... I haven't seen that many, but do you think it's possible?

April :P

Sure you can, April....It's more than possible...

I know a guy who has two nipple piercings and his belly button done...I can assure you that he is masculine looking and acting...Besides, who would see it?

I had just one ear pierced for 36 years and only got the other one done on New Years Day...I never had any snide remarks in all of those years....

Remember that these days tattoos and piercings are pretty much unisex any more! Male and female alike have both...If you want it, I wouldn't worry about it...get it!

That's my take on it, Hon!

HUGG

Donna Jean

Guest April63

If I go to the beach people will see it! I don't want to keep my shirt on when I could get a little tanner.

I know earrings are become more popular with guys, but there are still feminine and masculine rings. Nipple piercings are there for the bold guys (and women), but I think belly button piercings are still pretty much reserved for girls except for a few cases.

Just pierce em Sally!

April

Guest Little Sara

I don't think its reserved for girls. You might have that impression because the media made a lot of noise about Britney Spears getting it, but she's not exactly an example in feminity.

Ironically, from stories I've read in TG fiction, the more masculine ones are also the more sluttily-dressed ones, like Britney Spears. In G-11 Mistaken Identity, the more fishnet-and-mini-skirts kind of girls are revealed to be slightly more male than female soul-wise, but not enough to warrant them transitioning.

The protagonist - who starts off as male - (G-11) has the "most female soul" measured by the extremely advanced alien technology present there, at 82% female. And is far from sluttily-dressed.

I don't know how true this holds in real life. It seems to me that people who want to dress really really sexy in public fall in 2 categories:

1-Those who only like it as fashion, a way of expression.

2-Those who like manipulating men because of it.

Category #2 falls in-line with the fishnet-mini-skirts kinds in that story. Category #1 doesn't really.

Guest mia 1

It depends on your "crowd" you seem to be under peer pressure and personal pressure not to "come out" yet..so if you don't want your buddy's wondering don't get it..if you don't care what they think..get it !! It's will be a definite question mark among-st your friends..I say It's up to you........you know the consequences......Your friend always,, belly piercing or not...but I'm not on the beach......

Guest April63

Where I live, the more popular girls tend to have their belly buttons and noses pierced. Or at least one of the two. Fish nets? Not really, but miniskirts are definitely normal, even for the less popular girls. I think the less popular girls tend to get fewer body piercings, and leave it to the ears.

And yes, I don't want to come out and say that I'm a transsexual to everyone at my high school. But if I could hide it as a male piercing... Britney did make a lot of noise, and now a lot of girls get it pierced, but no boys. I just don't want it to be weird..

April

Guest Little Sara

I don't own any skirt that could qualify as 'mini', short maybe, but not mini. They're at least mid-thigh, more oftenly near the knee or over it. I see no point in wearing short save for getting someone a nosebleed, and that's not why I wear the clothes I do.

Guest mia 1
And yes, I don't want to come out and say that I'm a transsexual to everyone at my high school. But if I could hide it as a male piercing... Britney did make a lot of noise, and now a lot of girls get it pierced, but no boys. I just don't want it to be weird..
April

Weird? Doesn't that go back to your normal topic..but really don't be so conflicted wait on the belly piercing your button isn't going anywhere you can pierce it at a later date and still be the April you want to be..tomorrow isn't a neccesity.....

Guest Little Sara

As a side note. I pierced both my ears the first time on April 13th 2006. Exactly 3 years ago. This is what marked the start of my being full-time as a girl. I got a second piercing later (of both ears again), which had no real significance. The first one mattered a lot to me though.

I still wear the piercing studs most of the time.

Guest Elizabeth K

April I pieced both ears 25 years ago! No one CARES!

Pierce your darn belly button and enjoy life. Anyone asks, tell em you were drunk!

Lizzy

Guest Irielle

Hi April -

I had my navel pierced several years ago and love it and I'm a genetic boy. My hairdresser's cousin did it for me - he's a tattoo artist and piercer.

I wore a silver ring (it might have been stainless steel) for almost a year while it healed (it takes quite a while to completely heal) and then changed it because I wanted something gold. Now I wear a gold dumbell with a black pearl in a setting on the top and it's very pretty. It isn't dangly so it looks more masculine.

