• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First Time Trying To Pass

Guest Elizabeth K

Guest Elizabeth K

I have posted here forever, so it might be of interest for everyone to know that although I often present female and apparently pass in public, I have never actively TRIED to pass, where I had to use my girl voice and my 'attitude' to make it work. :blush:

Yesterday I had this chance, took it, and passed very well. It must have been a good day for me, because I actually was dressed presenting male. :P

I took my wife to her Dr's appointment. When we got to the office I was ahead of her as she had stopped to use the bathroom. So I went up to the receptionist window and asked for the sign in form - "yes ma'm right here" (MA'M???), I signed it for my wife, waiting for her to come in. The receptionist said, "Mrs. xxxxx, I need you to fill this information form to see if it is current." (MRS???) So I took it and reviewed it and said it was. She asked me to sign it and have a seat. That's when I chickened out and said, ummmm... "Actually I am waiting for my wife to come in and she can sign it then." She said, "You aren't Mrs. xxxxx?" "No," I said, "I am her husband." The poor receptionist blinked a couple of times and then backpeddled - "I am so sorry..." etc... I said, "No problem, I am looking kinda androgynous these days." She just stared at me... :rolleyes:

I was so thrilled to get by with it - this was at an ObGyn office. I could have probably played it to them taking me into the exam room - wow. And I as NOT particularly presenting female, no make-up, no purse, no earrings. But I did do the attitude part. IT WORKS! I am able to pass! I think it was my long hair and HRT feminized face. :blink:

My wife was fine. The Dr. knows us both and he is a great person. I wanted to ask him if he had ever had a transgender patient, but I kept my mouth shut because my wife was so upset anyway because of the exam. He looked at me very closely! I am sure I stirred it up at the Dr's office yesterday - probably STILL talking about it!. My first try at passing and it worked - the receptionist was looking right at me! It was the voice - I had it! I passed! :lol:

Afterward, we went to Sephora at the Mall, walked in - 'hello ladies!' The started our showing me cosmetics, realized somewhere along the line I wasn't probably what they thought I was, switched over to showing me skin care products. It was fun! :P

BUT it wasn't that way all day. I am having trouble passing male, I am not always able to pass as female. I never really know what to expect anymore. Went to a restaurant. I watched one table - two twenty-something couples - they finally caught on I wasn't a natal woman. They were very rude and stared at me a bit - I hadn't had that before - the overt rudeness and laughing - probably their age had something to do with it - college kids, guys showing they are macho. :( Anyway, I was NOT presenting female.

Much later a trio of teen girls finally noticed me - heard my voice probably, and did a double take or two, but were polite. The waitress didn't bat an eye - she knew I was the one with the credit card. I think being androgynous is harder than presenting female, because everyone reads you. If I had had on my make-up and earrings, I would have done better. ;)

Interesting day!

Lizzy

Guest Donna Jean

Lizzy.....

These are the sort of things that our lives all move towards...

It's all we wanted in the first place ...just to be treated as our real gender and we all work so hard for that.

There will be those times in our futures when we get the stares and remarks....but as we continue, those become less and less...

Liz....your day was most amazing....you're heading where you need to be....

Don't wait for us....we'll get there, too.....Keep your head up, Hon.....

You did GREAT!

Cha Ching! One "ATTA GIRL" out of petty cash for Elizabeth!

Donna Jean

Guest ~Brenda~

Hey Lizzy,

I told you that you passed!! I think it is awesome that you are at the stage where you are having difficulty passing as "male" even if you thought you had to.. kudos!! There is no doubt that you are so well on your way!! The spontaneous acceptance of you being female at the doctors office and the mall must have been just so rewarding and what an affirmation that you are really there!! You are now who you really are! Imagine, you passed as female when you did not even try!!!

I am so, just so, bursting with joy for you!!

Love you

bernii

P.S. Don't worry about the rude treatment by the 20 somethings. At that age, they think they know everything, but know nothing.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker
But I did do the attitude part. IT WORKS! I am able to pass!

I've been trying to tell you this. Kids these days, they never listen. ;)

Goooo Lizzy One!

Guest angie

Check This Out,

I hit my two year mark in transition,May Fifth.

Never in a million years would I have guessed at much I would change.

I am a mountain biker,riding all over town,using the bus to get me long distances.

It is while waiting for the bus,on the bus,riding down the street...I have guys whistle,

give me shout outs,flirt with me.(Me)Who used to be such a masculine man.Unbelieveable.

(LOL)

Lucky girl,

Angie

I can't believe that I didn't respond to this one, one of my very best friends had wonderful news and I said nothing. :(

Oh wait, that was my horrible day - good thing I didn't post then! :o

Well here is a late congratulations and WooHoo! for you Lizzy! :)

That's just the first of many for you lady. :D

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean
Check This Out,

I am a mountain biker,riding all over town,using the bus to get me long distances.

It is while waiting for the bus,on the bus,riding down the street...I have guys whistle,

give me shout outs,flirt with me.(Me)Who used to be such a masculine man.Unbelieveable.

(LOL)

Lucky girl,

Angie

Yes, Hon...one lucky girl you are, too!!

You've changed a whole bunch, I'll bet! Flirts. whistles...oh my!

Masculine man??? Feminine woman!!!!

Congradulations, Hon....you fully deserve it...a long road.....and you have arrived!

Best wishes...

Donna Jean

Check This Out,

(LOL)

Lucky girl,

Angie

And a huge congratulations to you too, Angie!

I hope that things will go that well for me when I get started - my appointment for the blood work is Monday!

It's too late to ask you to wait for me and since you are a mountain biker, I'll never catch up but at least I know I'll be on the same path.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest JCinDenver

Congrats!

I know where your coming from. Last week my wife & I went out for sushi, we hadn't been to this place before & needed help ordering. The 20 something waitress sad next to me & went over the menu. I talked to her several times that nite. As we left she said good nite ladies!

I'm not wearing makeup, I'm in jeans & a plain old shirt. It's funny when you PASS when your not even trying!

Guest mia 1

Congrats to you both..Lizzie no surprise. Look in the mirror what else do you think people would say to you except thank you Ma'am.

And Angie what mountains do you ride your mtn. bike on...because if you're wearing Lycra and guys are whistling at you...say YAHOO! to yourself and that shout it out.....Out Out Shout it OUT!!!!!!!MIA

Guest Pioneer
BUT it wasn't that way all day. I am having trouble passing male, I am not always able to pass as female. I never really know what to expect anymore. Went to a restaurant. I watched one table - two twenty-something couples - they finally caught on I wasn't a natal woman. They were very rude and stared at me a bit - I hadn't had that before - the overt rudeness and laughing - probably their age had something to do with it - college kids, guys showing they are macho. :( Anyway, I was NOT presenting female.

Some people will never mature. I've seen older people acting just like that to anyone. I want to smack them all.

But despite that, Lizzy, it seems you acted like a classy lady no matter where you went. ;) They should be ashamed for their rudeness.

Congrats on having an interesting day. :)