No one has said anything negative to me, not even at the gym when I'm in the pool or the sauna or shower, and I'm there a lot. I'm kind of a jock and in better shape than 95% of the guys there so that probably helps. (I hate being in the men's locker room but that's another story lol).

A few people have commented that it's unusual and they like it and asked me why I got it. I did it to celebrate finishing my first Ironman triathlon and when I tell them that's the reason they don't say a word. It's not easy to criticize an ironman (irongirl!) Women notice it more than men do.

One of these days I'll get one of those dangly ones so I can wear it when I go out and have a bare midriff. I think those look nice and girly.

I've never seen another guy with one. I say just do it! Remember to keep it really clean - you don't want to get an infection. It's not very painful either, just a pinch. It's sore for a while afterwards.

Go for it!!! Iri :)

Guest Crossroads

Ever since I saw one of my best friends with a zipper on their belly button, I've wanted a belly button piercing.

Not going to do it because I don't have the patience to take care of it.

But I think they're neat.

If you want it, get it. Just get something small that won't poke through your shirts.

You only live once.

Fellow belly button piercing lover!!

Guest Frank67

I have some piercings and I had belly button piercing for a long time, too. But I removed it because of 2 reasons, I gain weight and got a little tummy and I think I am too old for it, but I got my right nipple pierced 3 weeks ago *ouch* That hurts much more than the belly button piercing.

My friends didn't care. They just asked me why I have one. All I said was, "I justed wanted it" and everyone was fine with it. Ok - I had some problems with my parents, but hey - it is my life and my body.

If it is healed there is no need to take too much care of it, just clean it once a while and at the beginning avoid to tight pants, cuz the ring could grow out if it is irritable all the time.

Like Crossroads wrote if you want it, get it

If you use something like this, it shouldn't be visible under a t-shirt

Naval2-main_Full.jpg

Guest April63
April

Weird? Doesn't that go back to your normal topic..but really don't be so conflicted wait on the belly piercing your button isn't going anywhere you can pierce it at a later date and still be the April you want to be..tomorrow isn't a neccesity.....

Yeah, I could wait, but I want it now... Actually, I just want to be a girl now :(

April I pieced both ears 25 years ago! No one CARES!

Pierce your darn belly button and enjoy life. Anyone asks, tell em you were drunk!

Lizzy

Great advice to give a 17 year old!?

Anyway, so maybe I'll get one soon. But does anyone know how you get one? Like do I need a parent's consent or anything? Or can I just walk in and pay and get it done?

April

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

I didn't like it when I had mine done. (first piercing I ever got!) It was constantly rubbing on my jeans and wouldn't heal. Eventually I just took it out. still have the scar from it.

Guest Elizabeth K
Great advice to give a 17 year old!?

April

You are 17 going on 27! We have had that discussion, favorite growl bear!

Besides - I live in Louisiana and to drink socially and responsibly is an art learned at an eary age, and even so the excuse "I was drunk" doesn't have to be exactly accurate!

Lizzy

Yeah, I could wait, but I want it now... Actually, I just want to be a girl now :(

I understand that April and if you think that a navel piercing will make you feel closer to that, then you should do it.

But you will not be able to hide it 100% of the time and especially not if you have any sort of infection and the incidents of infection are a lot higher in most body piercings than in ear piercings.

You have to keep it very clean while it heals and that is harder to do with something that is rubbing against the inside of your shirt all of the time and in your pajamas - I'm not trying to scare you because even the infections aren't that bad if treated properly but it is hard to keep that hidden from your parents.

It is your decission and if it will make you feel that you are on your way, then do it.

You are the only one who can decide and if some jerk asks you if those aren't for girls just ask him, "Why because their tougher than you?"

And smile - it drives people crazy.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest April63

17 going on 27? Well, in that case, time does fly! I thought it was 16 going on 17, but I must be wrong... need to find the Sound of Music...

I don't think ear piercings really look that great on guys. So I don't really want to get my ears pierced until I'm more full time (if that ever happens). Also, my parents would freak and probably make me take them out. And everyone at church as well.

I know you have to keep it clean, but I don't think I'll have too many problems. I don't really wear tight shirts, and my pants are low enough.

But we'll see.

April

Guest Little Sara

I don't think people at church would even notice ear piercings, unless you wore big dangly earrings. Studs don't stand out much.